Cosmetics, fragrance and personal care products manufacturers, distributors, marketers and retailers make up Aliza Karetnick's core clients. Aliza advises industry participants on a host of issues, including commercial and intellectual property disputes, FDA and FTC compliance, advertising, labeling and claim substantiation, and she manages clients' needs in a breadth of other areas, such as intellectual property protection and corporate transactions. As a seasoned trial lawyer with an international practice, expertise in commercial and intellectual property litigation and consumer class actions, and as an active member of the International Cosmetics Manufacturers and Distributors Association and the Personal Care Products Counsel, Aliza is the go-to attorney for industry clients seeking a business partner to provide comprehensive legal advice.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property/Unfair Competition Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Commercial and Complex Litigation
- Counsel cosmetics manufacturer on FDA inspection and compliance issues.
- Advise personal care products company on K beauty import issues and work with FDA to secure release of imported product.
- Counsel multi-national perfumer and producer of flavor chemicals in commercial litigation and intellectual property matters.
- Counsel multi-national company partnering with cosmetics and pharmaceutical manufacturers in product substantiation and clinical trials.
- Advise publicly traded global manufacturer and purveyor of regulated foods in unfair competition matters.
- Obtained affirmance by Third and Ninth Circuits on novel Copyright, Lanham Act and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act issues.
- Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors Association, Member
- Personal Care Products Counsel, Member
- Cosmetic Executive Women, Member
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Students Run Philly Style
- Director, 2008-present
- Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- Director, 2001-2011
- ABA Committee on State Constitutional Rights
- Vice Chair, 2001-2003
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Philadelphia Bar Run Benefitting Support Center for Child Advocates
- Committee Member, 2008-2012
- Project H.O.M.E.
- Committee Member, 2008-2010
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1998
- Articles Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law
- Penn Public Interest Fellow
- Bates College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1993
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Duane Morris LLP, 2009-present
- DM Women's Impact Network for Success, Program Coordinator
- WolfBlock LLP, 1998-2009
Honors and Awards
Recipient, "2017 Diversity Award," Diversity Law Institute
Listed in Philadelphia Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America - Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2014-present
- Named one of 35 "Employees of the Month" in Esquire, Working magazine, Fall 2012
Named a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer, 2011
- Selected as a Pennsylvania Rising Star, 2005-2008, 2010-2011
- Penn Public Interest Scholar
Interviewed, "Expert Dialogue - A Look at the Complicated Rules Governing Influencer Partnerships," Beauty Independent, December 18, 2018
Author, "Beauty Products Caught in an Ugly Trade War," Cosmetics Design, July 30, 2018
Co-author, "Counterfeit Cosmetics: Fake Beauty, Real Danger," Law360, April 25, 2018