Anjuli M. Cargain practices in the area of employment and labor law. Anjuli represents employers in all aspects of employment litigation involving claims for wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, and wage and hour violations. She also provides advice and counsel on personnel policies and practices, employment and severance agreements, and a variety of other employment issues.
In addition, Anjuli has experience in employee benefits and ERISA litigation involving benefit claims by participants, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, ERISA Section 510 claims, stock drop claims, Department of Labor lawsuits, and delinquent contribution and withdrawal liability claims related to Taft Hartley multiemployer plans.
Areas of Practice
Employment and Labor Law
Defended Allergan Inc. and individual board members from start to finish in an ERISA “stock drop” case, successfully securing dismissal of all claims and affirmance on appeal by the 3rd Circuit court of appeals; the court rejected plaintiffs’ allegations that the company and board members had inside knowledge of a price-fixing conspiracy leading to inflation of its stock price, which they claimed affected workers and retirees in the employee stock ownership plan.
- Represented an international company in an ERISA and breach of oral contract action filed in federal court in California arising from a life insurance dispute involving a former employee who had taken a medical leave and died of cancer without returning to work; his estate and widow pursued a claim for life insurance benefits from the client’s insurance carrier, a co-defendant in the civil action. The case was ultimately resolved through virtual mediation at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Defended international company against racial harassment and retaliation action filed in federal court in Tennessee by three plaintiffs who alleged they had been terminated because they complained about racial harassment in the workplace; the matter was ultimately resolved through confidential settlement.
Represent third party administrator in ERISA section 510 retaliation and breach of contract actions.
Provide ongoing wage and hour analysis to counsel small and large employers in various industries.
Represent patient transport services company in lawsuit involving claims of blacklisting.
Drafted recruitment services agreement for commercial contracting and construction management services company.
Provided advice and counsel to client on appropriate procedures and options for managing notice to employees under the federal and state WARN Acts.
Drafted employment handbook for small and large employers in various industries.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Rutgers Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., 2003
National Association of Women Lawyers (“NAWL”)
- Women in Employment Law Practice Area Affinity Group
- 2021 Host Committee, Mid-Year Meeting
- 2020 Planning Committee, National Night of Giving Supporting Girls, Inc.
- 2019 Mid-Year Meeting Planning Committee
Contra Costa County Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- President, 2021
- Board Member, 2019 and 2020
- Ladder Down, 2017 Program Participant
Western Pension & Benefits Council of San Francisco
- Author of the Quarterly Legislative & Regulatory Update
Honors and Awards
- Named to Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch," 2021
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Donald Rheem Elementary School
- PTA Board Member, Assistant VP, Community & Leadership
- Member, Cultural Proficiency Committee
Moraga Junior Women's Club
Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Contributor, Duane Morris Fashion, Retail and Consumer Branded Goods Blog
- Co-author, "Vaccine Guidance Arrives for California Employers," Duane Morris Alert, March 23, 2021
- Co-author, "California's New Extensive COVID-19 Safety and Health Regulations Include Employer-Required Testing," Duane Morris Alert, December 10, 2020
- Co-author, "San Francisco's COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Ordinance Takes Effect," Duane Morris Alert, April 28, 2020
- Co-author, "California Order Provides COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave for Essential Food Workers and Tightens Sanitation Standards," Duane Morris Alert, April 21, 2020
- Co-author, "Navigating California's Local Paid Sick Leave Ordinances in Light of COVID-19," Duane Morris Alert, April 14, 2020
- Co-author, "San Francisco Enacts Emergency Ordinance: Public Health Emergency Leave," Duane Morris Alert, April 9, 2020
- Chapter Author, "Employee Mobility, Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets," (6th Circuit), ABA Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2019
Chapter Author, "Employee Mobility, Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets," (4th Circuit), ABA Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2018
Chapter Author, "Employee Mobility, Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets," (11th Circuit), ABA Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2017
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Reopening in California and the Post-Pandemic Workplace: Recent Developments and Emerging Challenges in Employment and Immigration," Duane Morris LLP, Webinar, April 29, 2021
- Speaker, "Q&A on Disparate Impact & COVID-19," CCCBA's 26th Annual MCLE Spectacular, November 19, 2020
- Panel Speaker, "Disparate Impact Of Covid-19 On The Workforce: Strategies For Avoiding Discrimination At Work," Contra Costa Bar Association – Employment Law Section, Webinar, October 23, 2020
- Panel Speaker, "Preventing Pandemic Pandemonium: Returning to the Workplace in the Age of COVID-19," Contra Costa Bar Association – Employment Law Section, Webinar, August 27, 2020
- Speaker, "Lessons for the Leap Year," Duane Morris Breakfast Briefing, San Francisco, February 25, 2020
- Speaker, "2020 Navigation Guide for the West Coast: Oregon Employment Law Update," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, January 29, 2020
- Speaker, “Employment Law Section Annual Update,” Contra Costa Bar Association, Concord, CA, January 28, 2020
- Speaker, “Employment Lawsuits, Part I: Intake and Response,” Contra Costa Bar Association MCLE Spectacular, Walnut Creek CA, November 22, 2019
Speaker, "Tick Tock Tech," Duane Morris' Developments in Workplace Law and Practice, "The Work Place - New Episodes in Your Favorite Programs," San Francisco, May 14, 2019
Speaker, "Forward Thinking: The Latest Developments in Employment and Immigration Law and Preparing Your Workplace for the Future," Duane Morris Breakfast Briefing, November 13, 2018