Dennis J. Hough, Jr. practices in the area of energy law. Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Hough worked for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General Counsel, Energy Markets, drafting FERC orders regarding regional transmission organizations (RTOs), independent system operators (ISOs), energy generators and other energy companies.
Mr. Hough is a 2010 magna cum laude graduate of Duquesne University School of Law, where he was editor-in-chief of the Duquesne Business Law Journal, and a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to attending law school, he served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force, where he worked as a project engineer for construction projects. Mr. Hough is a licensed professional engineer and worked as an engineer in the construction industry before his military service.
Areas of Practice
- Energy Law
- Acts as counsel to a Regional Transmission Organization on a broad range of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) matters involving wholesale electricity markets, provision of transmission service, generator interconnection procedures, service agreements, FPA 205 filings, complaints, cost allocation, system support resource agreements, joint operating agreements with other RTOs and ISOs, tariff rules and administration, and NERC compliance issues.
- Advised a large institutional investor in its $1.3 billion investment in Freeport LNG's $4 billion construction project to build the first two trains of its natural gas liquefaction and LNG loading facility on Quintana Island near Freeport, Texas.
- In a pro bono representation, successfully petitioned for special immigrant juvenile status for two minor children from Honduras before the D.C. Superior Court Family Division, the Department of Homeland Security, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Secured a major order from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission authorizing the acquisition of a power company by an infrastructure investment firm. The complex series of regulatory approvals included the authorization to acquire the power company from a Midwest holding company; the authorization to the power company to issue securities; notice of certain "market based rate" authorization changes as well as certain changes affecting the power company's hydroelectric facilities; and the filing of "public utility holding company" status.
- Acted as Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) advisors and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) counsel in a series of major filings before both agencies which began the formal process for seeking a series of approvals, waivers and related Federal Power Act, Public Utilities Holding Company Act and Communications Act actions in an acquisition valued at several hundred million dollars.
- Provided federal energy regulatory advice with respect to a $1.3 billion equity funding for proposed natural gas liquefaction and a LNG loading facility.
- Represents an international developer of LNG facilities in FERC's NEPA pre-filing and NGA Section 3 LNG terminal authorization proceedings.
- District of Columbia
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- Editor-in-Chief, Duquesne Business Law Journal, Vol. 12
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S., Civil Engineering, 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2012-present
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Office of the General Counsel, Energy Markets
- Attorney, 2010-2012
- U.S. Air Force, First Lieutenant
- Engineering Flight Chief, 2006-2007
- Project Manager, 2004-2006
- Vollmer Associates
- Project Engineer – Design, 2003-2004
- Dick Corporation
- Project Engineer – Construction, 2001-2003
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, American Lawyer, "Global Finance Deal of the Year in Project Finance," Global Legal Awards, New York, 2015
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Co-author, "FERC Environmental Reviews Withstand Court Scrutiny But Questions Remain," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 33, No. 3, 2016
- Co-author, "NY Energy Initiative May Offer Nationwide Framework," Law360, June 17, 2016
- Co-author, "FERC Rejects Jordan Cove LNG Project," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 33, No. 2, 2016
- Co-author, "US Federal Energy Regulatory Considerations for the non-US Lawyer," International Energy Law Review, Volume 34, No. 1, 2016
- Co-author, "FERC Proposes New Guidance For Natural Gas Project Applicants and Developers," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 33, No. 1, 2016
- Co-author, "What Does U.S. Supreme Court Decision Upholding FERC's Authority over Demand Response Mean for the Future of FERC's Jurisdiction?" Duane Morris Alert, February 19, 2016
- Co-author, "Where Does FERC Oil Pipeline Jurisdiction End?," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 32, No. 4, 2015
- Co-author, "LNG Export Project Developments at FERC," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 32, No. 3, 2015
- Co-author, "EPA Proposes New Emission Rules Affecting the Oil and Natural Gas Industries," Duane Morris Alert, August 19, 2015
- Co-author, "FERC Green-lights Puerto Rico Offshore LNG Import Terminal; Project's Ocean-Going Regasification Unit Is First of Its Kind Before the FERC," Duane Morris Alert, July 28, 2015
- Co-author, "CEQ Issues Draft Greenhouse Gas Guidance," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Newsletter, Volume 32, No. 2, 2015
- Co-author, "Possible Shift of Perspectives on Breadth of NEPA Review; CEQ's Draft Greenhouse Gas Guidance," Duane Morris Alert, May 4, 2015
- Co-author, "FERC Sets Ginna Nuclear Facility Agreement for Hearing," Duane Morris Alert, April 16, 2015
- Co-author, "Electricity Policy Shifts Are Gaining Momentum in New York," Duane Morris Alert, March 20, 2015
- Co-author, "D.C. Circuit Ruling Upholds New Ground Rules in Development of Electric Transmission Infrastructure," Duane Morris Alert, August 27, 2014
- Author, "EPA Appears to Have Green Light to Develop Regulations on Utility Power Plant Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Duane Morris Alert, June 30, 2014
- Author, "D.C. Circuit Ruling Has Potential Implications for Natural Gas Pipeline and LNG Projects Under FERC Environmental Review," Duane Morris Alert, June 24, 2014
- Co-author, "FERC Continues Its Enforcement of Hydropower Safety Regulations with Approval of Stipulation and Consent Agreement," Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2014
- Co-author, "Energy Disconnect: Misguided Policies Threaten Resource Adequacy," Public Utilities Fortnightly, August 2013
- Co-author, "Manufacturers Beware: DOE's Program of Compliance with Energy and Water Conservation Standards Comes to Life!" Duane Morris Alert, April 30, 2013
- Author, "World Trade Organization Agreements and Principles as a Vehicle for the Attainment of Energy Security," 9 Rich. J. Global L. & Bus. 199 (2010)
- Author, Case Note, "Stoneridge Investment Partners, LLC v.Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., 552 U.S. 148 (2008)," 11 Duq. Bus. L.J. 61 (2008)