Edward M. Cramp is the managing partner of the firm's San Diego office. Mr. Cramp is a higher education attorney who focuses on representing private postsecondary education institutions. He advises his clients in all areas of operations, including the application of state and federal laws, regulations and accreditation standards. He also represents and advises clients in civil rights matters, including defending against claims by students and employees in areas such as the ADA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Title IX of the Higher Education Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and analogous state laws. He advises clients on a range of business issues, such as mergers and acquisitions, licensing, trademark and copyright.
Mr. Cramp is active in the private postsecondary education community. He serves as general counsel to the American Association of Cosmetology Schools, the California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools, and the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation. He regularly speaks on a wide range of issues pertaining to the sector.
Mr. Cramp served on active duty and in the reserves as a judge advocate in the United States Navy, where he was appointed to the rank of Lieutenant Commander. During his time in the services, he defended numerous matters before courts-martial convened in the United States Armed Forces. He also represented the interests of the United States in actions involving claims brought against and on behalf of the Navy.
Mr. Cramp has served as an advisor to and a member of the board of directors of the San Diego Association of Business Trial Lawyers. Admitted to practice in California and Illinois, Mr. Cramp is a graduate, with honors, of the Illinois Institute of Technology's Chicago-Kent College of Law and a graduate of the University of California, Riverside.
Areas of Practice
- Higher Education
- Business Litigation
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Supreme Court of California
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1996
- University of California, Riverside, B.A. Economics, B.A. Political Science, 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Associate, 2003-2006
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP, San Diego, California
- Associate, 2001-2003
- United States Navy, Judge Advocate General's Corps, San Diego, California
- Trial Attorney, Judge Advocate, 1996-2000
- General Counsel, American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- General Counsel, California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools
- Member, Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Naval Reserve Association
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Coach, Presidio Little League