Julie S. Greenberg
- Duane Morris LLP
600 Grant Street, Suite 5010
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-2802
Phone: +1 412 497 1004
Fax: +1 412 202 3330
Julie S. Greenberg practices in the area of commercial litigation, representing corporate and individual clients in trial and appellate matters before state and federal courts. She has extensive litigation experience with emphasis on toxic tort and products liability, environmental, banking and financial services matters. She has represented domestic and multinational corporations in the manufacturing, energy and medical sectors as well as venture capital firms in a wide variety of toxic tort, environmental and general commercial matters, including welding rod manufacturers, specialty metal mills, power plants aircraft engine manufacturers, aluminum manufacturing, mining, automobile parts, thermal coatings and energy trading firms. She has also represented banks, lenders and loan servicers in bankruptcy and lender litigation and liability actions, predatory lending claims, banking law and federal consumer actions, including actions under the Fair Debt Collection Law, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Pennsylvania Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law and the Fair Credit Extension Uniformity Act.
Ms. Greenberg is a 1996 cum laude graduate of Cornell Law School, where she was editor of Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy, and a magna cum laude graduate of Allegheny College.
Areas of Practice
- Banking and FInancial Services Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Toxic Tort
- Products Liability
- Banking and FInancial Services Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Steel Mill: Represented major domestic steel manufacturer in one of the only Clean Water Act cases to be tried to a jury in the last decade. Representation involved defending the manufacturer against thousands of alleged NPDES violations associated with lab error claims, interference/pass through claims from the local publicly-owned treatment works, and other direct discharge claims.
- Coke Manufacturer/Screener: Represented a coke manufacturer and affiliated screening operation in trial before the West Virginia Air Quality Board on alleged air emissions violations. Representation included permit appeal, trial and negotiation of Title V permits.
- Titanium Manufacturer: Represented steel company in NPDES discharge permit negotiations associated with addition of titanium production line. Representation included permit appeal and negotiations with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
- Iron Oxide/HCl Manufacturer: Represented manufacturer of iron oxide and hydrochloric acid appeal of RCRA variance. Representation included trial before Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board challenging necessity of variance and waste classification of material recycled from steel industry as commercial substitute for feedstock ingredient.
- Steel Mill: Represented domestic steel manufacturer in Clean Air Act litigation and permit negotiations.
- Welding Rod Manufacturer: Representing manufacturer of welding consumables in toxic tort suits arising from alleged asbestos and manganese exposure from welding fume in state and multi-district litigation.
- HVAC Equipment Manufacturer: Represented major manufacturer of HVAC equipment in defending against asbestos product and premises claims.
- Thermal Coating Applicator Company: Represented manufacturer of thermal spray applicators in toxic tort and product liability matters arising from alleged chromium fume exposures. Representation included mediation and tri-partite arbitration of claims with liability insurer to resolve product defect and failure to warn claims.
- Aircraft Engine Manufacturer: Represented manufacturer of jet and rocket engines in insurance coverage suit seeking coverage for environmental remediation and monitoring costs incurred at their facility in Florida. Representation included preparation of expert witnesses addressing hydrogeology, property valuation, remediation cost analysis and insurance policy analysis.
- Aluminum Manufacturer: Represented major manufacturer of aluminum in insurance coverage suit seeking coverage for environmental remediation and NRD costs incurred at multiple facilities across the country. Representation included trial and expert witness preparations and providing support to local counsel and consultants with NRD negotiations with federal and local environmental agencies.
- Mid-West Energy Trading: Represented energy trading firm in insurance coverage negotiations for Directors & Officers insurance coverage for alleged securities and trading violations. Representation included analysis of D&O policy terms and scope of coverage in order to successfully negotiate coverage settlements for claims and the company and its directors and officers.
- Auto Parts Manufacturer: Represented major auto parts manufacturer in insurance coverage suit seeking coverage for environmental remediation at facilities located in the mid-west. Representation included preparation of expert witnesses addressing hydrogeology and remediation cost analysis in order to successfully negotiate coverage settlements with multiple insurers.
- Obtained on behalf of Keppel Shipyard Limited a dismissal based on lack of personal jurisdiction in an adversary proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas where the Trustee of the MPF Litigation Trust sought to obtain a judgment of more than $4.5 million.
Toxic Tort/Product Liability
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1996
- Allegheny College, B.S., magna cum laude, 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2007-present
- Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis LLP
- Associate, 1998-2007
- Reed Smith LLP
- Associate, 1996-1998
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- McCandless Athletic Association
Civic and Charitable Activities
- MCAA Summertime Blue T-Ball League
- General Manager
- Point Park Children's School Parents' Advisory Board
- Every Child, Inc.
- Community Volunteer
- Co-author, "Products Liability Defendants Must Plead Highly Reckless Conduct as an Affirmative Defense," Duane Morris Alert, December 5, 2012
- Co-author, "Pa. Courts to Consider All Potential Uses of Product in Design-Defect Cases," Duane Morris Alert, May 31, 2012; republished in Law360, June 21, 2012