Alyson Walker Lotman
- Duane Morris LLP
30 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-4196
Phone: +1 215 979 1177
Fax: +1 215 689 4961
Alyson Walker Lotman practices in the area of litigation, focusing on products liability litigation, including pharmaceutical, mass tort, and toxic tort litigation. Ms. Lotman also has defended pharmaceutical manufacturers against failure to warn claims in state court. Ms. Lotman has extensive experience in all phases of litigation, including significant experience deposing plaintiffs and fact witnesses, supervising the assembly of plaintiff medical and other records as well as client e-discovery, drafting a wide range of motions, and participating in trial preparation and at trial.
Ms. Lotman is a 2007 cum laude graduate of Villanova University School of Law, where she was editor in chief for the Villanova Environmental Law Journal, and a magna cum laude graduate of Bucknell University.
- Won an appeal for Ford Motor Company in the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, affirming summary judgment in a product liability case in which the plaintiff contended that Ford was liable for its English subsidiary's products under the "apparent manufacturer" doctrine and the "piercing the corporate veil" theory.
- Obtained a defense verdict, after a two-week trial, on behalf of a leading motor vehicle company, where the jury found the plaintiff's pleural mesothelioma was caused by therapeutic radiation treatments he received as a teenager and not asbestos exposure.
- Representing Paraguayan client in seeking return of child to home country pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a defendant where plaintiff claimed asbestos attributable to the client caused a decedent's mesothelioma and subsequent death. Plaintiff's claims included an attempt to pierce the corporate veil to hold the client liable for its wholly owned subsidiary.
- Drafted motions and provided other trial support for trial team that obtained a defense verdict for a major automotive manufacturer following a five-and-a-half week trial involving a peritoneal mesothelioma claim brought by a 44-year-old gentleman. The matter involved a unique claim for design defect of company’s braking system.
- Obtained on behalf of a motor vehicle company, in a significant asbestos-related appeal before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, a reversal of an order granting a mistrial and a reinstatement of a defense verdict from the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Obtained decision from Pennsylvania Supreme Court that the “each and every breath” theory of causation lacks general acceptance under Frye in Betz v. Pneumo Abex.
- Serve as MDL counsel for major automobile manufacturer in MDL-875 In re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
Editor in Chief, Villanova Environmental Law Journal
- Bucknell University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2004
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2007-present
- Co-author, "FACT Act Promises Transparency in Bankruptcy Trust Claims and Payments for Asbestos Exposure," Duane Morris Alert, November 18, 2013
- Co-author, "'Every Breath' Theory: On Its Last Breaths? Duane Morris Alert, January 22, 2013
- Co-author, "Third Circuit Ruling Affords Defendants Protection from Amended Complaints After Statute of Limitations Runs Out," Duane Morris Alert, September 10, 2012
- Co-author, "Two-disease Rule No More: Pennsylvania Allows Multiple Malignancy Claims," Duane Morris Alert, February 24, 2012
- Co-author, "Top 10 Tips for Defending Mass Torts in New Jersey," New Jersey Lawyer, August 2011
- Co-author, "Preemption of State Court Motor Vehicle Products Liability Claims After Williamson: Is Preemption Over?" CorporateLiveWire, August 2, 2011
- Co-author, "New Pennsylvania Law Limits Joint and Several Liability," Duane Morris Alert, June 29, 2011
- Co-author, "Top 10 Tips for Defending Mass Torts in New Jersey," LJN's Product Liability Law & Strategy, June 2011
- "A Field of Failed Dreams: Problems Passing Effective Ecoterrorism Legislation," Comment published in Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Volume 18, Issue 1