F. Reid Avett
- Duane Morris LLP
505 9th Street, N.W., Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20004-2166
Phone: +1 202 776 5212
Fax: +1 202 403 3061
F. Reid Avett practices in the area of corporate law, counseling clients on corporate, securities and regulatory matters. He also provides advice to clients in a variety of industries on corporate governance, finance and general contract preparation and review.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Avett worked for four years as an accountant. He is a North Carolina Certified Public Accountant.
Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and Maryland, Mr. Avett is a 2005 graduate of Emory University School of Law and a graduate of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.S., Business Administration; M.S., Accounting).
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Securities Law
- Represented a NASDAQ listed medical device manufacturer in a $7.5 million registered direct offering to an institutional investor.
- Represented a biomedical company in an alternative public offering, allowing the company to raise $21.5 million in a private placement financing in connection with a reverse merger into a publicly held company.
- Represented an investment bank, as underwriter and sole book running manager, in connection with the $7.2 million initial public offering by a NASDAQ listed diversified clean energy company.
- Represented an investment bank, as placement agent, in raising $15.0 million for a NASDAQ listed biomedical public company. In the offering, the company issued shares of either common stock and preferred stock as well as warrants to purchase common stock.
- Represented a NASDAQ listed intellectual property company in a $3.5 million PIPE transaction with a single institutional investor.
- Represented an investment bank, as placement agent, in a PIPE transaction consisting of convertible notes and warrants for a provider of mobile electric power solutions.
- Represented a growth equity fund in leading a $12 million round of Series B funding for a professional services firm.
- Represented a NASDAQ listed company in a series of PIPE and at-the-market offerings aggregating in excess of $15 million.
- Represented a NASDAQ listed company in the filing of an omnibus shelf registration statement on Form S-3 for up to $200 million of securities and an omnibus acquisition shelf registration statement on Form S-4 for up to $200 million of securities.
- Represented a closely held corporation in terminating a coal mining lease, which, along with obtaining a cash payment, will allow the corporation to sell approximately 20 million tons of minable coal reserve at market royalty rates.
- Represented a French CAC 40 company in connection with the sale of its wind-to-energy subsidiary for $81 million.
- Represented a NYSE listed company in connection with its $138 million initial public offering.
- Counsel to a closely held corporation in a 1031 exchange consisting of a sale of four net lease properties located in various states for $14 million, and a subsequent purchase of four replacement properties in California for $15 million.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with the sale of a human resources outsourcing firm to a NYSE listed company.
- Represented a French CAC 40 company as lender and guarantor in connection with a $230 million project syndicated loan to a wind energy project.
- Represented an IT staffing and consulting company in connection with a two-step transaction involving a corporate restructuring in which the company contributed substantial amounts of its assets and liabilities to a Delaware limited liability company, which simultaneously sold its preferred units to a third party investor for $20 million.
- Represented a governmental entity in its privatization. Transaction involved the transfer of all of the assets and liabilities of the entity to a nonprofit entity while maintaining the government entity's mission.
- Represented multiple pro bono clients with incorporating and obtaining IRS tax exempt status.
- District of Columbia
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Emory Law Advisory Board
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.Acc., 1998
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., 1997
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2015-present
- Associate, 2008-2015
- Muldoon Murphy & Aguggia LLP
- Associate, 2007-2008
- Washington Gas Light Company
- Attorney, 2005-2007
- Marc Jacobs LLC
- Senior Accountant, 2002
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Senior Associate, 1998-2001
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Certified Public Accountant
- Contributor, Duane Morris Capital Markets Blog
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rules on Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Program," Duane Morris Alert, June 8, 2011; republished in the Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 12 No. 3, 2011
- Co-author, "U.S. Financial Reform: The Regulation of Derivatives and Swap-Trading Provisions," Duane Morris Alert, August 24, 2010
- "Private Placement Finders: Choice of Registering Is Difficult Following Recent Decisions," Duane Morris Alert, June 11, 2008