Derrick Boo practices in the areas of private equity, capital markets, regulatory and compliance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate law. In particular, he regularly advises clients on compliance with Singapore's security laws, the setting up of funds and fund management companies, and joint ventures.
Derrick's clients include private equity and venture capital funds, Singapore listed companies, technology start-ups and major retailers.
Prior to entering private practice, Derrick was an in-house legal counsel for a Singapore listed company and subsequent to entering private practice, he has been seconded to a Singapore listed company and a capital market intermediary as legal counsel.
Derrick holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Southern California, USC Gould School of Law and graduated with a Bachelor in Science, Finance and Accounting, high distinction, from Indiana University, Kelly School of Business.
He is admitted to the State Bar of California and as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Areas of Practice
- Private Equity
Regulatory and Compliance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- General Corporate
- Represented SEACOR Holdings Inc. (NYSE: CKH), a marine services public company, in connection with its subsidiary’s acquisition of two companies based in London and two companies based in Singapore, all of which are engaged in vessel response, crisis communication, and public relations services for the global maritime industry.
- Advised a leading global satellite telecommunications service provider in its S$18.5 million acquisition of a leading satellite communications service provider based in Singapore.
- Advised the founders of a private Singapore-based mobile financial services company in its US$30 million acquisition by a foreign company listed on the NASDAQ.
- Advised the majority shareholder of a private Singapore-based manufacturer in its S$3.28 million acquisition by a Chinese acquirer.
- Advised a major Korean mobile platform company on its Singapore subsidiary's US$2.7 million acquisition of a Thai online agency.
- Performed due diligence, reviewed transactional documents and provided Singapore law advice on the acquisition of Singapore target companies to various Japanese companies listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Advised a regional fintech company on its equity and debt Series A fund raising of US$12 million.
- Advised a global investor programme (GIP) fund on its investment in a Singapore company by way of a S$1.5 million convertible loan.
- Advised a Singapore registered fund management company on the setting up of a new venture capital fund with a targeted fund size of US$100 million.
- Advised a Singapore-based private equity fund in respect of a US$68.5 million syndicated loan led by Standard Chartered Bank.
- Advised a major regional Internet-based fashion retailer in respect of its cross-border procurement agreements.
- Advised a Chilean wine producer on the setting up of a Singapore investment holdings company and the subsequent restructuring of its group companies.
- Advised various Singapore companies on corporate actions, including share buybacks, capital reductions, amalgamations, and 'whitewash' of financial assistance.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Banking and Finance
- USC Gould School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Indiana University, Kelly School of Business, B.S., 2004
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Associate Director, September 2018-present
- Associate Director, 2018-September 2018
- Senior Associate, 2016-2018
- Associate, 2013-2015
- Creative Technology Ltd
- Legal Counsel, 2010-2011
- Glancy Binkow & Goldberg LLP, Los Angeles
- Contract Attorney, 2008-2009
- Co-author, "Singapore Amends Payment Services Act," Duane Morris Alert, January 27, 2021
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Updates for Singapore Employers: Safe Distancing, Cost Reduction and Government Support," Duane Morris Alert, April 27, 2020
- Co-author, "Alternative Arrangements for Companies’ General Meetings," Duane Morris Alert, April 15, 2020
- Co-author, "Required Annual General Meetings for Singapore Companies During COVID-19 Restrictions," Duane Morris Alert, April 8, 2020
Author, "Singapore Unveils New Type of Investment Entity to Compete with Other Jurisdictions," April 2, 2018
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Convertible Seed Financing Instruments - SAFE, CARE and KISS," VIMA vs. the World Webinar Series, 1 December 2020