Joel M. Walker practices in the areas of creditors' rights (including corporate bankruptcies and workouts) and business law in Duane Morris' Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. offices.
Mr. Walker's national bankruptcy and workout practice encompasses a wide range of issues. He has represented debtors, creditors (both secured and unsecured, including banks, committees, indenture trustees and bondholders), purchasers, and lessors in matters related to plans of reorganization, asset purchases, prosecution of claims and avoidance actions. These matters often include complex litigation and commercial disputes. Listed in Best Lawyers in America and as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, Mr. Walker frequently lectures on these matters.
Mr. Walker has had significant roles in bankruptcy cases throughout the United States, including those of the Pittsburgh Penguins; LTV Steel; Taylor, Bean, Whitaker; Pen Holdings; Heartland Steel; Antaeus Technical; TVI Corporation; and Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel. Additionally, he has represented foreign entities with regard to insolvency issues.
Mr. Walker also serves as a mediator in disputes throughout the United States. He has participated in many mediations involving commercial disputes, both in bankruptcy cases and otherwise as both a mediator and counsel for interested parties. Mr. Walker has completed extensive mediation training, including the ABI/St. John's University Hugh L. Carey Dispute Resolution Center's inaugural program.
In his representation of various businesses, Mr. Walker provides both legal advice and business counseling. He works with clients in mergers, acquisitions, and strategic alliances throughout the United States. Mr. Walker has significant experience in related areas including raising capital, corporate governance, and general business advice.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Walker was a principal in a business involved in international trade. That company represented or partnered with various businesses with regard to trade issues, particularly in South America and Japan.
Mr. Walker is a 1977 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and a 1974 graduate of Miami University.
Areas of Practice
- Creditors' Rights
- Corporate Bankruptcy and Workouts
- Business Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Not admitted in D.C. Practice in D.C. limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1977
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2003-present
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Named Best Lawyers' Lawyer of the Year for Business Reorganization
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2017
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005-2006, 2008-2014 and 2016
- Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Elder, Southminster Presbyterian Church
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Faculty Member and Speaker, American Bankruptcy Institute's Complex Financial Restructuring Program 2009, 2010-2012