Edward M. Cramp is the managing partner of the firm's San Diego office. Mr. Cramp is a higher education attorney who focuses on representing private postsecondary education institutions. He advises his clients in all areas of operations, including the application of state and federal laws, regulations and accreditation standards. He also represents and advises clients in civil rights matters, including defending against claims by students and employees in areas such as the ADA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Title IX of the Higher Education Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and analogous state laws. He advises clients on a range of business issues, such as mergers and acquisitions, licensing, trademark and copyright.
Mr. Cramp is active in the private postsecondary education community. He serves as general counsel to the American Association of Cosmetology Schools, the California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools, and the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation. He regularly speaks on a wide range of issues pertaining to the sector.
Mr. Cramp served on active duty and in the reserves as a judge advocate in the United States Navy, where he was appointed to the rank of Lieutenant Commander. During his time in the services, he defended numerous matters before courts-martial convened in the United States Armed Forces. He also represented the interests of the United States in actions involving claims brought against and on behalf of the Navy.
Mr. Cramp has served as an advisor to and a member of the board of directors of the San Diego Association of Business Trial Lawyers. Admitted to practice in California and Illinois, Mr. Cramp is a graduate, with honors, of the Illinois Institute of Technology's Chicago-Kent College of Law and a graduate of the University of California, Riverside.
- Represented a large California college before the Commission on Dental Auxiliaries (COMDA) and the California Dental Board. Before the college engaged Duane Morris, COMDA recommended revocation of its approval of the college's Dental Assistant Program. Duane Morris successfully convinced the Dental Board to return the matter to COMDA with a recommendation to reinvestigate the matter. A favorable outcome was achieved culminating with COMDA approving the Dental Assistant Program.
- Defended a nationally-accredited college in an alleged sexual harassment and retaliation claim by a student. The student dismissed her claims during the arbitration hearing following an aggressive investigation and cross-examination.
- Defended a California private post-secondary school in an investigation by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). The investigated an instructor's claim of sexual harassment and retaliation. Counseled client through the process of terminating the manager who engaged in the alleged harassing conduct. Convinced the DFEH to make a finding of no actionable harassment or retaliation.
- Represented a Texas educational institution in an investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights. The OCR investigated a claim of disability discrimination and failure to comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Counseled client to ensure compliance with federal law. The OCR subsequently dismissed the claim.
- Represented a large Ohio cosmetology school in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Labor concerning the exempt status of its instructors. The Department's investigator initially concluded the instructors were entitled to overtime pay. The matter resulted in finding that the instructors were exempt from overtime.
- Defended a California technical college against a fraud and wage and hour claim by a disgruntled employee. Successfully defeated the employee's attempt to bring a class action and enforced an arbitration provision. The arbitrator rendered a decision for the school.
- Represented a national fast food franchise against a sexual harassment claim against a supervisor. The case resulted in a verdict for the employer.
Areas of Practice
- Higher Education
- Business Litigation
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Supreme Court of California
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1996
- University of California, Riverside, B.A. Economics, B.A. Political Science, 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Associate, 2003-2006
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP, San Diego, California
- Associate, 2001-2003
- United States Navy, Judge Advocate General's Corps, San Diego, California
- Trial Attorney, Judge Advocate, 1996-2000
- General Counsel, American Association of Cosmetology Schools
- General Counsel, California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools
- Member, Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Naval Reserve Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Board of Governors
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Coach, Presidio Little League
- "Social Media: Dancing on the Edge of a Volcano," Duane Morris/BB&T John Burnham Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, October 2012
- "Don't Trip On the Way Out- The School Owner’s Guide to Heading for the Exits," AACS Annual Convention, Orlando, October 2012
- Keynote Speaker, CAPPS 2012 Annual Convention, Pasadena, California, October 2012
- "Director's Boot Camp," California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools, Newport Beach, California, August 15-16, 2012
- "The Educator's Guide to the ADA," AACS CEA Convention, July 2012
- Panel Speaker, "Federal Education Law Update," International Salon Spa Business Network Annual Meeting, March 2012
- "Sexual Harassment Prevention: Making Your School Title IX Compliant," AACS Spring Management Convention, Las Vegas, April 2012
- "Top 5 Ways to Lose Your Business Without Even Trying," AACS Annual Convention, October 2011
- Keynote Speaker, CAPPS 2011 Annual Convention
- "The School Owner's Guide to the ADA," CAPPS Annual Convention, 2011
- "Educator's Role in Compliance," AACS CEA Convention, July 2011
- "Federal Education Compliance Update," International Salon Spa Business Network Annual Meeting, April 2011
- Speaker, "Laying the Foundation: Hiring and Related Practices," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice, San Diego, May 20, 2010
- "Conducting Internal Investigations: Is Your Organization Prepared?" Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, September 24, 2009
- "Workplace Law and Practice 2009," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, May 20, 2009
- "Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Issues," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, April 17, 2009
- "The Employee Free Choice Act: Is Your Organization Prepared?" Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, March 17, 2009
- "Implementing the New FMLA Regulations in California," Duane Morris Workshop, San Diego, February 12, 2009
- "Top 10 Mistakes Employers Make During a Recession," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, January 16, 2009
- "Internet Highway Robbery: Protect Your Domain, Trademarks, & Copyrights from Cyberthieves," 2008 CCA Annual Convention
- "Katie Bar The Door! Protecting Yourself From Privacy Problems & Internet Scoundrels," 2008 AACS Spring Management Conference
- "Workplace Violence Prevention & Arbitration Tune Up," 2008 Duane Morris Employment Law Updates
- "How To Beat Back The Regulatory Huns: A Personal Battle Plan For Surviving The Regulatory Dark Ages," 2008 CAPPS Legislative Conference
- "Your Do-It-Yourself, Life Changing, School Saving, Non-Lawyer Enriching, School Director's Legal Boot Camp In A Box," 2008 CAPPS Director's Bootcamp
- "Lessons From The Legal & Regulatory Trenches," 2007 AACS Annual Convention
- "Wage & Hour Class Action Prevention Kit," 2007 PCEA Annual Meeting
- "Your Do-It-Yourself, Non-lawyer Enriching, Absolutely Free Personal Tort Reform Kit," 2007 AACS Spring Management Conference
- "Top 10 Reasons Why I'm Stuck In This ADA Lawsuit Instead Of Running The School," 2006 AACS Annual Convention
- "Wage & Hour Law: Learning To Pay What You Have To," 2006 AACS Spring Management Conference
- "Top 10 Management Practices To Use To Get Successfully Sued By Ungrateful Former Employees," 2005 AACS Annual Convention
- "Employee Handbooks and Recordkeeping," 2002 Council On Education In Management Seminar
- "When Johnny (or Jane) Comes Marching Home: Reemployment of Military Reservists," 2002 Employment Update