Piero Carbone focuses his practice on fund formation and cross-border corporate transactions, particularly in the area of private equity. He advises private equity firms on a variety of transactions, including venture investments; buy-and-build transactions; mid-market and large leveraged buyouts; and public-to-privates. He also advises fund managers on multi-jurisdictional fund raisings. His clients include U.S. and European private equity firms and fund managers. He also helps clients with both private and public M&A work, corporate reorganizations, joint ventures and issues of stocks and shares. Mr. Carbone serves clients working in myriad industries, including financial services; real estate; technology; hospitality; and fashion. In particular, Mr. Carbone has developed significant experience in the financial services industry across Europe, including the banking and insurance sectors.
Mr. Carbone speaks and writes about private equity and corporate law around the world. He currently lectures at the International University of Monaco and the School of Management at the Politecnico di Milano. He has also taught comparative law at the University of Naples "Federico II." Mr. Carbone co-authored a section of an Italian book called "Introduction to the Study of English Law" and is at work on a new book, "Introduction to the Main Aspects of Private Equity Transactions."
Mr. Carbone graduated from the College of Law, London, with a postgraduate diploma in English Law in 1999 and completed the Legal Practice Course in 2000, with commendation. He earned a degree in Law from the University of Naples and the London School of Economics and Political Sciences, cum laude, in 1997. Mr. Carbone speaks Italian, English, French, Spanish and Swedish. He is a qualified solicitor of England and Wales and a qualified Italian lawyer "Avvocato."
- Represented Metric Capital Partners in connection with their debt and equity investment in Augusta Securities Limited.
- Represented the Unity Mine Group, an independent producer of high grade coking coal in South Wales, in a debt and equity restructuring.
- Represented Bain Capital in the sale of software Teamsystem SpA to HG Capital for about €575 million.
- Represented Bain Capital in the acquisition of the Styron Division of the Dow Chemical Corporation for US$1.6 billion.
- Represented a UK asset manager in a sale of €75 million of subordinated securities to a US bank.
- Represented Alitalia in a sale to Travers Smith, a UK private-equity fund, of its ground handling business in a transaction worth approximately £20 million.
- Represented UK hedge fund Astrocyte in its joint venture with Ava FX, an Israeli provider of forex trading platforms, worth approximately €50 million.
Areas of Practice
- Private Equity
- Cross-border Corporate Transactions
- Financial Services
- England and Wales
- Milan, Italy
- College of Law, London, Legal Practice Course, with commendation, 2000
- College of Law, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Law, with commendation, 1999
- University of Naples, Degree in Law, cum laude, 1997
- Duane Morris
- Partner, 2012-present
- Kirkland & Ellis
- Partner, 2007-2012
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Associate, 2000-2006
- McCracken Solicitors
- Civil and Litigation Work, 1998-2000
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Researcher, 1997-1998
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Ordine degli avvocati di Milano
- Author, "UK Finance Bill - Key Points," Duane Morris Alert, December 11, 2013
- Quoted in "Rising Tide of Liquidity Lifting All Boats... As the Regulatory Environment Evolves ABL Growth in Europe Will Accelerate," ABF Journal, Nov/Dec Issue, Vol. 11, No. 8, November 2013
- Co-author, "LPs Look to the Middle Market for ALPHA," Middle Market Growth, May 2013
- Author, Introduction to Private Equity Transactions
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-host, "Developments in Investment Funds - Looking Into 2014 - Part One," CPDCast, February 2014