Anjali Kulkarni practices in the areas of white collar litigation, commercial litigation and privacy, with an emphasis on a solutions-driven approach in complex disputes. Ms. Kulkarni has substantive experience in intellectual property, contractual, employment, and business disputes. She is a member of the Firm's Technology Group.
Ms. Kulkarni has counseled clients in the healthcare, finance, and technology industries on issues surrounding data privacy and security. She has advised clients on navigating state and federal privacy laws, including HIPAA, CCPA, TCPA and GDPR and advised on regulatory and compliance issues and data breach response. She is an ANSI accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States Credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Ms. Kulkarni has assisted with conducting corporate internal investigations, and white-collar litigation, including the sentencing phases of trial, in both the state and federal courts. A collaborative team player, Ms. Kulkarni has experience drafting complex pleadings, defending depositions, conducting client and employee interviews, appearing in court, and conducting all phases of discovery.
Ms. Kulkarni is a 2013 graduate of Santa Clara University School of Law, where she was a member of the Dean’s List and received the CALI Award in Criminal Law. While at Santa Clara, Ms. Kulkarni was President of Women and Law and a Moot Court Finalist. She additionally holds a Master’s degree in Teaching from Pace University, which she received while serving as a 2007 Corp Member of Teach For America, and graduated, with honors, from the University of Southern California.
Areas of Practice
White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Advised tax advisor on navigating sensitive data breach, including breach notification and remediation.
- Developed complex privacy policies, security policies, and internal security and risk assessment procedures for publicly traded social media company for compliance with FTC and CCPA.
- Conducted internal investigation and developed public relations strategy for a software company after an indictment for bribery and wire fraud exposed the company to legal issues with its public sector clients.
- Represented regents of a large public university in an employment case involving claims of gender and disability discrimination, retaliation, and violations of the California Equal Pay Act. The jury found for the plaintiff on her disability discrimination and retaliation claims, but motions for judgment notwithstanding the verdict and for a new trial were successfully granted, with the jury verdict being vacated, resulting in judgment for the Regents on all claims.
- Counsel to the founder and managing member of a hedge fund in an SEC investigation regarding insider trading.
- Defense of Securities Investor indicted on Securities fraud. Drafted motion to dismiss, motion to seal documents; sentencing memorandum; responded to government rebuttals and oppositions; managed discovery.
- Defense of State Senator indicted on RICO, Racketeering, Honest Services Fraud and Arms Trafficking. Drafted sentencing memoranda, probation reports, rebuttals to government sentencing memoranda and legal bases for oral argument.
- Counsel to technology company in internal investigation involving public corruption in procurement of municipal contracts.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Pace University, M.S., 2009
- University of Southern California, B.A., 2007
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2017-present
- Murphy, Pearson, Bradley & Feeney LLP
- Associate, 2014-2017
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Associate, 2013-2014
Justice and Diversity Center of San Francisco
- Board Member, January 2018
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Board of Directors, 2017-2020
- Co-author, "California Attorney General Proposes Modified CCPA Regulations – Overview of Significant Proposed Changes," Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2020
Co-author, "Nevada Privacy Law Takes Effect October 1: Is Your Company Compliant?" Duane Morris Alert, September 23, 2019
Co-author, "New Jersey Supreme Court Blocks Public Access to Police Dashcam Footage," Duane Morris Alert, August 16, 2018
Co-author, "California Passes Nation's Strictest Data Privacy Law," Duane Morris Alert, July 9, 2018
"Ransomware: A Growing Threat," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Spring 2018
Co-author, "Recreational Cannabis for Sale in California," Cannabis Blog, January 4, 2018