Lisa K. Widdecke practices in the areas of employment and business litigation and advises clients in all areas of the employment relationship and operations. Ms. Widdecke's practice includes the following subject matters: employment, class actions, contracts, trade secrets, unfair competition and education. She regularly handles a wide range of employment matters involving harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation and business related torts. Ms. Widdecke has been involved in numerous trials in state and federal courts in front of both juries and judges. She regularly appears before state and federal regulatory agencies. She prides herself on her strategic decision-making for litigation, and her clients routinely compliment her for her sensitive and detailed handling and resolution of matters.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Widdecke served as law clerk to the Honorable Anthony J. Battaglia and the Honorable Leo S. Papas of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Ms. Widdecke is a 2000 graduate of California Western School of Law and a graduate of the University of New Hampshire. At the University of New Hampshire, Ms. Widdecke played Division One women's ice hockey and was a co-captain of the 1996 women's ice hockey national title championship team. The title was won in the longest recorded game in collegiate hockey history.
- Defended courier company against class-action claims of misclassification, unfair competition, wrongful termination, unpaid overtime, meal and rest periods, and unfair competition. Second-chaired a three-week state jury trial that resulted in a defense verdict. Awarded "Top 10 Defense Verdicts, 2007" by Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Represented veneer manufacturer as the plaintiff in competitor dispute involving trade secrets, trademark, copyright infringement, unfair competition and interference claims. A three-week federal jury trial resulted in a verdict on all counts, awarding more than $23 million in damages plus injunctive relief, costs and fees. Ranked 92 of top 100 verdicts in U.S. for 2007.
- Defended television station against claims of disability discrimination and breach of contract. Second chaired two week federal court bench trial that resulted in a defense verdict.
- Defended insurance company against claims of fraud and breach of employment contract. Second chaired a one week arbitration that resulted in a defense verdict.
- Represented private post-secondary school with regard to pregnancy discrimination and wrongful termination claims. Drafted and filed a summary judgment motion that resulted in a walk-away settlement before opposition to summary judgment was filed.
- Represented local healthcare company with matter involving theft of trade secrets and unfair competition. Negotiated return of all trade secrets and stipulated restraining order against former employee working for competitor. In another wage-and-hour and harassment matter for same company, negotiated a walk away settlement after taking the plaintiff’s deposition.
- Represented owner and operator of skilled-nursing facilities against claims of fraud, breach of contract, retaliation and discrimination. Second-chaired one-week arbitration that resulted in partial defense verdict.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Business Litigation
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of New Hampshire, B.A., 1996
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2010-present
- Senior Associate, 2008-2010
- Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps LLP
- Associate, 2004-2008
- Littler Mendelson, PC
- Associate, 2002-2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Anthony J. Battaglia, 2001-2002
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Leo S. Papas, 2000-2001
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- California Women Lawyers, Board of Governors
- District 9 Governor, 2005-present
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
Honors and Awards
- 2007 "Top Defense Verdicts," Los Angeles Daily Journal
- Mission Valley YMCA, Board of Management
- Board Member, 2007-2010
- California Women Lawyers, Board of Governors
- District 9 Board Governor, 2005-2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "Wage and Hour Updates with Real-Life Cases," Duane Morris' Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, March 20, 2014
- "Client-Centered Counseling – A Deliberate Approach to Meaningful and Successful Representation," ABA CLE Webinar Presentation, February 28, 2014
- "Conducting Lawful and Effective Workplace Investigations," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice Annual Seminar, San Diego, May 15, 2013
- "Wage and Hour Law: Updates and Trends," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice Annual Seminar, San Diego, May 10, 2012
- "State-of-the-Art Employee Handbooks and Integrating Legal Updates," Duane Morris' Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, February 16, 2012
- "California's Tidal Wave of Wage-and-Hour and Civil Rights Class Actions," Duane Morris Seminar, San Diego, July 8, 2010; Los Angeles, July 15, 2010; and San Francisco, July 22, 2010
- Speaker, "Laying the Foundation: Hiring and Related Practices," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law & Practice, San Diego, May 20, 2010
- "Conducting Internal Investigations: Is Your Organization Prepared?" Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, September 24, 2009
- "Workplace Law and Practice 2009," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Seminar, San Diego, May 20, 2009
- "Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Issues," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, April 17, 2009
- "Top 10 Mistakes Employers Make During a Recession," Duane Morris Employment & Immigration Breakfast Briefing, San Diego, January 16, 2009