Robert L. Pratter
Duane Morris LLP
30 South 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-4196
Phone: +1 215 979 1173
Fax: +1 215 754 4845
Robert L. Pratter concentrates his practice on insurance regulatory and transactional matters, corporate governance, commercial litigation and other state and federal administrative issues. He has represented insurance organizations in numerous rate hearings, financial and market conduct examinations and holding company and affiliate transactions and other regulatory filings.
In addition to his career at Duane Morris, Mr. Pratter was acting Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioner and general counsel to an insurance enterprise specializing in property-casualty primary lines, excess and surplus lines, and reinsurance.
Mr. Pratter began his legal career at Duane Morris in 1969, practicing at the firm for 30 years. He headed its Administrative Law practice and served on the firmwide Partners Board before departing in 1999 to become senior vice president, general counsel and secretary of insurance holding company PMA Capital Corporation. In 2008, after guiding PMA through the process of becoming a publicly held company and providing counsel during the company's expansion, he joined the Pennsylvania Office of General Counsel as its executive deputy general counsel for litigation. From July 2008 to July 2011, Mr. Pratter oversaw litigation conducted by the 29 Commonwealth executive agencies and personally represented the Commonwealth in major litigation involving insurance health care reform, prevailing wage enforcement, civil rights and natural resources.
Throughout his legal career and particularly during his Commonwealth service, Mr. Pratter has participated in numerous legislative and regulatory reforms and drafting projects and litigation relating to such legislation. As a former general counsel of a public company, Mr. Pratter is also well-versed in securities law, corporate governance, business ethics and internal investigations. He has also handled numerous complex commercial disputes, including federal securities class actions; bankruptcy and business reorganization; professional liability; and general business litigation.
Mr. Pratter is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a magna cum laude graduate of Yale University. He is a member of the American Law Institute and University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court.
- American Law Institute
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of the United States
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1969
- Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1966
- Duane Morris LLP
- Of Counsel, 2011-present
- Partner, 1976-1999
- Associate, 1969-1976
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of the General Counsel
- Executive Deputy General Counsel - Litigation, 2008-2011
- Acting Insurance Commissioner, August 2010-January 2011
- PMA Capital Corporation
- General Counsel, Senior Vice President and Secretary, 1999-2007
- Co-author, "HHS Issues Final Rules on Essential Health Benefits, Federal and Partnership Exchange Qualified Health Plan Accreditation Timeline and Actuarial Value," Duane Morris Alert, March 6, 2013
- Co-author, "Multi-State Health Insurance Plan Regulations Further Boost Federal Role in Individual and Small Group Insurance Exchanges," Duane Morris Alert, December 13, 2012
- Co-author, "HHS Begins Releasing Long-awaited Affordable Care Act Proposed Rules," Duane Morris Alert, November 27, 2012
- Author, "Toobin's 'Oath' Fails to Make Its Case," The Buffalo News, September 16, 2012
- Co-author, "Insurance Holding Company Act Amendments of 2012," The Legal Intelligencer, July 18, 2012
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Raising Capital, Sensitive Disclosure Issues and Federal Securities Laws," ParenteBeard "Hot Topics in Insurance" Seminar, Paoli, Pennsylvania, September 2012
- Speaker, "Federal Campaign Finance Law Post Citizens United," University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court, February 2012