Anthony L. Gallia is an experienced trial lawyer. Mr. Gallia serves as lead trial counsel in multimillion-dollar complex disputes in state and federal courts across the United States. He regularly represents and counsels clients, both plaintiff and defendant, in matters involving commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, contracts, commercial real estate transactions, covenants not to compete/restrictive covenants, manufacturer/distributor disputes, products liability, and securities litigation. Mr. Gallia also has significant trial experience representing individuals, manufacturers, distributors, and other commercial entities in complex injunction proceedings involving claims of unfair trade practices, consumer fraud, protection of intellectual property, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair competition, as well as matters involving catastrophic personal injuries and wrongful death.
In addition to his courtroom experience as trial counsel in both civil and criminal cases, Mr. Gallia has successfully represented clients in disputes through arbitration in local, national, and international forums. And when in the best interest of his clients, Mr. Gallia has successfully resolved disputes through mediation (binding and non-binding) and favorable settlements.
Mr. Gallia is a Hearing Committee Member for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey, Mr. Gallia is a member of the American, Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia bar associations. Philadelphia Magazine selected Mr. Gallia as a Pennsylvania "Rising Star" in business and intellectual property litigation in 2007, 2008, and 2010 and as a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" in 2009. The New York State Bar Association named Mr. Gallia as a 2015 Empire State Counsel Honoree.
Mr. Gallia graduated summa cum laude from the University of Akron School of Law with both a juris doctorate and master's degree in public administration. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Scranton.
- Commercial Litigation/Auction and Antiques – Represented Kamelot Auction House – distinguished international auction house headquartered in Philadelphia – in dispute with twin brothers Leslie and Leigh Keno, the high-energy and high-profile figures in the world of art, automobiles, and antiques and recurring celebrities of PBS' highly-rated Antiques Roadshow. New York Times article located at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/arts/design/keno-brothers-sued-by-2-auction-houses-say-they-made-a-mistake.html?_r=0
- Commercial Litigation/Contract Dispute – Obtained defense and counterclaim jury verdict on behalf of development agent for national franchisor in dispute with former business partner. The unanimous jury rejected in its entirety the plaintiff's claims, and awarded complete relief on client's counterclaims. On post-trial motions, Mr. Gallia obtained an award of more than $350,000 in attorneys' fees and costs, one of the largest such awards in Pennsylvania.
- Commercial Litigation/Restrictive Covenants – Lead counsel for SAP America, Inc. in matter involving key executive’s abrupt resignation and theft of hundreds of thousands of confidential and trade secret documents. Court entered preliminary and special injunction order enjoining former employee from engaging in post-SAP employment activities and requiring that employee return all confidential, proprietary, and trade secret documents and information.
- Intellectual Property Litigation/Copyright Infringement – Obtained jury verdict in favor of international jewelry and specialty retailer Tiffany & Co. in $45 million copyright infringement and Lanham Act suit.
- Intellectual Property Litigation/Trademark Infringement – Obtained decision following a trial in United States District Court for the District of Delaware for Archibald ("Archie") Lingo and Archie's Market, Inc., permanently enjoining the defendants from using the federally registered mark "Lingo's Market" and awarding plaintiffs attorneys' fees and costs of suit.
- Commercial Litigation/Consumer Protection – Obtained dismissal with prejudice on behalf of international computer hardware manufacturer and wholly-owned finance subsidiary of multimillion-dollar claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Medical Device Litigation/Product Liability – Represents global medical device manufacturer in litigation involving its "metal on metal" hip implant system. Thousands of cases are part of an MDL proceeding being handled in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and consolidated matters in the State Court of California.
- Commercial Litigation/Theft of Trade Secrets -- Counsel to pharmaceutical vendor management company in federal court case involving breaches of non-disclosure agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets relating to proprietary software; obtained temporary restraining order precluding competitor from using or disclosing client's confidential information.
- Securities Litigation – Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national, licensed broker/dealer in a multimillion-dollar class action securities lawsuit.
- Commercial Litigation/Commercial Real Estate – Represented major commercial real estate and Brownfield developer in multi-week arbitration involving dispute related to conversion of an historical electrical power generation station into a Class A, 396,000 square foot office complex. Client was defendant which brought counterclaims. Arbitration panel found against petitioner (plaintiff) on all claims and for the respondent (defendant/client) on all counterclaims.
- Commercial Representation/Counseling – Represents a diversified investment firm with more than $1.5 billion in assets that specializes in acquiring value-add investments across a spectrum of asset classes, including commercial real estate, development land, and land-based operating business entities.
- Catastrophic Injury/Wrongful Death Litigation – Represented estate and heirs of recreational fisherman killed in a collision with a 60-foot yacht off the New Jersey coast. Award was one of largest awards in New Jersey.
- Pro Bono Litigation – Represented pro bono a former U.S. Diplomat in resolving a partnership dispute, concerning a luxury condominium complex in Center City, Philadelphia, before the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- University of Akron School of Law, J.D./M.P.A., summa cum laude, 2000
- University of Scranton, B.S., 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2009-present
- Associate, 2000-2008
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Empire State Counsel Honoree, New York State Bar Association
- Selected as a Pennsylvania "Lawyer on the Fast Track", 2009
- Selected as a Pennsylvania "Rising Star" in business and intellectual property litigation, 2007, 2008, and 2010
Quoted, "DOCUmation of San Antonio Competitor Files Lawsuit Over Trademark, Noncompete Agreements," San Antonio Business Journal, June 5, 2018
- Quoted in "Metals Company Alleges It Was Victim of Retail Conspiracy," The Legal Intelligencer, September 16, 2016
- Quoted in "Malvern Area Business Seeks $1M in Damages," Daily Local News, September 13, 2016
- Co-author, "Russia's Personal Data Localization Law: Expanding Enforcement," Duane Morris Alert, April 27, 2016
- Co-author, "Russia's Personal Data Localization Law Goes into Effect", Duane Morris Alert, October 16, 2015
- Co-author, "Russia's New Personal Data Localization Law Goes into Effect in September 2015", Duane Morris Alert, June 15, 2015
- "Your Weapons, You Will Not Need Them", Comment on the Supreme Court's Sixty-Year Silence on The Right to Keep and Bear Arms, 33 Akron Law Review 131 (1999)