Services for Emerging Businesses/Entrepreneurs
Duane Morris has a strong commitment to the emerging business community. Our Emerging Business Group assists many new and emerging businesses with all aspects of their formation, growth, financing and development.
In particular, the Group provides services in the following areas:
- Start-up and growth planning, including identifying and structuring an appropriate legal entity, assisting in the preparation of business plans and structuring and drafting agreements among stockholders and partners.
- Securities law compliance and advice, including structuring the terms of corporate stock, partnership interests and other securities; representation in connection with the offer and sale of securities, including drafting private offering documents and federal and state securities law compliance; negotiating and structuring venture capital investments, debt instruments and other financing relationships; representation in initial public offerings; and securities law compliance by public companies.
- Structuring and drafting employment, consulting and noncompete agreements, and drafting and providing advice regarding various types of stock option and other equity incentive plans, employee stock savings plans and other employee benefit plans.
- Intellectual property services, including procuring, licensing and enforcing patents, trademarks and copyrights; counseling with respect to patentability, validity and infringement issues and developing strategic alliances.
- Negotiating and structuring corporate partner relationships, acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, distribution arrangements and franchising relationships.
- General business representation, including advice in connection with bank loans, leases and other business contracts.
Lawyers from different disciplines in the firm work together to provide emerging businesses with the comprehensive legal services required for successful business ventures.
Duane Morris has served as counsel to several venture capital funds for many years and has considerable experience in structuring venture capital and other equity and mezzanine investments in early stage companies. The Group has also represented numerous entrepreneurs in starting, acquiring and financing emerging businesses.
Duane Morris attorneys across the country are members of, and work with, numerous organizations dedicated to promoting economic growth and creating an environment in which high-technology companies can flourish. Some of these organizations include:
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners
- Biotechnology Greenhouse of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Entrepreneurs' Forum of Greater Philadelphia
- Greater Philadelphia Venture Group
- Houston Technology Center
- Launchpad Venture Group
- Life Sciences Greenhouse of Central Pennsylvania
- Mid-Atlantic Venture Conference
- MIT Enterprise Forum
- New Jersey Technology Council
- New York Young Startup Venture Summit
- Northern Virginia Technology Council
- Peak Pitch Entrepreneurs/Venture Capital Conference
- Pennsylvania Biotechnology Association
- Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- San Diego Venture Group
- Technology Council of Eastern Pennsylvania
- Ultra Light Startups
- Upstate Venture Association of New York
- Women's Investment Network