Yvette D. Roland practices in the areas of complex civil and commercial litigation, insurance coverage and employment law. Since she began practicing law in 1987, Ms. Roland has been lead trial counsel on diverse types of cases involving copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, premises liability, environmental coverage, products liability and franchisor/franchisee litigation. Recently, Ms. Roland has been involved in the defense of a generic pharmaceutical company in coordinated actions against brand and generic pharmaceutical companies, pending in state courts in Los Angeles and Sacramento. Regarding employment litigation, Ms. Roland has represented employers against wrongful termination, retaliation, unfair competition, breach of contract, wage and hour, harassment and discrimination claims arising on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation and national origin. While she is a seasoned litigator in state and federal courts, Ms. Roland has resolved many multimillion-dollar disputes by implementing appropriate alternative dispute resolution measures.
Ms. Roland has served as a board member and past president of the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, and is a board member of the Black Women Lawyers Foundation and the California Association of Black Lawyers. She also is member of the American Bar Association, John M. Langston Bar Association, the National Bar Association.
Ms. Roland is a 1983 graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, where she was a member of the UCLA-Alaska Law Review, and a graduate of Stanford University (M.A.) and the University of California, Riverside (B.A., with honors). She was an Immigration Law Counselor at the UCLA Office of International Students & Scholars from 1983-1986. From 1986-1987, Ms. Roland was a law clerk to the Honorable Terry J. Hatter, Jr. of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. She occasionally serves as a UCLA moot court judge.
- Karly Greenshields v. Hoffman-La Roche, Inc., Ranbaxy, Inc., Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals, et al.
Defending major pharmaceutical manufacturer in failure to warn personal injury and products liability manufacturing and design defect litigation in state courts.
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores, et al. v. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Obtained preliminary injunction on behalf of National Association of Chain Drug Stores and National Community Pharmacists Association in litigation against federal Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid enjoining implementation of reimbursement rule.
- American Casualty Co. of Reading, Pa., et al. v. International Creative Management, et al.
Obtained a summary judgment order on behalf of insurers that required the insured to reimburse insurers for a $2.25 million settlement payment insurers had advanced to settle an underlying action age discrimination action.
- Alcala v. Consolidated Container Co.
Obtained summary judgment and attorney’s fee award for employer in wrongful termination, age discrimination, retaliation action
- Castilla v. Consolidated Container Co.
Obtained favorable settlement for employer in wrongful termination, age discrimination, retaliation actions.
- Maldonado v. Consolidated Container Co.
Obtained favorable settlement for employer in wrongful termination, age discrimination.
- Chen v. Todai Restaurant
Favorably settled sexual harassment, wrongful termination action
- Knorr v. Knorr Solution, Inc., et al.
Represented Unilever in trademark infringement actions.
- Flamma v. Mobil Oil Corporation.
Obtained directed verdict in favor of Mobil Oil in premises liability action
- Martin Marietta et al. v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co.
- Southern California Gas Co. v. AEGIS, Ltd., et al.
- Four Star Oil & Gas Co. [Texaco], et al. v. Allianz Ins. Co. et al.
- Safety-Kleen Envirosystems Company v. Continental Cas. Ins. Co. et al.
- Leslie Procter and Cos. v. Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Jensen-Kelly Corp. et al. v. Allianz Underwriters.
- Southern California Edison Co. v. American Home Assur. Co.
- USLIC (Safety-Kleen Envirosystems Co. v. Continental Cas. Co.
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Stanford University, M.A., 1974
- University of California, Riverside, B.A., with honors, 1973
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2006-present
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Partner, 1996-2005
- Associate, 1990-1996
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Judicial Law Clerk, Honorable Terry J. Hatter, Jr. 1986-87
- University of California at Los Angeles Office of International Students & Scholars
- Immigration Law Counselor, 1983-1986
- Ninth Circuit’s Advisory Committee or Rules and Internal Operating Procedures, 2013-2015
- American Bar Association
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- President, 2008-2009
- Black Women Lawyers of Los Angeles Foundation
- Board Member, 2000-present
- California Association of Black Lawyers
- Chair, Legislation Committee, 2007-present
- John M. Langston Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Duane Morris Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Member
Honors and Awards
- "President's Distinguished Service Award"- California Assn. of Black Lawyers, April 24, 2010
- Named a Southern California Super Lawyer
- "The Business of Law," sponsored by the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, California, February 19, 2004
- "Women of Distinction in the Business & Legal Community," presented by the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, May 6, 2004
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, One LA Healthcare Forum, "Implementation of the Affordable Care Act In California," September 6, 2013 and June 23, 2013
- Moderator, "Town Hall Meeting," California Association of Black Lawyers Conference, Los Angeles, April 27, 2013
- Speaker, "2012 Developments in Workplace Law and Practice," May 8, 2012
- "Client Relations-Best Practice Tips," Los Angeles County Bar Association, Los Angeles, California, March 11, 2010
- Instructor, "Introduction To Employment Law," Los Angeles County Bar Association, November 13, 2010
- "Banking On Our Future," Operation Hope, Morningside High School, Inglewood, California, December 11, 2008
- Chair and Moderator, Duane Morris Diversity Retreat, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 2008
- Speaker, "Phoenix Rising," Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, October 2007
- Panelist, Duane Morris Diversity Retreat, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 2007
- "Trying the Business Punitive Damages Case," Association of Business Trial Lawyers' 30th Annual Seminar, Hyatt Tamaya Resort, Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico, October 17-19, 2003
- "Depositions and Difficult Adversaries," Los Angeles County Bar Association Program, April 1999
- "Witness Preparation," Los Angeles County Bar Association Program, April 1999
- "Partnership - Is It A Crystal Stair?" California Association of Black Lawyers, May 1999
- "A Fireside Chat," Black Women Lawyers Education Committee Workshop, November 1997-2002
- "Insurance Updates," California Minority Counsel Program, November 1997
- "Trying the Complex Environmental Insurance Case," Lorman Education Services, 1996