Evan Michailidis practices in the area of litigation, with a focus on complex commercial litigation; domestic and international white-collar criminal defense, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations; class action defense; products liability; and employment litigation. Mr. Michailidis is listed in the 2012-2017 editions of New York Super Lawyers as a Rising Star.
Mr. Michailidis is a 2006 graduate of Emory School of Law and a cum laude graduate of Columbia University.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- White-Collar Defense
- Products Liability Litigation
- Obtained on behalf of a large grocery store chain a settlement the client found favorable in a consolidated FLSA and multi-state Rule 26 class action lawsuit alleging the failure to properly pay overtime.
- Represented a restaurant franchise in the dismissal of collective and class action claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York Labor Law.
- Represented the Kingdom of Denmark in obtaining a dismissal from the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York for a complaint alleging various claims under the New York Penal Code.
- Obtained a dismissal of all claims alleged against the firm’s clients in a contentious and lengthy dispute in New York State Supreme Court, Nassau County relating to the ownership of numerous lucrative dental practices.
- Successfully petitioned the District Court in Washington, D.C. to grant an application for discovery against a U.S. based company pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1782 (U.S. Discovery in Aid of Foreign Proceeding). The order will benefit significant litigations pending in East Africa.
- Successfully vacated the drug related criminal convictions of a pro bono client that were the result of her trafficking, giving the client her best opportunity to avoid deportation and remain in the country with her children.
- Obtained a dismissal for three Malaysian clients, who were sued in New York by plaintiffs seeking to enforce a multimillion-dollar foreign judgement.
- Represented a leading software company in a contentious business litigation in Mexico. Obtained a favorable settlement which allowed the client to restore a multi-million dollar business partnership in the region.
- Represented a restaurant franchise in a contentious wage and hour litigation regarding the 80/20 rule. Through an aggressive litigation strategy, obtained a favorable settlement for a value equivalent to less than 10% of the adversary’s alleged claim.
- Representing a Danish sports apparel company in a voluntary prior disclosure to the Customs and Border Protection.
- Represented a Danish company in two contentious litigations against its U.S. based subsidiary. Obtained a favorable settlement for a value equivalent to less than 5% of the adversary’s alleged claim.
- Representing a global leader in metal packaging in a business dispute relating to product design.
- Obtained a dismissal of claims against a premier exhibition production and distribution business headquartered in Singapore, in civil litigation pending in New York.
- Representing an Eastern European executive subject to foreign extradition proceedings in connection to a U.S. DOJ indictment for alleged trafficking of controlled substances.
- Obtained a dismissal of two appeals against JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in the Supreme Court of New York, Appellate Division-Second Judicial Department, concerning the borrower's standing to bring the appeals.
- Obtained on behalf of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. from the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division-Second Judicial Department, an affirmation of a lower court ruling that property transferred pursuant to a judgment imposing a constructive trust is transferred subject to the existing lien.
- Obtained on behalf of Sagi Genger and TPR Investment Associates, Inc., on behalf of AG Properties Co., a decision and order from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York granting a motion for sanctions against opposing parties and their counsel.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Columbia University, B.A., cum laude, 2001
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Associate, 2011-2014
- Snow Becker Krauss, P.C.
- Associate, 2006-2011
- American Arbitration Association
- Arbitrator, Expedited Panel
Honors and Awards
- Selected as a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2012-2017