Teresa M. Maestrelli focuses her practice on labor and employment litigation. She represents clients in litigation before federal and state courts, and before the National Labor Relations Board. She advises clients on compliance with labor and employment laws, discipline and termination, wage and hour issues, and other employee-relations issues.
Ms. Maestrelli is a 2008 cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, where she was an associate editor of the University of Miami InterAmerican Law Review, and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where she received her B.B.A. with distinction.
- Obtained on behalf of a national satellite television installer and service provider a ruling for the client on all fourteen counts, alleging violations of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), arising out of the client's withdrawal of recognition of a union at one of their major facilities in Florida.
- Obtained a decision from the Florida Third District Court of Appeal reversing a $1 million jury verdict in favor of a former television reporter in her age and sex discrimination suit. Sunbeam Television Corp. v. Mitzel (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 3d Jan. 18, 2012).
- Obtained decision from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida on behalf of a real estate developer that vacated a judgment in favor of the plaintiff in a Title VII discrimination and retaliation case and dismissed the plaintiff’s claims due to her failure to disclose her bankruptcy filing to the court, and her failure to disclose her Title VII case to the bankruptcy court.
- Obtained a decision from the National Labor Relations Board affirming an administrative law judge's decision that the client had not engaged in unfair labor practices by terminating the employment of three employees because they were terminated for their conduct at work rather than their pro-union activities.
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- Labor Management Relations
- Noncompetes, Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- University of Wisconsin--Madison, B.B.A., with distinction, 2002
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2010-present
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Associate, 2008-2010
- Co-author, "D.C. Circuit Court Vacates the NLRB's Notice Posting Rule," Duane Morris Alert, May 9, 2013
- Co-author, "Florida Minimum Wage Is Now Higher Than Federal Minimum," Duane Morris Alert, June 20, 2011