Dennis J. Hough, Jr. practices in the area of energy law. Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Hough worked for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General Counsel, Energy Markets, drafting FERC orders regarding regional transmission organizations (RTOs), independent system operators (ISOs), energy generators and other energy companies.
Mr. Hough is a 2010 magna cum laude graduate of Duquesne University School of Law, where he was editor-in-chief of the Duquesne Business Law Journal, and a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to attending law school, he served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force, where he worked as a project engineer for construction projects. Mr. Hough is a licensed professional engineer and worked as an engineer in the construction industry before his military service.
Areas of Practice
- Energy Law
- Acted as Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) advisors and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) counsel in a series of major filings before both agencies which began the formal process for seeking a series of approvals, waivers and related Federal Power Act, Public Utilities Holding Company Act and Communications Act actions in an acquisition valued at several hundred million dollars.
- Provided federal energy regulatory advice with respect to a $1.3 billion equity funding for proposed natural gas liquefaction and a LNG loading facility.
- Represents an international developer of LNG facilities in FERC's NEPA pre-filing and NGA Section 3 LNG terminal authorization proceedings.
- District of Columbia
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- Editor-in-Chief, Duquesne Business Law Journal, Vol. 12
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S., Civil Engineering, 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2012-present
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General Counsel, Energy Markets
- Attorney, 2010-2012
- U.S. Air Force, First Lieutenant
- Engineering Flight Chief, 2006-2007
- Project Manager, 2004-2006
- Vollmer Associates
- Project Engineer – Design, 2003-2004
- Dick Corporation
- Project Engineer – Construction, 2001-2003
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Co-author, "D.C. Circuit Ruling Upholds New Ground Rules in Development of Electric Transmission Infrastructure," Duane Morris Alert, August 27, 2014
- Author, "EPA Appears to Have Green Light to Develop Regulations on Utility Power Plant Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Duane Morris Alert, June 30, 2014
- Author, "D.C. Circuit Ruling Has Potential Implications for Natural Gas Pipeline and LNG Projects Under FERC Environmental Review," Duane Morris Alert, June 24, 2014
- Co-author, "FERC Continues Its Enforcement of Hydropower Safety Regulations with Approval of Stipulation and Consent Agreement," Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2014
- Co-author, "Manufacturers Beware: DOE's Program of Compliance with Energy and Water Conservation Standards Comes to Life!" Duane Morris Alert, April 30, 2013
- Author, "World Trade Organization Agreements and Principles as a Vehicle for the Attainment of Energy Security," 9 Rich. J. Global L. & Bus. 199 (2010)
- Author, Case Note, "Stoneridge Investment Partners, LLC v.Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., 552 U.S. 148 (2008)," 11 Duq. Bus. L.J. 61 (2008)