Piero Carbone focuses his practice on fund formation and cross-border corporate transactions, particularly in the area of private equity. He advises private equity firms on a variety of transactions, including venture investments; buy-and-build transactions; mid-market and large leveraged buyouts; and public-to-privates. He also advises fund managers on multi-jurisdictional fund raisings. His clients include U.S. and European private equity firms and fund managers. He also helps clients with both private and public M&A work, corporate reorganizations, joint ventures and issues of stocks and shares. Mr. Carbone serves clients working in myriad industries, including financial services; real estate; technology; hospitality; and fashion. In particular, Mr. Carbone has developed significant experience in the financial services industry across Europe, including the banking and insurance sectors.
Mr. Carbone speaks and writes about private equity and corporate law around the world. He currently lectures at the International University of Monaco and the School of Management at the Politecnico di Milano. He has also taught comparative law at the University of Naples "Federico II." Mr. Carbone co-authored a section of an Italian book called "Introduction to the Study of English Law" and is at work on a new book, "Introduction to the Main Aspects of Private Equity Transactions."
Mr. Carbone graduated from the College of Law, London, with a postgraduate diploma in English Law in 1999 and completed the Legal Practice Course in 2000, with commendation. He earned a degree in Law from the University of Naples and the London School of Economics and Political Sciences, cum laude, in 1997. Mr. Carbone speaks Italian, English, French, Spanish and Swedish. He is a qualified solicitor of England and Wales and a qualified Italian lawyer "Avvocato."
- Represented Pricoa Capital Group in connection with their provision of acquisition financing to ArcaTech Systems, LLC and its group, a global leader in cash automation devices.
- Represented Pricoa Capital Group in connection with their debt and equity investment in AMA SpA, which engineers, manufactures and distributes components and accessories primarily for agricultural machinery and off-highway vehicles as well as for gardening equipment.
- Represented NYX Gaming Group in its acquisition of an Italian gaming company.
- Represented the Seves group, a portfolio company of Triton Partners in a number of transactions in connection with and following its equity and debt restructuring.
- Represented Metric Capital Partners in connection with its debt investment in Genebre Group S.L, one of the leading global players in the fluid controls industry.
- Advised Metric Capital Partners in completing its fundraising for its second pan-European special situation fund in the amount of €465 million.
- Represented Metric Capital Partners in completing its fundraising for its second pan-European special situation fund in the amount of €465 million.
- Represented Est4te Four in completing its fund raising for its global real estate fund.
- Represented a German portfolio company of JZ International in its expansion in the US and UK.
- Represented a number of funds, including BlueGem Capital Partners, Searchlight, Change Capital Partners, Intermediate Capital Group in a number of potential transactions.
- Represented Metric Capital Partners in connection with their debt and equity investment in Augusta Securities Limited.
- Represented the Unity Mine Group, an independent producer of high grade coking coal in South Wales, in a debt and equity restructuring.
- Represented Bain Capital in the sale of software Teamsystem SpA to HG Capital for about €575 million.
- Represented Bain Capital in the acquisition of the Styron Division of the Dow Chemical Corporation for US$1.6 billion.
- Represented Institutional Financial Markets Inc. in a sale of €75 million of subordinated securities to a US bank.
- Represented Alitalia in a sale to Travers Smith, a UK private-equity fund, of its ground handling business in a transaction worth approximately £20 million.
- Represented UK hedge fund Astrocyte in its joint venture with Ava FX, an Israeli provider of forex trading platforms, worth approximately €50 million.
Areas of Practice
- Private Equity
- Cross-border Corporate Transactions
- Financial Services
- England and Wales
- Milan, Italy
- College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course, with commendation, 2000
- College of Law, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Law, with commendation, 1999
- University of Naples, Degree in Law, cum laude, 1997
- Duane Morris
- Partner, 2012-present
- Kirkland & Ellis
- Partner, 2007-2012
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Associate, 2000-2006
- McCracken Solicitors
- Civil and Litigation Work, 1998-2000
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Researcher, 1997-1998
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, 2015 Meritorious Service Award, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Ordine degli avvocati di Milano
- Co-Author, "UK Finance Act 2015 -- Royal Assent Received," Duane Morris Alert, March 30, 2015
- Co-Author, "UK Finance Bill - Key Points," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2013
- Quoted in "Rising Tide of Liquidity Lifting All Boats... As the Regulatory Environment Evolves ABL Growth in Europe Will Accelerate," ABF Journal, Nov/Dec Issue, Vol. 11, No. 8, November 2013
- Co-author, "LPs Look to the Middle Market for ALPHA," Middle Market Growth, May 2013
- Author, Introduction to Private Equity Transactions
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Chairman, ACG's Eurogrowth 2014, London, October 15-16, 2014
- Moderator, "Cross-Border Dealmaking—Follow the Money," ACG InterGrowth 2014, Las Vegas, NV, April 30, 2014
- Co-host, "Developments in Investment Funds - Looking Into 2014 - Part One," CPDCast, February 2014