Christopher E. Bender practices in the area of real estate law and municipal finance. Mr. Bender's practice includes acquisitions and dispositions of real property, commercial financing, leasing and tax-exempt public financing.
- Represented client in the acquisition of a twenty-three property portfolio in Lakewood, Colorado for a purchase price of $104 million. The portfolio consisted of twenty-one office buildings and two development parcels. In conjunction with the acquisition, represented client in obtaining a $79.5 million purchase money mortgage loan to finance the acquisition.
- Represented American Realty Capital Properties, Inc. (NASDAQ: ARCP), a NASDAQ-traded real estate investment trust (REIT), with respect to real estate aspects of a merger transaction valued at $3.1 billion to acquire American Realty Capital Trust IV, Inc., a "non-traded" REIT. The combined company as a result of the merger will have pro forma enterprise value of over $10 billion and is the largest REIT in the triple net lease sector.
- Represented an American petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer in documenting the transfer of an industrial complex to subsidiaries for $60 million.
- Served as co-underwriter’s counsel for a syndicate of investment banking firms that sold $85,050,000 million in tax-exempt revenue refunding bonds.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel for a syndicate of investment banking firms that sold two series of tax-exempt bonds aggregating over $210,000,000 across six sub-series of subordinate and convertible capital appreciation bonds.
- Represented non-profit organization in obtaining variance from local zoning code to operate a shelter and resource center for individuals transitioning from incarceration.
- Represented non-profit organization in successful appeal before the City of Philadelphia Board of Revision of Taxes to reclassify real property as tax-exempt.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2012
- Georgetown University, M.A., 2006
- Cornell University, B.S., 2004
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2012-present
- Co-author, "Pennsylvania Supreme Court Weighs in on Amendments to Pa. Oil and Gas Act," Duane Morris Alert, December 23, 2013
- Author, "Amendments to Pennsylvania’s Uniform Condominium Act and Uniform Planned Communities Act," Duane Morris Alert, September 11, 2013
- Co-author, "New Jersey Enacts Statutory Reforms to Eminent Domain Powers Under Local Redevelopment and Housing Law," Duane Morris Alert, September 11, 2013
- Co-author, "N.J. Superior Court Finds That Condemning Authority Is Not Required to Negotiate with Mortgagee Prior to Initiation of Eminent Domain Action," Duane Morris Alert, February 21, 2013
- Co-author, "Pa. Superior Court Extends Protection of Implied Warranty of Habitability to Subsequent Purchasers of a Newly Constructed Home," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2012; republished in Real Estate Law360, Pennsylvania Law360 and Contract Law360, January 15, 2013
- Co-author, "N.J. Supreme Court Decides Level of Causation Required to Seek Damages Under the Spill Act," Duane Morris Alert, October 12, 2012