Lisa K. Widdecke practices in the areas of business and employment litigation and advises clients in all areas of operation. Ms. Widdecke's practice includes the following subject matters: class actions, contracts, trade secret, trademark, copyright infringement, unfair competition, products liability and education. She also handles a wide range of employment matters involving harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation and business related torts. Ms. Widdecke has been involved in numerous trials in state and federal courts in front of both juries and judges. She regularly appears before state and federal regulatory agencies. She prides herself on her strategic decision-making for litigation, and her clients routinely compliment her for her sensitive and detailed handling and resolution of matters.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Widdecke served as law clerk to the Honorable Anthony J. Battaglia and the Honorable Leo S. Papas of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Ms. Widdecke is a 2000 graduate of California Western School of Law and a graduate of the University of New Hampshire. At the University of New Hampshire, Ms. Widdecke played Division One women's ice hockey and was a co-captain of the 1996 women's ice hockey national title championship team. The title was won in the longest recorded game in collegiate hockey history.
- Represented veneer manufacturer as the plaintiff in competitor dispute involving trade secrets, trademark, copyright infringement, unfair competition and interference claims. A three-week federal jury trial resulted in a verdict on all counts, awarding more than $23 million in damages plus injunctive relief, costs and fees. Ranked 92 of top 100 verdicts in U.S. for 2007.
- Defended courier company against class-action claims of misclassification, unfair competition, wrongful termination, unpaid overtime, meal and rest periods, and unfair competition. Second-chaired a three-week state jury trial that resulted in a defense verdict. Awarded "Top 10 Defense Verdicts, 2007" by Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Defended international pharmaceutical companies in product liability, warranty and unfair-business-practice cases. Achieved summary judgment in product liability case.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in medical device product liability and breach of contract case that resulted in a multimillion-dollar settlement in favor of our client.
- Represented owner and operator of skilled-nursing facilities against claims of fraud, breach of contract, retaliation and discrimination. Second-chaired one-week arbitration that resulted in partial defense verdict.
- Represented local pharmacy benefit management company with matter involving theft of trade secrets and unfair competition. Negotiated return of all trade secrets and stipulated restraining order against former employee working for competitor. In another breach of contract matter for same company, negotiated a walk-away settlement after taking the plaintiff’s deposition.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of New Hampshire, B.A., 1996
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2010-present
- Associate, 2008-2010
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP
- Associate, 2004-2008
- Littler Mendelson, PC
- Associate, 2002-2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony J. Battaglia, 2001-2002
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Leo S. Papas, 2000-2001
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- California Women Lawyers, Board of Governors
- District 9 Governor, 2005-present
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
Honors / Awards
- 2007 "Top Defense Verdicts," Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Mission Valley YMCA, Board of Management
- Board Member, 2007-2010
- California Women Lawyers, Board of Governors
- District 9 Board Governor, 2005-2010
- Co-Author, "Employment Law Compliance Issues for the New Year," E-Update, Luce Forward, December 2007
- Co-Author, "Recent Developments in California and Federal Employment Law," Luce Forward, November 2007
- "New Penalties for Independent Contractor Misclassification?" E-Update, Luce Forward, August 2006
- "California Supreme Court Holds Employee Can Bring Retaliation Claim Without Making Express Complaint to Employer," E-Update, Luce Forward, September 2005
- Contributing Author, "Torts: High Risk Components of Wrongful Discharge," The National Employer, Littler Mendelson, Vol. 1 2003-2004 Ed.
- Contributing Author, "Employment Law Update," The National Employer, Littler Mendelson, Vol. I, 2002-2003 Ed.
- "California's Tidal Wave of Wage-and-Hour and Civil Rights Class Actions," Duane Morris Seminar, San Diego, July 8, 2010; Los Angeles, July 15, 2010; and San Francisco, July 22, 2010
- Speaker, "Laying the Foundation: Hiring and Related Practices," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice, San Diego, May 20, 2010
- "Conducting Internal Investigations: Is Your Organization Prepared?" Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, September 24, 2009
- "Workplace Law and Practice 2009," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, May 20, 2009
- "Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Issues," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, April 17, 2009
- "The Employee Free Choice Act: Is Your Organization Prepared?" Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, March 17, 2009
- "Implementing the New FMLA Regulations in California," Duane Morris Workshop, San Diego, February 12, 2009
- "Top 10 Mistakes Employers Make During a Recession," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, January 16, 2009