Attorney Listing Related Matters Listing
- Duane Morris Practice Groups Receive Top Rankings from U.S. News-Best Lawyers for 2014
- Duane Morris Receives 61 Attorney and 20 Practice Citations for Excellence from Chambers USA
- Duane Morris Establishes Super Storm Sandy Economic and Community Development Group; Will Work in Concert with Duane Morris Government Strategies
- Duane Morris Partner Sheila Slocum Hollis to Speak at the Environmental Law Institute Seminar
- Duane Morris Attorneys Michael Clark and Joseph Burton to Participate in "Cybersecurity Litigation Risks and Compliance Threats"
- Duane Morris Partner Sheila Hollis to Serve as Delegate for World Justice Forum IV
- N.J. Supreme Court Decides Level of Causation Required to Seek Damages Under the Spill Act
- Audit Provisions in Private Construction Contracts: Which Costs Are Subject to Audit, Who Bears the Expense of the Audit, and Who Has the Burden of Proof on Audit Claims?
- N.J. Department of Environmental Protection to Begin Accepting Waiver Rule Applications on August 1, 2012
When industry or government leaders need advice on environmental matters, Duane Morris attorneys are often the advisors and advocates turned to first. Members of our practice group represent clients with regulatory compliance, enforcement and transaction-related needs. Our attorneys also assist federal and state regulators and agencies in the formation and implementation of regulations and policy. Duane Morris lawyers have a depth of experience in environmental defense matters as well as internal investigations and criminal grand jury proceedings.
Our group has been involved in multibillion-dollar transactions and litigated significant cases on complex regulatory issues before government agencies and state and federal courts. Duane Morris attorneys have been members of, and frequently deal with, numerous agencies, committees, commissions and associations that impact our environmental clients.
Duane Morris' environmental lawyers have represented clients on environmental matters arising under an array of federal programs and their state equivalents, including the federal Clean Air Act, Superfund, Clean Water Act, and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act programs. Their experience has ranged from serving as lead counsel for PRP groups in multiparty Superfund litigation, to defending clients in civil and criminal CAA and CWA investigation and enforcement proceedings, to representing clients in CAA Title V permit proceedings. Our attorneys have been involved in developing and leading cutting-edge challenges to the national test methods used by the EPA for measuring opacity of air emissions, the categorization of fugitive emissions in the context of product storage, and the joint federal/state evaluation of a leading national underground storage tank tightness test method.
Our strategic approach to each matter is calculated with the client's business goals in mind. Our environmental group has led and managed many client/counsel teams to successful resolutions of multifaceted problems, often in the face of potential exposures in the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars.
Partners in our group have served in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, as chair of the ABA Standing Committee on Environmental Law, chair of the ABA's Section on Environment, Energy and Resources and chair of the Environmental Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association.
As seasoned practitioners, our attorneys are often asked to solve the largest and most intricate compliance and regulatory problems. We defend clients in litigation matters through trial and on appeal.
Duane Morris lawyers are knowledgeable and experienced in the international arena, including environmental regulations that affect the operations of cross-border businesses and lending institutions.
Our clients report that they have chosen to work with Duane Morris because of the depth of experience we offer in all areas of environmental law. Our clients include chemical, electronics, oil, pharmaceutical and consumer products companies; refineries; environmental consultants and engineers; water districts; investor-owned and municipal electric utilities; large energy users; real estate and financial institutions; multistate and international operating facilities; private water supply developers; agricultural interests; sanitary and utility districts; joint power authorities; industry associations; and national, state and local governments and agencies.
Our Environmental Practice offers a full range of services and, as a result of our broad experience and capabilities, often advises on long-term planning and competitive strategies to help guide clients toward growth and profitability.
Types of matters:
- Civil and administrative governmental enforcement actions
- Regulatory counseling and agency advocacy
- Environmental audits and compliance
- Risk assessments
- Cost recovery and contribution actions
- Internal investigations
- Real estate and corporate transactions
- Development of environmental management systems
- Environmental crimes
- Litigation and compliance matters
- Permitting - both defense and appeals
Substantive areas include air, water, drinking water, solid and hazardous waste, Superfund, FIFRA, compliance with above and underground storage tanks requirements, children's health, toxic torts, brownfields and TSCA.
Our environmental lawyers often work closely with other members of Duane Morris' Energy, Environment and Natural Resources group, as well as with members of the firm's practices dedicated to Trial, Corporate, Finance, Real Estate, Business Reorganization and Financial Restructuring and Tax, to assist our clients in solving problems. In addition, our lawyers frequently coordinate their work with that of our clients' government and public relations advisors, including our affiliate, Duane Morris Government Strategies.