Teresa M. Maestrelli focuses her practice on labor and employment litigation. She represents clients in litigation before federal and state courts, and before the National Labor Relations Board. She advises clients on compliance with labor and employment laws, discipline and termination, wage and hour issues, and other employee-relations issues.
Ms. Maestrelli is a 2008 cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, where she was an associate editor of the University of Miami InterAmerican Law Review, and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where she received her B.B.A. with distinction.
- Author, "Supreme Court Reinstates Pregnancy Discrimination Claim Against UPS," Duane Morris Alert, March 31, 2015
- Co-author, "San Francisco Voters Approve Minimum Wage Increase to $15 Per Hour by 2018," Duane Morris Alert, November 7, 2014
- Co-author, "Guidance for Employers Regarding Ebola," Duane Morris Alert, October 16, 2014
- Co-author, "NLRB's Approval of Micro-Units Is A Big Deal," Law360, October 6, 2014
- Co-author, "NLRB Deems Micro-Unit an Appropriate Bargaining Unit in Retail Industry," Duane Morris Alert, August 4, 2014
- Author, "Latest NLRB Ruling Further Limits Employers' Control of Off-Duty Employees' Access to the Workplace," Duane Morris Alert, May 12, 2014
- Co-author, "NLRB Finds Work Rules Barring 'Negativity' Unlawful," Duane Morris Alert, April 7, 2014
- Co-author, "Severance Payments Are Taxable Wages Under FICA," Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2014
- Co-author, "D.C. Circuit Court Vacates the NLRB's Notice Posting Rule," Duane Morris Alert, May 9, 2013
- Co-author, "Florida Minimum Wage Is Now Higher Than Federal Minimum," Duane Morris Alert, June 20, 2011
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "Alphabet Soup – The Interplay of ADA, FMLA and the Florida Workers' Compensation Statute," Duane Morris Breakfast Briefings, April 2014
- "Labor and Employment Law Outlook for 2014," Duane Morris Breakfast Briefings, December 2013
- "NLRB Rules for Non-Union Employers," Duane Morris Institute Webinar, November 2013
- "The Agencies Attack! An Analysis of the EEOC's Recent Guideline on the Use of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions & Recent NLRB Decisions Affecting Non-Union Employees," ACCA-SFL's Fourth Annual CLE Conference, September 2013
- "Signed, Sealed, Delivered: What a Second Obama Term Means to Your Business from a Labor and Employment Perspective," Duane Morris Institute Webinar, February 2013
- Represented the Goldfield Corporation (a provider of electrical construction and maintenance services in the energy infrastructure industry) in its $7.25 million acquisition of C and C Power Line, Inc. (a full service, union electrical contractor).
- Obtained on behalf of a national satellite television installer and service provider a ruling for the client on all fourteen counts, alleging violations of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), arising out of the client's withdrawal of recognition of a union at one of their major facilities in Florida.
- Obtained a decision from the Florida Third District Court of Appeal reversing a $1 million jury verdict in favor of a former television reporter in her age and sex discrimination suit. Sunbeam Television Corp. v. Mitzel (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 3d Jan. 18, 2012).
- Obtained decision from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida on behalf of a real estate developer that vacated a judgment in favor of the plaintiff in a Title VII discrimination and retaliation case and dismissed the plaintiff’s claims due to her failure to disclose her bankruptcy filing to the court, and her failure to disclose her Title VII case to the bankruptcy court.
- Obtained a decision from the National Labor Relations Board affirming an administrative law judge's decision that the client had not engaged in unfair labor practices by terminating the employment of three employees because they were terminated for their conduct at work rather than their pro-union activities.
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- Labor Management Relations
- Noncompetes, Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- University of Wisconsin--Madison, B.B.A., with distinction, 2002
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2010-present
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Associate, 2008-2010