Gregory Chin focuses his practice on representing entrepreneurs and investors in emerging growth industries, including edtech, energy and sustainability, innovative media, legal cannabis and life sciences and digital health, in complex transactional and general corporate matters. Mr. Chin also represents venture capital firms and investment banks that support emerging growth companies. He has represented public and private targets and acquirers in mergers and acquisitions, issuers and investors in venture capital financings, and issuers and underwriters in public and private offerings.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Chin worked in business development and marketing for an emerging growth company in Japan, and wrote a column in Japanese about Silicon Valley news.
Mr. Chin is a 1999 cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and a graduate, with distinction in the major, of Yale College. He is fluent in Japanese.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Yale College, B.A., with distinction in the major, 1993
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2020-present
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky & Popeo PC
- Partner, 2017-2020
- Flatiron Law Group
- Partner, 2016-2017
- Ballantine Valley Media Group
- President, General Counsel and Partner, 2015-2016
- Jones Day
- Partner, 2012-2015
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Partner, 2004-2012
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati PC
- Senior Associate, 1999-2004
- Paltek Corporation
- Business Development, 1994-1996
Honors and Awards
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2019-2021
Listed in The Legal 500 USA, 2014-2015
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013
Civic and Charitable Activities
Jewish Federation Fellowship
- Hillel at Stanford University
- Member and Board of Directors, 2004-2011
- Moldaw Residences (Jewish senior living facility in Palo Alto, California)
- Audit Committee, 2012-2014
- Author, "Key Considerations For CEOs Of Potential SPAC Targets," Chief Executive, February 8, 2021
Co-author, “Regulation FD in the Twitter Age,” The Review of Securities and Commodities Regulation, November 6, 2013
Quoted, “Silver Spring Networks Looks to Tap ‘Smart Grid’” Wall Street Journal, March 10, 2013
Quoted, “Is Washington the New Wall Street for Cleantech,” New York Times, June 22, 2009
Quoted, “Cleantech Squeezed by Drop in Financing,” New York Times, May 3, 2009
Co-author, “Stimulus Potential for Cleantech,” Law360, April 2, 2009
Qupted, “Clean-Tech Venture Financing Plunges,” New York Times, April 1, 2009
Quoted, “If Green Jobs are So Hot, Where are They?” gigaom.com, February 9, 2009
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Investment and Innovations in EdTech in 2020 and Amid COVID-19," Silicon Valley Startup: Idea to IPO, Webinar, July 29, 2020
- Host, "How Your Startup Can Raise Venture Capital in the COVID-19 Era," Silicon Valley Startup: Idea to IPO, Webinar, June 3, 2020
Moderator, “Latest Innovations in A.I. and Health Tech,” Idea-to-IPO, April 17, 2018
Co-creator, “MintzEdge Perspective” podcast series “From the Edge” about startup economy, 2017
Moderator, “Investors and Entrepreneurs: What Makes a Great Deal,” Personalized Medicine World Conference, January 28, 2013
Panelist, “The Legal Minefield: Mergers and Acquisitions in the Cleantech Industry,” University of California, Hastings College of the Law’s Third Annual Cleantech Roundtable, April 13, 2012
Represented a venture-backed networking/software company in its acquisition by a public semiconductor company.
Represented a venture capital firm, a controlling stockholder of a global provider of physical security and secure identification, in the acquisition of its portfolio company by a public company in the sector.
Represented a biopharmaceuticals company in its public-public acquisition.
Represented a genome sequencing company in multiple negotiations of potential public-public strategic transactions.
- Represented several venture-backed biopharmaceuticals companies in their acquisitions by public biopharmaceuticals companies.
Represented a venture-backed open source software company in its acquisition by another venture-backed company in the sector.
- Represented a protein engineering company in its acquisition of a biocatalysis company.
- Represented a biopharmaceuticals company in its initial public offering and in numerous subsequent offerings.
- Represented a genome sequencing company in its initial public offering, a follow-on public offering and an at-the-market offering.
- Represented a protein engineering company in its initial public offering.
- Represented a biopharmaceuticals company in a public offering.
- Represented the book-running managers of the initial public offering of a biopharmaceuticals company.
- Represented the sole book-running manager of a public offering by a biopharmaceuticals company.
- Represented the sole book-running manager of a confidentially marketed public offering by a biopharmaceuticals company.
- Represented a subscription video-on-demand company in its seed financing.
- Represented a company providing software solutions to maintain vehicle and drone fleets in its seed and early-stage financings.
- Represented a company developing tools to create augmented reality content in its seed and early stage financings.
- Represented a genomics company in a recapitalization and venture capital financing.
- Represented an energy storage company in numerous debt financings.
- Represented a network automation software company in a recapitalization and subsequent financings by a number of high net-worth individual investors.
- Represented a venture capital firm in the financing of an ecommerce fulfillment company and in the financing of a digital “challenger bank.”
- Represented a global trading company in its strategic investment in a company using data and artificial intelligence to advance radiology and other medical diagnostics tools.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its seed investments in a microbiome company.
- Represented venture capital firms in a bridge financing of a global provider of physical security and secure identification.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its bridge financing of a cloud communications company.
- Represented a venture capital firm in seed investments in numerous software and consumer technology startups.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its investments in various energy and sustainability-related startups.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its seed financing of an energy demand response company.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its bridge financings of a satellite technology company.