Forrest Hansen represents financial institutions and multinational corporations in complex cross-border regulatory investigations and litigation. His practice includes the areas of finance, technology and media, business reorganization, antitrust and professional responsibility. He also is a lecturer of comparative constitutional law at Université Paris Descartes: Faculté de Droit.
Mr. Hansen regularly represents institutions in complex litigations in federal and state court throughout the United States. He also counsels institutions in examinations, investigations and enforcement actions by the United States Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Internal Revenue Service, Federal Trade Commission and state regulatory agencies.
Mr. Hansen previously served as in-house counsel for a global financial institution, leveraging his knowledge of financial processes, procedures and governance to advise senior executives at corporations on legal risk and litigation strategy. He has practiced law in Paris, France, and often represents clients in global and cross-border matters involving Europe, South America and Asia.
Previously Mr. Hansen served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas I. Vanaskie of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. He often speaks on issues concerning professional responsibility, attorney well-being and constitutional law. Mr. Hansen is a member of the Board of Directors of Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge.
Mr. Hansen is a 2007 cum laude graduate of American University, Washington College of Law, where he was on the senior editorial board of the American University Law Review, and a 2003 graduate of Brigham Young University. He is fluent in French and Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- White-Collar Defense/Internal Investigations
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Professional Responsibility
- Antitrust and Anti-Corruption Compliance
- Successfully obtained affirmance in the Florida State Court of Appeal for global financial institution upholding the dismissal of claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a global bank in Pennsylvania federal and state court seeking to enforce a foreign judgment.
- Successfully defended a multinational investment bank and financial services company against fraud and RICO claims related to the securitization of a borrower’s mortgage.
- Obtained a unanimous ruling for a global investment bank from a FINRA arbitration panel granting a motion to dismiss and declaring the churning and suitability claims ineligible for submission to arbitration.
- Represented financial institution in FINRA arbitration related to the settlement of trades of preferred stock and corporate actions.
- Represented financial institution in commercial litigations related to asset backed securities, securities class actions and lender liability actions.
- Successfully defended mortgage loan servicer against class action claims alleging fraud and unfair practices.
- Represented global financial institution before the DOJ and CFTC in connection with investigations related to benchmark interest rates including LIBOR and EURIBOR for possible violations of federal and state antitrust and fraud laws, as well as the Commodities Exchange Act.
- Conducted internal investigation for financial institution related to equity trade orders.
- Represented multinational corporation in the formation of a joint venture following an in-depth investigation of the proposed transaction by the United States Federal Trade Commission. This cross-border matter also received clearance in China, Germany, and South Korea.
- Represented a United States publicly held corporation in an investigation by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Successful defense of federal criminal action against individual charged with obstruction of justice in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; won jury acquittals on both substantive counts.
- Counsel for French multinational corporation in antitrust price-fixing investigation by U.S. and E.U. antitrust authorities.
- Represented major Mexican chemical manufacturer in responding to inquiry by the United States Federal Trade Commission.
- Performed in-person antitrust compliance training for global automobile manufacturer.
- Successfully defended law firm and attorney in federal district court and on appeal against claims of civil conspiracy, RICO, aiding and abetting of fraud, and unfair trade practices.
- Advised law department of multinational corporation on attorney registration and reporting.
- Designed FCPA training program for a law firm.
- Represented financial institution in adversary proceeding brought by creditors seeking to avoid pre-petition payments.
- Represented lender in adversary proceeding brought by committee of unsecured creditors alleging fraudulent transfer of assets.
- Successful representation of applicant under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction following trial in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Provided constitution drafting advice for foreign states, focusing on equal protection, freedom of expression, separation of powers, and the political question doctrine.
Litigation and Arbitration
Investigations and Criminal Defense
Business Reorganization and Bankruptcy
Pro Bono/Community Service
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Editorial Board, American University Law Review
- Brigham Young University, B.A., 2003
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2016-present
- Deutsche Bank AG
- Counsel, 2014-2016
- White & Case LLP
- Attorney, 2009-2013
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Thomas I. Vanaskie, 2007-2009
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Member, Planning Committee
- Université Paris Descartes: Faculté de Droit
- Lecturer in Comparative Constitutional Law, 2019-present
- Property Lecturer, 2013-2018
- American University College of Law
- Legal Ethics Adjunct Professor, 2011
- Co-author, "DOJ Updates Guidance on Corporate Compliance with Focus on Data Analysis and Continuous Monitoring for Effectiveness," Duane Morris Alert, June 22, 2020
- Co-author, "DOJ Makes Clarifying Changes to FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy," Duane Morris Alert, December 2, 2019
- Co-author, "DOJ Criminal Division Issues Comprehensive Guidance on Evaluating Claims of Inability to Pay Criminal Fines or Penalties," Duane Morris Alert, October 14, 2019
Co-author, "In Major Shift, DOJ Antitrust Division Now Credits Compliance Programs at the Charging Stage," Duane Morris Alert, July 31, 2019
Co-author, "DOJ Criminal Division Issues Comprehensive Guidance on Corporate Compliance Programs," Duane Morris Alert, May 17, 2019
- Co-author, "International Trade Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit 2011," 61 Am. U. L. Rev. 4, 2012
- Author, "The Iraqi Constitution: Upholding Principles of Democracy While Struggling to Curtail the Dangers of an Islamic Theocracy," 12 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 256, 2006
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "Non-Party Witness Interviews," Duane Morris Training Program, Philadelphia, PA, December 6, 2019
- Speaker, "Local Legal Ethics Rules And Lawyer Well-Being," Jenkins Law Library, Philadelphia, PA, November 12, 2019
- Speaker, "Current Trends In Legal Ethics 2019," In-House Counsel CLE, New York, NY, October 24, 2019
- Panelist, "Legal Ethics Rules For Practicing Before Government Agencies/The Attorney-Client Privilege," In-House Counsel CLE, Philadelphia, PA, June 20, 2019
- Panelist, "Building A Culture Of Health: Perspectives On Addiction And Recovery Issues Affecting The Legal World," Duane Morris CLE, Philadelphia, PA, April 25, 2019
- Speaker, "Lessons in Legal Ethics For Financial Services Industry Attorneys," In-House Counsel CLE, New York, NY, October 11, 2018
Speaker, "The Persistent Influence of the United States Constitution in the World," Freedoms Foundation At Valley Forge, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, September 28, 2018
- Speaker, "Legal Ethics For Financial Services Industry Attorneys—AML and FCPA Challenges," In-House Counsel CLE, New York, NY, October 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Emerging Trends in AML, Counterterrorism and FCPA," Duane Morris Financial Institutions CLE Series, September 13, 2017
- Panelist, "Lawyer in the Foyer: Ethical Considerations," J. Reuben Clark Law Society Annual Convention, Philadelphia, February 17, 2017
- Speaker, "An In-House Counsel Perspective," Duane Morris Trial Group CLE, Philadelphia, PA, February 10, 2017
- Speaker, "Lessons In Legal Ethics For Financial Services Industry Attorneys," In-House Counsel CLE, New York, NY, October 28, 2016