Ms. Bassen is a 2010 graduate of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where she was a member of the Cardozo Public Law, Policy & Ethics Journal and the Criminal Defense Clinic, and is a graduate of Cornell University.
Areas of Practice
- White-Collar Defense Litigation
- New York
- New Jersey
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Cornell University, B.S., 2005
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2016-present
- The Law Offices of Andrew J. Frisch
- Associate, 2013-2015
- Cole, Schotz, Meisel, Forman & Leonard P.A.
- Associate, 2010-2013
- Federal Bar Council
- Committee on Sentencing and Alternatives to Incarceration
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Honors and Awards
Listed in Super Lawyers New York Metro Rising Stars, 2015-2018
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Advisory Board Member, GlamourGals
- Co-author, "Anti-Corruption 2018 Practice Guide," Chambers and Partners, September 2017
- Co-author, "U.S. Aims to Increase Transparency in Order to Combat Offshore Abuses in Wake of Release of Panama Papers," Duane Morris Alert, May 6, 2016
- Co-author, "U.S. Supreme Court Strengthens Protections for Criminal Defendants' Right to Counsel in the Federal Courts," Duane Morris Alert, March 31, 2016
- Co-author, "Absence of Reference to LLCs in the Code: An 'Insider' Problem," ABI Journal, August 2012
- Author, "Ask a Lawyer: Should Company Cover Officer's Attorneys' Fees?" The Record, May 2011
- Author, "Patient Neglect in Nursing Homes and Long Term Care Facilities in New York State: The Need for New York to Implement Programs and Procedures to Combat Elder Neglect," 8 CPLPEJ 179, 2009
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "Recent Developments Involving Insider Litigation in Bankruptcy," CLE Presentation, January 2013
- Represented former Chief Financial Officer of Dewey & LeBoeuf at criminal jury trial in New York Supreme Court, resulting in numerous acquittals, with the jury unable to reach a verdict on the remaining charges.
- Obtained a sentence in federal court in Manhattan, on behalf of the former Director of Operations of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, of only 10 years in prison, with the last year to be served in home confinement; much less than the effective life sentence sought by the government.
- Obtained sentence of time served for client extradited from Australia in connection with role in Silk Road website.
- Represented individual accused of insurance fraud and theft by deception. Obtained suppression of non-custodial statement on unprecedented grounds in New Jersey.