Duane Morris LLP
New York, NY 10036-4086
Phone: +1 212 471 4725
Fax: +1 212 253 4037
Lucericia Messiah practices in the areas of compensation, employee benefits, healthcare and employment law. Ms. Messiah's practice includes work with both public and private companies in a wide range of industries, including the following: banking, insurance, energy, manufacturing, biotechnology and technology, telecommunications, real estate and private equity. She has broad transactional experience advising clients in connection with domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, lending transactions, bankruptcy and securities offerings. She also regularly assists clients with regard to day-to-day compliance and design matters involving the full range of executive compensation and benefits matters, including employment agreements, change in control agreements, deferred compensation, equity-based compensation, welfare plans and IRC Section 409A. Ms. Messiah has also represented both investment fund sponsors and tax-qualified pension funds in connection with ERISA Title I matters involving pension plan investments in alternative investment vehicles. She focuses her pro bono work in the field of immigration and also in advising nonprofits.
Ms. Messiah is a 2004 magna cum laude graduate of Howard University School of Law and a cum laude graduate of Pace University.
Areas of Practice
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Compliance
- Advised Synopsys, Inc., a world leader in electronic design automation, in its acquisition of Magma Design Automation Inc., a publicly traded provider of chip design software, for more than $500 million.
- Advised Datalogic S.p.A., a leading international producer of bar code readers and other data collection technologies headquartered in Bologna, Italy, in connection with its acquisition of Accu-Sort systems, Inc. from affiliates of Danaher Corporation.
- Advised Dell, Inc. in its acquisition of Compellent Technologies, Inc., a leading storage provider.
- Advised Synopsys, Inc. in connection with a complex acquisition of Optical Research Associates, which was wholly-owned by a United States tax-qualified employee stock ownership plan (ESOP).
- Advised JP Morgan and Anchorage Advisors in connection with their acquisition of a majority interest in Bally Total Fitness and the implementation of executive compensation arrangements as part of Bally’s emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- American Bar Association
- The Bar of the City of New York
- Member, Employee Benefits Committee
- Secretary, Young Lawyers Committee (2010-2011)
- New York
- Howard University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2004
- Pace University, B.A., cum laude, 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2012-present
- Dewey & LeBoeuf
- Associate, 2007-2012
- Sullivan & Cromwell
- Associate, 2004-2007
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New York Rising Stars - Metro Edition, 2011 and 2012
- Lisa Beth Deutsch Pro Bono Award (outstanding achievement relating to pro bono clients)
- Co-author, "What Are the Implications for Employers of the Supreme Court Decision Upholding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act?" Duane Morris Alert, June 28, 2012
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Independent Contractors vs. Employees," Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project, 2013