L. Norwood "Woody" Jameson
- Duane Morris LLP
1075 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 2000
Atlanta, GA 30309-3929
Phone: +1 404 253 6915
Fax: +1 404 420 2623
Louis Norwood ("Woody") Jameson is chair of Duane Morris' Intellectual Property Practice Group. Mr. Jameson practices in the area of intellectual property law and litigation with particular emphasis on patent litigation. Mr. Jameson also litigates a broad range of intellectual property disputes, including trademark and trade dress litigation, copyright litigation and false advertising disputes. In 2014, Mr. Jameson was named Outstanding IP Litigator for Georgia, by Managing Intellectual Property. The team he leads also received the Managing Intellectual Property Award for the top patent litigation practice in the southern United States. Mr. Jameson has been named on multiple occasions a Georgia Super Lawyer in the field of IP litigation by Atlanta Magazine and Georgia Super Lawyers Magazine, and, in 2009 through 2015, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business included Mr. Jameson in its listing of leading IP lawyers in Georgia.
Mr. Jameson has represented several well-known companies in complex patent litigation involving such technologies as cable television technology, Internet technology, on line banking transactions, MPEG decoding technology, telecommunications and computer hardware and software applications. He likewise has had lead responsibility for trademark and false advertising litigation for Fortune 500 companies, and anti-counterfeiting activities surrounding the 1996 Summer Olympic Games. He is a member of the Litigation and Patent, Copyright and Trademark Law sections of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia and the Atlanta Bar Association. He has served on the Federal Trial Practice and Procedure Committee of the American Bar Association, has served on numerous committees of the International Trademark Association, and has been a speaker at seminars on a multitude of patent and trademark topics.
Mr. Jameson is a 1988 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Georgia School of Law and a 1984 graduate of the University of North Carolina.
- Obtained on behalf of Cisco Systems, Inc., in a case brought by Eon Corp. IP Holdings concerning alleged patent infringement of wireless modem technology, an order granting summary judgment of non-infringement due to clear differences between the patent and the design of the accused technologies.
- Represented Cisco IronPort Systems, LLC, a company owned by Cisco Systems, Inc., in a patent infringement lawsuit filed by CBT Flint Partners, LLC regarding software that filters spam e-mail. Obtained a summary judgment of patent invalidity on one of the asserted patents and a stipulation of non-infringement of the asserted patent following a favorable claim construction ruling. As part of the case, CBT requested a large amount of computer data from Cisco IronPort, including the source code for the software at the heart of the infringement claim, requiring Cisco to hire a vendor to provide the requested data. In a Dec. 30, 2009, order, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia awarded Cisco IronPort $286,000 in e-discovery vendor fees as part of taxable costs to the prevailing party.
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc. in the defense of a number of patent cases currently pending in E.D. Texas, District of Delaware, and Northern District of Georgia.
- Representing Broadcom Inc. in the defense of a case pending in the Northern District of Georgia involving chip level architecture and operation within computers.
- Represented Branch Banking & Trust in successful resolution of a patent case brought in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representing Ciena Corp. in a patent case pending in the Northern District of Georgia.
- Represented NuVox Inc. in the successful resolution of a patent case in Federal Court in Kansas involving telecommunications routing and switching technology.
- Representing Wright Medical Technology in a patent case in District of New Jersey involving medical implants relating to prosthetic knees.
- Represented EarthLink, Inc. in successfully obtaining a summary judgment of non-infringement in a patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Texas involving an alleged invention relating to dial-up Internet service; decision was affirmed by the Federal Circuit (MyMail, Ltd. v. Am. Online, Inc., 476 F.3d 1372 (Fed. Cir. 2007).
- Represented Scientific Atlanta, Inc. in the defense and successful resolution of a patent infringement action involving DVR technology in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representing BellSouth Corporation in the defense of a patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Texas involving the use of Internet Protocols for long distance transmissions.
- Represented EarthLink, Inc. in obtaining a complete jury verdict of non-infringement and patent invalidity in the defense of a complex, multi-party patent litigation involving ADSL technology in the District of Delaware.
- Represented Cisco Systems, Inc. in the successful defense of a patent infringement matter involving Voice over Internet Protocol telephony.
- Represented Vonage Inc. in defense of a patent case in a jury trial in federal court in Kansas.
- Represented Time Warner Cable, Inc. in the successful defense of a patent infringement matter involving cable set-top boxes.
- Represented Scientific Atlanta, Inc., a major manufacturer of cable set-top boxes, in one of the largest Section 337 proceedings ever tried before the International Trade Commission in an investigation alleging infringement of four patents, and successfully obtained a complete defense verdict on all patents.
- Represented St. Bernard Software, Inc. in the successful resolution of patent infringement matter in the District of Colorado involving methods for downloading multiple software applications from a single server.
- Represented the Complainant in a Section 337 patent proceeding before the International Trade Commission in which Complainant sought and obtained a limited exclusion order based on successful trial of patent infringement claims.
- Represented a foreign company in the pursuit of a patent infringement matter involving the encoding and decoding of data packets in MPEG technology.
- Represented a major manufacturer of cable set-top boxes in complex, multi-district patent and antitrust litigation pending in federal court relating to interactive program guides, and prior to settlement, successfully obtained summary judgment of non-infringement of six of the eight patents-at-issue.
- Represented Verance Corporation in the defense of a patent infringement matter involving digital watermarking technology.
- Represented EarthLink, Inc. in complex, multi-district patent litigation relating to spam blocking technology.
- Represented a manufacturer of cable set-top boxes in the pursuit of patent infringement claims on three different patents relating to Interactive Program Guide technology.
- Represented Capitol City Bank & Trust Co. against a claim of trademark infringement brought by plaintiff Capital City Bank Group, Inc, including defeating plaintiff's preliminary injunction motion on all four factors (including persuading district court that there was no likelihood of confusion) and concluding case with payment by plaintiff to our client.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in the successful defense of $200 million misappropriation of idea claim.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in a number of trademark matters, including trademark infringement and anti-counterfeiting.
- Represented the Jamaican Coffee Industry Board in variety of intellectual property matters, including the successful pursuit of Lanham Act false advertising claim.
- Represented a major dental implants manufacturer in the successful pursuit of multiple false advertising and trademark litigations.
- Represented several major carpet manufacturers in the prosecution of numerous lawsuits for claims of copyright infringement.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in connection with various intellectual property issues, including false advertising and Lanham Act issues.
- Represented the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games in connection with trademark protection, anti-counterfeiting programs and ambush marketing issues.
- Represented porcelain doll manufacturer in successful defense of trademark infringement claim.
- Represented regional bank in successfully defeating a motion for preliminary injunction in which plaintiff alleged trademark infringement and related common law causes of action.
- Represented merchandise manufacturers such as Rolex and Nike in connection with trademark anti-counterfeiting matters (including ex parte seizures).
- Represented Allied Signal in connection with Lanham Act ex parte seizure of counterfeit containers containing Freon gas.
- Represented Reed Elsevier in connection with ex parte seizure of counterfeit CD-ROMs.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- False Advertising
- Unfair Competition
- Intellectual Property Licensing
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1988
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., Economics, 1984
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2002-present
- King & Spalding, Atlanta, Georgia
- Partner, 1996-2002
- Associate, 1988-1995
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section
- Member, Federal Trial Practice and Procedure Committee
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Past Member, Meetings Committee
- Past Member, Anti-Counterfeiting Committee
- Past Member, Publications Committee
- Past Member, Editorial Board, Trademark Reporter
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009-2015
- Member, 2014 Managing Intellectual Property North America Awards: Top Patent Litigation Practice in the Southern United States
- Outstanding Georgia IP Litigator Award, Managing Intellectual Property, 2014
- Georgia Super Lawyers 2005-2016
- Listed as an "IP Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2013 and 2015
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2016
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Co-author, "Can Anti-Counterfeiting Be Cost-Effective?" The National Law Journal, May 12, 1997.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Counsel 2 Counsel, Atlanta, Georgia, March 9, 2010
- Participant in mock Federal Circuit oral argument in front of three Judge Panel at the 15th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Dominican Republic, November 11-15 2009
- Participant in mock Markman hearing, Law Seminars International Patent Claim Construction Seminar, Atlanta, April 25, 2008
- Speaker, 13th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 7-11, 2007
- Speaker, Practising Law Institute's Patent Litigation 2007, Atlanta, Georgia, November 5-6, 2007
- Speaker, The Corporate IP Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, October 23-24, 2007
- Panelist: "IP Litigation: A View From the Bench," 12th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Cancun, Mexico, November 2-6, 2006
- Speaker, "How Phillips Changes Patent Practice," 11th Annual Intellectual Property Institute, San Juan, Puerto Rico, November 11-13, 2005
- Speaker, "Advanced IP Litigation -- Impact of Knorr-Bremse on Need for and Reliance on Opinions of Counsel in Patent Litigation," 10th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, November 12-16, 2004
- Speaker, "Trademark Practice: Current Developments in Domestic and International Practice," 18th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, Washington, D.C., April 3-4, 2003
- Speaker, "Strategic Patent Litigation Issues," 8th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, November 16, 2002
- Speaker, "Trademarks 101: Fundamentals," International Trademark Association Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia, October 23, 2002
- Speaker, "Mock Patent Trial," American Bar Association's Intellectual Property Litigation Meetings, Seattle, Washington, June 2001