Eberhard H. Röhm is a native of Munich, Germany, and now lives and practices law in the United States. Mr. Röhm's practice is focused on international transactional matters with Germany and other European Union countries. He oversees and handles corporate and real estate mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, securities offerings for clients in the automotive, machinery, banking and finance, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, computer software, energy, real estate development and management, commercial and industrial construction, and entertainment industries and for foreign governments. He was in charge of the U.S. legal practice of the Ernst & Young global legal network. He serves as an international arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and the International Chamber of Commerce.
The current co-chair of the Committee on International Banking, Securities and Financial Transactions of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association, Mr. Röhm is active in other bar associations as well as the Practising Law Institute, the American Council on Germany, the German-American Law Association, the German-American Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Legal Studies, among others. In addition to being the author of international financial reporting standards and German securities regulations, he speaks at legal seminars, most recently in Mexico City, Frankfurt and Tokyo about the implications of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act for foreign executives and in New York on attorney-client privilege and on the convergence of international stock exchanges. He is fluent in German and French and can read Italian, Spanish and Russian.
Admitted to practice in California (Foreign Legal Consultant), Illinois, New York, and Germany, Mr. Röhm holds German and U.S. law degrees, having graduated from Fordham University School of Law, the University of Heidelberg and the University of Bonn.
- Represented a New York based corporation in a $44,100,000.00 loan modification.
- Represented TUEV SUED company in its strategic acquisition of RCI Consultants Inc., a U.S. testing corporation, located in Houston, Texas, including due diligence.
- Acquisition by German investor of real estate in Miami Beach, FL.
- Represented a Spanish acquirer in a proposed purchase of a slate roof producer.
- Represented ThinkSmart, Ltd., an Australian lease finance company, in establishing operations in the U.S.
- Advised a U.S. public company in connection with an internal restructuring involving the issuance of "stapled stock" to an affiliated entity.
- Startup of cosmetics company in the U.S. by an EU concern.
- Advised Allied Irish Banks, plc in preparation and filing of Form S-8 for issuance of ordinary shares for purposes of issuing ADR's to participants in its incentive equity plan.
- Represented J.A. Jones Construction in conducting vendor due diligence.
- Represented a Spanish petroleum company in connection with a proposed acquisition of a Taiwanese manufacturing entity.
- Acquisition by a German manufacturer in a bid for a Philippines-based business.
- Acquisition of VDL Enabling Technologies.
- Conducted due diligence in proposed Section 323 sale of LF Publications.
- Conducted vendor due diligence in the proposed sale of VF International.
- Establishment of international foundations and non-profit corporations in the U.S.
- Advised the International Osteoporosis Foundation in establishing a U.S. chapter.
- Advised the Friends of the Musee du Louvre Foundation regarding Section 501(c)(3) requirements.
- Advised the National Conference for Community and Justice New York regarding judicial dissolution under New York Business Corporation Article 11.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities Regulations
- International Law
- Employment Law
- California (Foreign Legal Consultant)
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Fordham University, J.D., 1976
- Ministry of Justice of Northrhine-Westfalia, State Judicial Exam, 1973
- University of Bonn, Received German law degree, 1968
- University of Heidelberg, Studies leading to German law degree, 1965
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Arent Fox LLP
- Partner, 2005-2007
- Donahue & Partners LLP
- Managing Partner, 2001-2005
- Fulbright & Jaworski LLP
- Partner, 1989-2001
- Rohm International, PC
- Managing Partner 1975-1989
- American Bar Association
- German Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, International Banking, Securities and Financial Transactions Committee, 1996-present
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Committee on International Law, 1979-1982
- Committee on Comparative Law, 1976-1979
- International Bar Association
- American Council on Germany, Chapter Chair, San Diego Warburg Chapter
- German-American Chamber of Commerce
- American Arbitration Association
- Center for International Legal Studies
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2006, 2009 and 2010
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- German School of New York
- Co-Founder and Trustee, 1980-1983
- German American San Diego Foundation
- California Western School of Law
- Co-author, "U.S. Financial Reform: Creation of the Federal Insurance Office and the Financial Stability Oversight Council," Duane Morris Alert, August 24, 2010
- Carole Basri, Corporate Compliance Practice Guide, Chapter on Consultants and Outside Counsel, 2009
- Carole Basri, International Corporate Practice, Chapter on International Financial Reporting Standards, 2008
- Bloomenthal /Wolff, International Capital Markets and Securities Regulations, Chapter on German Securities Regulations, 2006
- "Choice of Law in International Distribution Contracts," New York International Law Review, 1998 (Vol. 10)
- "Das amerikanische Gesellschaftsrecht," (IWB), 1996
- "Das amerikanische Arbeitsrecht," (IWB), 1996
- "Corporate Environmental Liability in the United States," Campbell, Approaching 2000: The Corporation in Transition (Kluwer), 1994
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Living and Working in the U.S." German American Business Association (GABA), February 25, 2016
- Panel Chair, "Establishing Businesses/Investments in the U.S.," Joint Meeting of the N.Y. State Bar Association International Section and the Union Internationale des Avocats, New York City, September 13, 2010
- Panel Moderator, "International Matters," Practising Law Institute's Global Financial Issues 2010: Preparing for the Future, New York City, August 4, 2010
- Panelist, "Compliance Symposium: Ethics in Financial Services, Data Privacy, Anti-Money Laundering and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," 2010 New York Venture Summit, June 17, 2010
- Moderator, "The Growth of and Challenges for International and Domestic Microfinance," New York State Bar Association International Section's International Microfinance Symposium, New York City, April 20, 2010
- Organizer, "Current Issues for U.S. Corporations Doing Business in Europe and Asia," Duane Morris Seminar, New York City, March 24, 2010
- Co-chair, "Fair Dealing Investment Guidelines on Selling Investment Products to Individual Investors," New York State Bar Association's International Law and Practice Section Fall Meeting, Singapore, October 27, 2009
- Panelist, "International Matters," The Global Financial Crisis 2009: Preparing for the Future, Practising Law Institute seminar, New York City, August 5, 2009
- Co-chair, "Converging Securities Market Regulation and Consolidation of Securities Exchanges," New York State Bar Association's International Law and Practice Section Fall Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden, September 18, 2008
- Speaker, "The Global Subprime Crisis: Issues You Need to Know," Conference, Practising Law Institute event, New York City, July 7, 2008
- Co-chair, "Islamic Finance Law" panel discussion, sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and the New York State Bar Association, May 16, 2008
- Speaker, "International Corporate Practice - Ethical and Legal Considerations" conference, Practising Law Institute event, Penn Club, New York City, January 31, 2008
- "Threshold Issues in Setting Up a Business in the U.S.," Arent Fox Webinar, December 1, 2006