Richard P. Jaffe is co-head of the firm's Private Equity practice group with a focus in the areas of private equity, including fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, corporate finance and venture capital financing, particularly in the alternative energy, technology, retail and manufacturing industries. He represents private equity funds and other investors and companies in transactions and advises entrepreneurs on raising and investing capital as well as structuring public and private securities offerings, mergers, acquisitions and sales. In addition, Mr. Jaffe counsels boards and committees of boards on corporate governance issues, and is a frequent lecturer on these issues.
Areas of Practice
- Private Equity/Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Venture Capital
- Advised sponsor on formation of a $150 million real estate fund to invest in university student housing projects.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a $250 million real estate fund as a subsidiary of a public REIT.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a fund of funds.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of a portfolio company to strategic for $140 million.
- Represented a privately held healthcare IT software company in negotiation for sale to large strategic.
- Represented a growth capital fund in an investment in a bridge-note offering by a provider of an integrated suite of content management, collaboration, portal and business-intelligence software solutions.
- Represented a leading global investor in renewable-energy and energy-efficient industries in a bridge-note financing of a provider of residential energy-management systems for the utilities industry and its consumers.
- Represented a private equity firm as lead investor in a follow-on offering by a provider of high-performance, unified information-security systems.
- New York
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, A.B.
- Duane Morris LLP - Partner, 2010-present
- Ballard Spahr LLP - Partner, 2002-2010
- Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP - Partner, 2000-2002
- Mesirov Gelman Jaffe Cramer & Jamieson LLP - Chairman, 1968-2000
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Global Board of Directors, 2010-present
- Philadelphia Chapter, Past President, 2008 and 2009
- Chair, Advisory Board, Corporate Governance Center, Drexel University LeBow School of Business
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association - Business Law Section, Past Chair
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007-2013
- Listed in Smart CEO's Leading Lawyers, 2011
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2014
- Association for Corporate Growth - Global Board of Directors
- University City Science Center - Past Chairman
- University of the Arts - Trustee
- Co-author, "SEC Enforcement Actions Against Private Equity: Get Ready for More," Duane Morris Alert, February 6, 2013
- Co-author, "How to Protect a Company's Most Valuable Asset: A Brand's Worth," Philadelphia SmartCEO, June 2011
- "Fraud Risk Factors," Philadelphia SmartCEO, May 2011
- "Private Equity Is a Process," chapter in Inside the Minds: Deal Strategies for Venture Capital and Private Equity Lawyers, January 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Interviewed, "GPs Under Attack: Fundraising and Regulation," Privcap, May 23, 2013