Forrest Hansen is a litigator who represents financial institutions and multinational corporations in complex regulatory investigations and litigation. Mr. Hansen regularly represents and counsels global financial institutions in examinations, investigations and enforcement actions by the United States Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Internal Revenue Service, Federal Trade Commission and state regulatory agencies.
Mr. Hansen previously served as in-house counsel for a global financial institution and leverages his knowledge of financial processes, procedures and governance to advise senior executives at corporations on legal risk and litigation strategy. Mr. Hansen has practiced law in Paris, France, and often represents clients in global and cross-border matters.
Mr. Hansen also practices in the areas of constitutional law and liberty of conscience, including providing constitution drafting advice to foreign states.
Previously Mr. Hansen served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas I. Vanaskie of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. He currently is a Lecturer at Université Paris Descartes: Faculté de Droit.
Mr. Hansen is a 2007 cum laude graduate of American University, Washington College of Law, where he was on the senior editorial board of the American University Law Review, and a 2003 graduate of Brigham Young University. He is fluent in French and Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- Regulatory Compliance Counseling
- White-Collar Defense Litigation
- Antitrust and Anti-Corruption Litigation
- Represented a multinational investment bank in Pennsylvania federal and state court seeking to enforce a foreign judgment.
- Successfully defended a multinational investment bank and financial services company against fraud and RICO claims related to the securitization of a borrower’s mortgage.
- Represented a multinational investment bank in obtaining a unanimous ruling from a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) arbitration panel, which granted the client’s motion to dismiss and declared that the churning and suitability claims against the client were ineligible for submission to arbitration.
- Represented global financial institution before the DOJ and CFTC in connection with investigations related to benchmark interest rates including LIBOR and EURIBOR for possible violations of federal and state antitrust and fraud laws, as well as the Commodities Exchange Act.
- Conducted internal investigation for financial institution related to equity trade orders.
- Represented financial institution in FINRA arbitration related to the settlement of trades of preferred stock and corporate actions.
- Represented financial institution in commercial litigations related to asset backed securities, securities class actions and lender liability actions.
- Represented multinational corporation in the formation of a joint venture following an in-depth investigation of the proposed transaction by the United States Federal Trade Commission. This cross-border matter also received clearance in China, Germany, and South Korea.
- Represented a United States publically held corporation in an investigation by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Successful defense of federal criminal action against individual charged with obstruction of justice in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; won jury acquittals on both substantive counts.
- Counsel for French multinational corporation in antitrust price-fixing investigation by U.S. and E.U. antitrust authorities.
- Represented major Mexican chemical manufacturer in responding to inquiry by the FTC.
- Performed in-person antitrust compliance training for global automobile manufacturer.
- Designed FCPA training program for a law firm.
- Counseled clients on implementing effective compliance training programs.
- Successful representation of applicant under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction following trial in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Provided constitution drafting advice for foreign states, focusing on equal protection, freedom of expression, separation of powers, and the political question doctrine.
- Lecturer at the Université Paris Descartes: Faculté de Droit.
Financial Institutions Investigations and Litigation
Criminal Defense and Investigations
Antitrust and FCPA Compliance
Pro Bono/Community Service
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Editorial Board, American University Law Review
- Brigham Young University, B.A., 2003
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2016-present
- Deutsche Bank AG
- Counsel, 2014-2016
- White & Case LLP
- Attorney, 2009-2013
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Thomas I. Vanaskie, 2007-2009
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Member, Planning Committee
- Université Paris Descartes: Faculté de Droit
- Property Lecturer, 2013-present
- American University College of Law
- Legal Ethics Adjunct Professor, 2011
- Co-author, "DOJ Criminal Division Issues Comprehensive Guidance on Evaluating Claims of Inability to Pay Criminal Fines or Penalties," Duane Morris Alert, October 14, 2019
Co-author, "In Major Shift, DOJ Antitrust Division Now Credits Compliance Programs at the Charging Stage," Duane Morris Alert, July 31, 2019
Co-author, "DOJ Criminal Division Issues Comprehensive Guidance on Corporate Compliance Programs," Duane Morris Alert, May 17, 2019
- Co-author, "International Trade Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit 2011," 61 Am. U. L. Rev. 4, 2012
- Author, "The Iraqi Constitution: Upholding Principles of Democracy While Struggling to Curtail the Dangers of an Islamic Theocracy," 12 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 256, 2006
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "The Persistent Influence of the United States Constitution in the World," Constitution Concerns: Two Legal Scholars' Views, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, September 28, 2018
- Speaker, "Emerging Trends in AML, Counterterrorism and FCPA," Duane Morris Financial Institutions CLE Series, September 13, 2017
- Panelist, "Lawyer in the Foyer: Ethical Considerations," J. Reuben Clark Law Society Annual Convention, Philadelphia, February 17, 2017