David N. Feldman concentrates his practice on corporate and securities law and mergers and acquisitions, as well as general representation of public and private companies, entrepreneurs, investors, and private equity and venture capital firms. Mr. Feldman also advises emerging growth companies with regard to alternatives to traditional financing through initial public offerings. He is also considered an authority on public offerings through the recently implemented SEC Regulation A+. Mr. Feldman is also a member of the firm's Cuba Business Group.
Mr. Feldman has authored three books on finance and entrepreneurship, and contributed to three other books. His popular blog at http://www.davidfeldmanblog.com/, focusing on entrepreneurship and the regulatory environment, has been recognized by LexisNexis as a Top 25 corporate law blog, and his videos appear on his YouTube channel, The Entrepreneur’s Advocate. He also writes a column for SmartCEO magazine called “The Uncut Entrepreneur.”
Mr. Feldman is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has served as chair of the board of Wharton’s global alumni association. To view a video featuring Mr. Feldman discussing his practice, click here.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Private Equity
- Securities Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Double Down Asset Management, LLC in its $1.8 million investment in Step Ahead Innovations, LLC, doing business as MindStream, consisting of common and preferred stock.
- Represented GreenKissNY, Inc. in its $3 million initial public offering under SEC Regulation A+.
- Represented GreenKissNY Inc. in connection with its $2 million private placement of equity securities.
- Represented Phoenix Color Corp. in sale of company to Visant Corp. for $219 million.
- Represented VirnetX Inc. in its going public transaction. It later settled a patent claim with Microsoft for more than $200 million.
- Represented MetSchools and affiliates in the sale of the Claremont School in Manhattan to Meritas LLC.
- Represented Protea Biosciences Inc. in its going public transaction in 2011 and multiple additional financings through 2014 totaling approximately $20 million.
- Represented Eastern Air Lines Group Inc. in $2.5 million private placement.
- Represented shell in reverse merger of Intra-Cellular Therapies, Inc., now with a $1 billion market cap.
- Represented DFA Intercultural Worldwide LLC in its sale to Dwellworks LLC.
- Represented Vertical Lend Inc. in its sale to Upright Holdings Inc.
- Represented Sunrise Securities Corp. as underwriter for public offering of $12 million by Liqtech International Inc.
- Represented MetSchools, Inc in the offering of up to $6 million in notes.
- Represented investment bank in going public transaction of pharmaceutical company and related financing of approximately $5 million.
- Represented Livewire Mobile, Inc. in its acquisition of FoneStarz Medial Group Limited.
- Represented DanDrit Biotechnology Corp. in its going public transaction and $6 million public offering thereafter.
- Represented Leviathan Minerals Group, Inc. in its going public transaction and related $5 million offering of securities through Northland Securities Inc. as placement agent.
- Represented Splinternet Holdings, Inc. (now Defentect Group Inc.) in going public through "self-filing" process.
- Represented investment bank in $5 million private offering for international mining company.
- Represented Lane Capital Markets LLC in $3 million offering by A&P OptMed Partners I, LLC to invest in OptMed Inc.
- Represented Biocontrol Ltd. in going public transaction with AmpliPhi Biosciences (formerly Targeted Genetics), a public operating company.
- Represented JDF Capital LLC in approximately 12 investments in convertible notes issued by public companies in amounts up to $500,000 each.
- Represented supermodel Carol Alt in endorsement deal for nutritional supplement with an equity ownership in the business.
- Represented shell in going public transaction of Cougar Biotechnology, later sold for approximately $1 billion.
- Represented public vehicle in going public transaction of Puma Biotechnology.
- Represented public vehicle in going public transaction of Emmaus Medical Inc.
- Created, took public and handled periodic SEC filings on behalf of approximately 200 Form 10 public vehicle companies between 2005 and 2015.
- New York
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1985
- Editor, Penn Law Forum student newspaper
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., Economics, 1982
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Richardson & Patel LLP
- Senior Partner, 2010-2015
- Feldman Weinstein & Smith LLP
- Partner, 1996-2010
- Feldman & Ellenoff
- Co-founder and Partner, 1992-1996
- Pryor Cashman LLP
- Senior Associate, 1988-1992
- Reavis & McGrath
- Associate, 1986-1988
- Rivkin Radler LLP
- Associate, 1985-1986
- Association for Corporate Growth, New York Chapter
- Former member, Board of Directors
- Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association
- Former President, Chair and Chair Emeritus of the Board of Directors
- New York Business Schools Club
- Founder and First President
Honors and Awards
- LexisNexis Award, Top 25 Corporate Law Blogs in the U.S., 2011 and 2012
- Mann Foundation's "Mann of the Year" Award for Financial Industry Attorney, April 2006
- Wharton School's Alumni Award for Distinguished Service, May 2005
- Wharton Club of New York's WP Carey Outstanding Alumni Award, April 2000
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Lawrence Woodmere Academy
- Member, Board of Trustees, 2005-2012
-- Vice-President, 2008-2012
- YRF Darca (charity aiding Israeli education)
- Board Member, 1990-present
- Quoted in, "SEC Forum Takes Stock of Reg A+ Market Progress," Growth Capitalist, November 23, 2016
- Quoted in PIPEs Report, "New Administration Signals Good Times for IPOs," November 15, 2016
- Quoted in Growth Capitalist, "Med-X's Reg A Offering Suspended by SEC for Late Filing," September 29, 2016
- Quoted in Growth Capitalist, "BeautyKind Gives it Another Go," regarding recent Regulation A transactions, September 15, 2016
- Quoted in Growth Capitalist "SEC Wins States' Court Challenge of Regulation A Rules," June 15, 2016
- Quoted in MG Magazine "SEC: Help or Hindrance?" April 2016
- Quoted in The PIPEs Report "Reg A+ offerings picking up speed," February 9, 2016
- Quoted in Growth Capitalist "State Regulators' Lawsuit Challenging Reg A+ Goes to Court," April 19, 2016
- Author, The Entrepreneur's Advocate blog regarding the regulatory environment, finance and entrepreneurship
- Chapter Author, Crowdfunding, John Wiley & Sons, 2014
- Author, The Entrepreneur's Growth Startup Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2013
- Author, Reverse Mergers and Other Alternatives to a Traditional IPO, Bloomberg Press, first edition, 2006, second edition, 2009
- Chapter Author, The Issuer's Guide to PIPEs, Bloomberg Press, 2009
- Chapter Author, PIPES: Revised and Updated Edition, Bloomberg Press, 2005
- Author, "The Uncut Entrepreneur," Monthly Column in SmartCEO Magazine
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Bringing Back the Small Cap IPO - Reg A 2017," Webcast from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, January 19, 2017
- Moderator, "State of the Cannabis Industry," Deals & Divas, New York, January 17, 2017
- Panelist, "Cannabis - Investing in One of the Fastest Growing Segments of the Life Sciences Industry," Association for Corporate Growth Westchester/Hudson chapter, Tarrytown, NY, December 9, 2016
- Panelist, "How Capital Formation Options Are Working for Small Businesses After the Implementation of the JOBS Act (David's presentation on Regulation A+ starts at approximately minute 34 on the webcast)," Securities and Exchange Commission's Government-Business Forum, November 17, 2016
- Panelist, "Regulation A+: The New 'Mini IPO,'" DealFlow Media Crowdfunding Conference, New York, October 2016
- Speaker, "Crowdfunding 101," New York City Bar Justice Center - Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project, Queens, NY, September 2016
- Speaker, "Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs," Venture for America bootcamp training for incoming Fellows, Providence, RI, July 2016
- Moderator, "Understanding Regulation A+ and the 'Mini-IPO'," 2016 Marcum Microcap Conference, June 2, 2016.
- Speaker, "Legal Issues for Cannabis Companies," Women Grow NYC Signature Networking Event, New York City, March 3, 2016
- Speaker, "Investing in the Emerging Cannabis Industry While Managing Risk," New York City Cannabis Investor Symposium, New York, January 13, 2016
- Host of Webinar, "Legal Issues in Starting a Business," Venture for America, January 12, 2016
- Speaker, "Hot Topics Roundtable Regulation A+: Issues & Applications," New York, November 12, 2015
- Panelist, "The New Era of Public Venture Capital: Status Report on the Reg A+ Market," Growth Capital Summit, Washington, D.C., November 2015
- Panelist, "Regulation A+," Securities Transfer Association Conference, October 2015
- Panelist, "Reg A Plus and Liquidity," First Look Equities Summit, Atlanta, September 29, 2015
- Speaker, "Alternative Public Offerings: Faster, More Cost-Efficient Access to Capital Markets," Strafford Webinar, September 17, 2015
- Host of YouTube video series "The Entrepreneur's Advocate"
- Moderator, "Corporate Governance," Marcum Capital Conference, May 2015
- Moderator, "Regulation A+," Growth Capital Expo, Las Vegas, April 2015
- Speaker, "Entrepreneurship," Columbia University Organization of Rising Entrepreneurs (CORE), February 2015
- Speaker, "Crowdfunding," Alliance of M&A Advisors Conference, January 2015
- Addressed a group of Ecuadorian-American entrepreneurs on entrepreneurship, December 2014
- Panelist, "IPOs," Brooklyn Law School, November 2014
- Panelist, "Accessing Capital," Axial Concord Conference, September 2014