Alison C. Morris is an associate in the firm's Employment, Labor, Benefits and Immigration Practice Group. Ms. Morris's practice is multidisciplinary, with emphasis on litigation, counseling and support of corporate transactions.
Ms. Morris litigates single-plaintiff and class action disputes on behalf of management. Recent highlights include defense of ERISA and Fair Credit Reporting Act claims on behalf of two Fortune 500 companies. Ms. Morris defends against discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims and has obtained multiple dismissals with no finding of probable cause at the federal and state agency level, obtained dismissal of a complaint from the District of New Jersey, and reached favorable resolutions for clients through mediation. Ms. Morris also has experience defending against collective action claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Counseling is another component of Ms. Morris's practice. She conducts wage and hour audits, including reviews of employer wage and hour policies, job classifications and timekeeping practices. She counsels employers and human resources professionals on administration of leaves of absence under the Family and Medical Leave Act and corresponding state law; drafts employee handbooks and related policies; and guides employers through reductions in force, assisting in the implementation of the RIF and drafting severance agreements.
Additionally, Ms. Morris assists in complex corporate transactions with respect to employment matters. Her experience includes analysis and resolution of potential employee-notification obligations under federal and state WARN laws; drafting employment agreements, independent contractor agreements and restrictive covenant agreements; and review of employee data to ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
Before entering private practice, Ms. Morris served as judicial law clerk to the Hon. Robert G. Millenky of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Civil Division.
Ms. Morris is a 2009 graduate of Rutgers School of Law Camden, where she was the recipient of the Paul C. Ireton Award for highest cumulative grade point average of the Class of 2009, associate managing editor of the Rutgers Law Journal, and a participant in Hunter Moot Court. Ms. Morris received her bachelor's degree in psychology in 2005 from The College of New Jersey.
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on behalf of a national drugstore chain with respect to claims arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey on behalf of Campbell Soup Company with respect to claims arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act
- Represented Brace Industrial Group L.P., a Houston-based industrial services roll-up, in its acquisition of Basic Industries, LLC, for approximately $33 million
- Obtained an exemption from Wisconsin's One Day of Rest in Seven Law on behalf of AFP advanced food products llc
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Rutgers School of Law - Camden, J.D., with highest honors, 2009
- Associate Managing Editor, Rutgers Law Journal
- The College of New Jersey, B.A., 2005
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2012-present
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Associate, 2010-2012
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Civil Division
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Hon. Robert G. Millenky, 2009-2010
- Author, "SEC Declares Open Season on Employee Agreements," Duane Morris Alert, April 6, 2015
- Co-author, "DOL Issues FMLA Final Rule Recognizing Same-Sex Marriages and Establishing "Place of Celebration" as New Rule for Defining Spouse," Duane Morris Alert, February 24, 2015
- Author, "Third Circuit Sets Standard for Return to Work Under the Family and Medical Leave Act," Duane Morris Alert, September 2, 2014
- Author, "Philadelphia Employers Required to Provide Written Notice of Employment Law Protections for Pregnant Women by April 20, 2014," Duane Morris Alert, April 10, 2014
- Author, "Delaware Enacts Volunteer Emergency Responders Job Protection Act," Duane Morris Alert, September 12, 2013
- Author, "U.S. Supreme Court Finds Affirmative Action Admission Policies Unconstitutional Absent Passing Strict Scrutiny Standards," Duane Morris Alert, June 25, 2013
- Co-author, "DOL Issues Final FMLA Regulations," Duane Morris Alert, February 25, 2013
- Author, "National Labor Relations Board Launches Website to Educate Nonunion Employees," Duane Morris Alert, June 29, 2012
- Co-author, "Representing the Company and Its Constituents," New Jersey Lawyer, December 2011
- Contributing author, "Employee Benefits and the Unionized Workforce," Chapter 14 in ERISA—A Comprehensive Guide, Aspen Publishers, Inc., 4th Edition, 2011
- Co-author, "An Activist National Labor Relations Board and Department of Labor," ASHHRA Report, Fall 2011
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice 2014, Philadelphia, May 8, 2014
- "Pitfalls of Employee Background Checks Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act," November 5, 2013