Elinor L. Hart practices in the area of commercial litigation and has experience representing businesses and individuals in commercial disputes and business torts. Ms. Hart also combines her commercial litigation experience with her education and experience in health law and advises healthcare entities and individual providers in the areas of healthcare litigation, healthcare fraud and abuse, and state and federal regulatory compliance.
Ms. Hart is a magna cum laude graduate of Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where she was an executive editor of student articles for the Loyola Law Journal and an editorial staff member of Annals of Health Law. Ms. Hart is also a graduate of Loyola University Chicago Graduate School of Business, where she earned a Master of Business Administration with an emphasis in Legal Environment.
- Obtained relief for a pro bono client, while working closely with the Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation, under the Illinois Justice for Victims of Sex Crimes Trafficking Act. The Act allows state courts to vacate prostitution convictions if the person convicted can show that they were a victim of trafficking at the time of the conviction.
- Representing Apollo Group, Inc. and University of Phoenix, Inc. as plaintiffs in litigation in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York concerning allegations of copyright infringement of copyrighted educational materials.
- Obtained on behalf of Sagi Genger and TPR Investment Associates, Inc., on behalf of AG Properties Co., a decision and order from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York granting a motion for sanctions against opposing parties and their counsel.
- Obtained permanent injunction prohibiting the City of Chicago from enforcing a tax ruling that required car-rental companies to collect transaction taxes on short-term car rental made outside the city to persons with Chicago addresses on their driver's licenses.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Healthcare Law and Litigation
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Loyola Law Journal, Executive Editor, Student Articles
- Annals of Health Law, Editorial Staff Member
- Health Law Certificate
- Loyola University Chicago School of Business, M.B.A.
- Northwestern University, B.A.
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2011-present
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Beazley Institute for Health Law and Policy Fellow, 2009-2011
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Franciscan Outreach Association, Young Professionals Board, Co-President
- Young Alumni Mentor, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Author, "Compounding Pharmacies Now Subject to Federal Oversight," Duane Morris Alert, December 2, 2013
- Author, "Senate HELP Committee Releases Revised Senate Bill Providing Federal Oversight for Compounding Pharmacies," Duane Morris Alert," July 30, 2013
- Co-author, "Governmental Agencies and Regulatory Boards Must Now Provide a Reasoned Explanation for Their Decisions in Illinois," Duane Morris Alert, July 25, 2013
- Author, "Compounding Legislation Goes Through Another Change: New House Bill on Federal Oversight," Duane Morris Alert, July 19, 2013
- Co-author, "FDA Issues Proposed Rules That Give FDA Administrative Detention Authority with Respect to Drugs," Duane Morris Alert, July 17, 2013
- Co-author, "CMS Lets the Sun Shine Down," FDLI Update, May/June 2013
- Co-author, "FDA Issues Guidance Detailing Specific Requirements for Quality Agreements for Commercial Drug Manufacturing," Duane Morris Alert, June 18, 2013
- Author, "Congress Drafts Compounding Legislation -- Defines Compounded Drugs as 'New Drugs' Under the FFDCA and Creates Bright Line Between 'Traditional Compounders' and 'Compounding Manufacturers,'" Duane Morris Alert, April 29, 2013
- Author, "FDA Emphasizes Patient-Specific Prescriptions," Duane Morris Alert, March 21, 2013
- Co-author, "Research-Related Payments and the Physician Payment Sunshine Act: How Reporting Works and What Applicable Manufacturers Should Consider," Duane Morris Alert, March 6, 2013; republished in Healthcare Law360, March 19, 2013
- Co-author, "CMS Publishes Physician Payment Sunshine Rules; Manufacturers and Group Purchasing Organizations Are Required to Submit Detailed Annual Reports," Duane Morris Alert, February 25, 2013
- Author, "HIPAA Minimum Necessary Standard Should Be Key Component of Policies and Procedures, Now More Than Ever," Duane Morris Alert, February 11, 2013
- Co-author, "FDA Suspends Sunland, Inc.; Major Peanut Butter Producer Hit with First Food Facility Suspension Under the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2011," Duane Morris Alert, November 30, 2012; republished by Life Sciences Law360, December 12, 2012
- Co-author, "Third Circuit Holds That Settlement Agreements Containing Payments from the Innovator to the Generic Challenger May Violate Antitrust Laws," Duane Morris Alert, July 23, 2012
- Co-author, "CMS Delays Data Collection Under ACA's Physician Payments Sunshine Act to January 1, 2013," Duane Morris Alert, May 9, 2012
- Co-author, "FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Affordable Care Act Prescription Drug Sample Transparency Program: Reporting Deadline Informally Extended to October 1, 2012," Duane Morris Alert, April 4, 2012
- Co-author, "HHS Releases Final Rule and Interim Final Rules on Affordable Care Act's State Health Insurance Exchanges," Duane Morris Alert, March 14, 2012
- Co-author, "Affordable Care Act's Prescription Drug Sample Transparency Program Set to Go into Effect April 1, 2012," Duane Morris Alert, March 13, 2012
- Co-author, "Supreme Court Addresses Whether Supremacy Clause Provides Private Right of Action to Challenge Medicaid Cuts in Douglas v. Independent Living Center," Duane Morris Alert, March 12, 2012
- Co-author, "Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Releases Proposed Rule on Reporting and Returning of Overpayments," Duane Morris Alert, March 8, 2012
- Co-author, "Log Rolling Versus the Single Subject Rule," The United States Law Week, February 28, 2012
- Co-author, "Decoding Incident-To and Provider Based Billing: Ensuring Payment and Avoiding Liability", 27 Journal of Medical Practice Management 4 (Jan./Feb. 2012)
- Co-author, "The FTC Revised Endorsement and Testimonial Guides—Advertisers of Dietary Supplements, Be Aware!", Food Drug Law Inst. 6 (Nov./Dec. 2010)