Sarbjit Singh Chopra practices in the area of commercial litigation and arbitration. He has handled a wide range of cases from construction disputes to defamation suits.
Mr. Chopra has acted in numerous matters in the High Court and the Court of Appeal over the years, including acting for solicitors before the Inquiry Committee of the Law Society. Sarbjit has also acted for foreign companies, including a listed foreign airport operator against local media for defamation. He has undertaken substantial projects for various clients and these include involvement in tenders for structural projects (eg. the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), telecommunication contracts and construction of power plants) and matters related to joint ventures.
Mr. Chopra was admitted as a Barrister-at-Law (Gray's Inn) and has been in practice as an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore since 1984. He has successfully completed a course in arbitration law and practice conducted by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and has worked on several arbitration matters. Mr. Chopra can speak English, Malay and Punjabi.
- Acted for a bank in the High Court in relation to claims on Letters of Hypothecation. The matter was settled.
- Acted for a bank in the High Court in relation to trust receipt claims which involved personally conducting investigation in the U.S. in relation to tracing of the goods secured under the trust receipts. The matter was settled.
- Acted for a bank in the Court of Appeal where it was successfully argued that the bank had priority in relation to its charge vis-a-vis another bank notwithstanding the bankruptcy of the customer and claims of set off.
- Acted for a company against a bank in the Court of Appeal wherein it was the customers' position that the bank had computed its claims wrongly. The bank settled the matter.
- Acted for a customer of a bank in the Court of Appeal disputing the computation of the bank's claims. The bank settled the matter.
- Represented a financial institution at trial in the High Court in relation to claims on assignment of receivables and to establish estoppel against a defence of set-off.
- Acted for a financial institution in the Court of Appeal to protect its confidential information by restraining an employee from working for competing institutions. An injunction was successfully obtained.
- Acting against a bank in relation to the setting aside of a bankruptcy order made against its customer on the basis that the bank documents, on which the claim was based were forged. This matter is settled.
- Acting against a bank for two separate claims for sums of $7.5 million and $800,000.00 in relation to unauthorized transactions relating to dual currency investments. The banks reached a settlement.
- Prepared the letters of offer, facility documents, guarantees and related documents in the establishment of a new factoring house in Singapore.
- Rendered various opinions to banks and financial institutions in relation to facilities and documents.
- Delivered various seminars and lectures in relation to conduct of factoring facilities, recovery process and priorities including a seminar for bankers in Vietnam.
- Acted for a client in striking out a claim brought by the U.K. government in Singapore for alleged VAT fraud in the sum of S$83 million.
- Negotiated the terms for the construction of a power plant (value approximately S$500 million) wherein he acted for the main contractor, negotiating with a government related body.
- Acted in an arbitration relating to the construction of work done in respect of tanks of a public sewage plant wherein he acted for a specialist contractor.
- Acting for a contractor in respect of a claim for tunneling works done for underground railways tracks. The claim was against the main contractor.
- Acting for a main contractor in an arbitration resisting a claim by a sub-contractor for works done at a public school.
- Acting for a specialist contractor for solar energy against claims by a sub-contractor in respect of installation works in a newly constructed School.
- Acted for an Austrian based formwork company in respect of claims for formwork works.
- Acted in an arbitration for works done by a sub-contractor for the air-conditioning and mechanical ventilation system in respect of a government complex.
- Acted in an appeal for a main contractor against an Arbitration Award made in favour of a sub-contractor for breach of natural justice.
- Acted in Court to restrain the filing of a winding-up petition by a sub-contractor against a main contractor.
- Acted in Court for a sub-contractor against a main contractor for cable laying, earthworks, sand filling and related works for work done.
- Acted for a professional engineer in a criminal charges under the Engineers Act.
- Acted in an arbitration for a Myanmar company and a Singapore company relating to the construction for pipe line for gas in Myanmar in resisting claims by a joint venture partner.
- Acted for a main contractor in arbitration in its claim against a Country Club for upgrading works.
- Acted for a contractor in defending a claim brought by a sub-contractor for underground piping works.
- High Court suit involving breach of copyright and fraud. Matter settled before trial.
- High Court suit relating to fraud and breach of a financial agreement involving fine arts - matter settled.
- High Court suit involving a claim for wrongful termination by a managing director of a multi-national company, wherein he represented the MNC. The matter was resolved before trial.
- Representing a prominent local company in relation to claims by another company relating to alleged theft of semiconductors.
- Representing a shareholder in a shareholding dispute involving a company having an estimated value of about $80 million which has involved numerous complex arguments.
- Representing a beneficiary of an estate worth about $15 million in relation to defamation and advise on the positioning of his various claims.
- Acting in a High Court matter involving claims of lifting of corporate veil.
- Represented a local prominent Chinese temple in relation to potential fraud and removal of office bearers.
- Representing a widow in relation to her claim as a shareholder through her husband's estate against a very prominent group of companies in the music industry.
- Acted in a High Court trial involving the cashew trade wherein the potential claims exceed US$5 million. Matter was resolved during the course of the trial. This involved gathering of evidence in India.
- Acting for a shareholder of a group of pawnshops involving claims for breach of fiduciary duties and wrongful allotment of shares.
- Acted in a High Court trial and at the Court of Appeal in relation to claims for recovery of shares involving a well-known budget hotel in Singapore.
- Acting as counsel in resisting an application for an injunction by a local airline against a pilot to restrain him being employed by an another airline.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- University of London, LL.B., 1982
- Gray's Inn, London, Barrister-at-Law, 1983
- Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Director, 2013-present
- Lim & Lim LLC (merged with Duane Morris & Selvam)
- Managing Director, 2007-2013
- Attorney, 1984-2013
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "The ASEAN Economic Outlook for 2015," The Asian Legal Business ASEAN Integration Summit, March 26, 2015
Duane Morris LLP is a law firm based in the United States founded in 1904. We use "Duane Morris" to refer to Duane Morris LLP, a Delaware limited liability partnership, and affiliated entities that practice under the name Duane Morris or a similar name. Reference to a "partner" means a person who is a partner, or person with the equivalent standing and qualifications thereto, in the Duane Morris entities.
In Singapore, Duane Morris Singapore LLP and Selvam LLC operate a Joint Law Venture serving clients throughout Asia, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, pursuant to Licence 2/2010 granted by the Attorney General of Singapore. Selvam LLC lawyers may provide services to clients of Duane Morris & Selvam under secondment from Selvam LLC pursuant to Licence 2/2010.