Gregory S. Bombard is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on trade secret litigation, business torts,and other complex commercial disputes. As part of that practice, Greg represents pharmaceutical, manufacturing, and technology companies in state and federal courts and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. Greg has represented plaintiffs and defendants in trade secret cases and related bad-faith litigation counterclaims. Greg is a frequent author and speaker on issues that frequently arise in trade secret litigation, including litigation finance, damage theories, and protective orders.
Greg also has significant experience defending consumer and business claims under the Unfair Trade Practice Acts of Massachusetts (Chapter 93A) and other states. Greg’s clients in unfair trade practice litigation have included banks, mortgage servicers, credit card processors, and other consumer finance companies.
At the Boston Bar Association, Greg is a Co-Chair of the IP Litigation Committee, a member of the Intellectual Property Section Steering Committee, and a member of the Senior Associates’ Forum. Greg is also a board member of the UConn Alumni Association's Advisory Board for Greater Boston and the Greater Boston Food Bank’s young professionals group, the Kitchen Cabinet.
Mr. Bombard is a 2010 cum laude graduate of Boston College Law School and a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Connecticut, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2010
- University of Connecticut, B.A., summa cum laude, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Associate, 2013-2015
- Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas LLP
- Associate, 2011-2013
- Connecticut Superior Court
- Judicial Law Clerk, 2010-2011
Professional and Civic Activities
Boston Bar Association
- Co-chair, Intellectual Property Litigation Committee (2017-present)
- Co-chair, Senior Associates’ Forum Business Development Committee (2018-present)
- Co-chair, Boston Bar Foundation 2018 Summer Soiree Planning Committee
- Co-chair, New Lawyers’ Section Social Events Committee (2016-2017)
- Co-chair, IP Basics Committee (2016-2017)
- Junior Fellow, Boston Bar Foundation (2018-present)
UConn Boston Alumni Association Advisory Committee member (2015-present)
Greater Boston Food Bank Kitchen Cabinet member (2015-present)
Honors and Awards
Massachusetts/New England Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2015-2018
- Trial; Trade Secrets/Noncompetes: Part of the trial team representing Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc. against claims of trade secret misappropriation by a competing pharmaceutical company. Dicerna alleged the lawsuit was brought for the ulterior purpose of interfering with their business and asserted counterclaims for abuse of process, tortious interference, and unfair trade practices. The counterclaims survived three rounds of dispositive motion practice as well as other attempts by our opponent to remove them from the case. The case settled days before trial.
- Trial; Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Represented a national mortgage lender in a two-day trial in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, and won a jury verdict for permanent injunctive relief and money damages. The Court also dismissed the opponent’s counterclaims under the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A).
- Trial; Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Represented national mortgage lender in a two-day bench trial in the Massachusetts Land Court and won a verdict of title to a disputed property and all related attorney’s fees. Our opponent sought title to a disputed property and their attorney’s fees under the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A), but the Court entered judgment in favor of the client on all counts.
- Trial; Commercial Litigation: Lead trial counsel on behalf of a national mortgage servicer in a bench trail. Our client challenged the costs and fees incurred in rehabilitating a condemned property by a court-appointed receiver.
- Trial; Commercial Litigation: Represented a group of emergency room providers in a four-day arbitration in the American Health Lawyers’ Association. Healthcare payor claimed it had overpaid the emergency room providers for services. We won an arbitrator’s award of substantial money damages and a ruling that the insurer’s audit procedure violated New York insurance law
- Trial; Trade Secrets/Noncompetes: Part of a trial team representing the plaintiff in a jury trial in Middlesex Superior Court. The client alleged that several former employees departed to form a competing company, destroyed evidence, and defrauded the court. The court found that the opponents committed fraud on the court and awarded over a million dollars in attorneys fees as a sanction.
- Trial; Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Lead trial counsel in jury trial on behalf of Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae). Defendant alleged he had been the victim of a mortgage relief scam, thereby releasing his obligations to pay his mortgage. Obtained permanent injunctive relief and a significant money judgment in favor of Fannie Mae.
- Trial; Commercial Litigation: Represented a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in a two-day trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts seeking to avoid a transfer of bankruptcy estate’s assets.
- Trial; Employment Discrimination: Represented a Massachusetts municipality in a five-day jury trial in the Massachusetts Superior Court. Plaintiff alleged employment discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Won a jury verdict in favor of our client on all counts.
- Trade Secrets/Noncompetes: Represented a Fortune 100 company in a suit and related arbitration proceedings against its former employees. The company alleged that former employees misappropriated secret investment strategies and breached their non-solicitation agreements in forming a competing company with several key employees.
- Trade Secrets/Noncompetes: Represented a pharmaceutical company executive in negotiating a modification to her noncompete agreement. The noncompete agreement as drafted would have effectively prevented the executive from working in her field. Negotiated a carve-out that allowed her to pursue opportunities with competitors after her departure from the company.
- Trade Secrets/Noncompetes: Represented a manufacturing company in a federal lawsuit against a former employee. The client alleged that the former employee departed to form a competing company, taking with him secret information regarding suppliers, customers, and formulations.
- Commercial Litigation: Lead counsel in title insurance claim on behalf of national mortgage servicer. Title insurer initially disputed coverage, but the matter ultimately settled short of litigation with a payment in the full amount of the policy.
- Commercial Litigation: Represented a developer of medical database solutions in breach of contract suit against software development subcontractor.
- Commercial Litigation/Class Action Litigation: Represented a class of emergency medicine providers in Tennessee against a Managed Care Organization in challenging a reduction in reimbursement rates for emergency room services. Won a report and recommendation in favor of class certification on behalf of a class of emergency medicine providers and defeated defendants’ motion for summary judgment on the underlying merits.
- Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Lead counsel on appeal of the denial of a preliminary injunction to Massachusetts Appeals Court. The Appeals Court affirmed the judgment in favor of our client in all respects, primarily adopting the arguments we advanced in briefing.
- Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Lead counsel in briefing and arguing successful motion for summary judgment on behalf of national mortgage servicer in Massachusetts Superior Court. The mortgage borrower alleged breach of contract and a violation of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A) based on an allegedly dishonored modification of his mortgage loan. The Superior Court granted summary judgment to our client on all counts.
- Consumer/Class Action Litigation: Won a motion to dismiss a class action complaint against the vendor of automobile GAP plans. Plaintiffs alleged a violation of the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act (Chapter 93A) on behalf of a putative class of Massachusetts consumers.
"Fifth Circuit Decision Adds to Growing Body of Case Law on the Scope of Uniform Trade Secrets Act Preemption," Duane Morris Non-compete and Trade Secrets Law Blog, December 13, 2018
Quoted in "Carbonite Sues Former Exec For Allegedly Breaking Noncompete Deal," Boston Business Journal, November 8, 2018
Quoted in "Rail-car Maker Drops Plan to Require Noncompetes, One Month Before New Law Takes Effect," Boston Globe, September 11, 2018
Quoted in "Mass. High Court Curtails Noncompetes for Out-of-State Employees," Boston Business Journal, September 10, 2018
Quoted in "Massachusetts Adopts Uniform Trade Secrets Law," Bloomberg BNA, August 16, 2018
"Distinguishing Employees' 'General Skill or Knowledge' From Protectable Trade Secrets Under Massachusetts Law," Boston Bar Journal, Vol. 62, No. 3, Aug. 15, 2018
Quoted in "Noncompete Reform Comes Alongside New Measure That Could Curb Job-switching," Boston Business Journal, August 2, 2018
"Massachusetts Is Set to Adopt the Uniform Trade Secrets Act...What Now?," Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, August 2, 2018
Co-author, "Massachusetts Legislature Adopts New Requirements for Noncompete Agreements," Duane Morris Alert, August 2, 2018
“Massachusetts Court Rules California Law Supersedes Massachusetts Choice-of-Law Provision and Non-Compete Clause in Employment Contract,” Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, July 7, 2017
“White House Recommends Non-Compete Reforms,” Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, November 3, 2016
- Quoted in "Time Expires on Right to Enforce Loan Guaranty," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, September 1, 2016
“The Long Smoldering Debate About Noncompetition Reform in Massachusetts Is Re-Ignited by House Speaker,” Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, March 4, 2016
- "State Mortgage-Servicing case Law Takes a Consumer Protection Turn, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, February 22, 2016
- Co-author, "Employee's Unauthorized, Wholesale Copying of Company Data Ruled Insufficient to Terminate Employee for Cause," Duane Morris Alert, February 8, 2016
- Author, "Three Key Distinctions Between the Uniform Trade Secrets Act and the Common Law," Commercial & Business Litigation Vol. 17, No.2, Winter 2016
- Co-author, "Consider Making a New Year's Resolution to Protect Your Company's Confidential Information," Duane Morris Alert, December 22, 2015
“New Sixth Circuit Decision on Uniform Trade Secrets Act Underscores Importance of Proving Lost Profits In Trade Secrets Cases,” Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, December 7, 2015
“New Sixth Circuit Case Imposes Liability For Theft Of Confidential Information That Does Not Qualify For Trade Secrets Protection,” Duane Morris Noncompetes and Trade Secret Law Blog, December 7, 2015
- "Massachusetts Mortgage Law Continued to Evolve in '14," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, January 22, 2015
Selected Speaking Engagements
Panelist, "Practical and Legal Steps For Companies To Guard Against Insider Trade Secret Misappropriation," Suffolk Law Review Symposium on the Internet of Things, October 4, 2018
Panelist, " Trade Secret Protection and Litigation in Massachusetts after the Adoption of the UTSA," Boston Bar Association, September 27, 2018
Moderator, “What to Expect From Intellectual Property Cases Before SCOTUS This Term,” Boston Bar Association, June 19, 2018
- Moderator, "Patent Venue After TC Heartland: What We've Learned So Far," Boston Bar Association, September 27, 2017
- Moderator, "Litigation Financing: The Pros and Cons, and How To Avoid Ethical Pitfalls," Boston Bar Association, December 5, 2016
- Speaker, "Negotiating and Enforcing Protective Orders in Trade Secret Cases," Boston Bar Association, June 9, 2016
- Speaker, "2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure," Boston Bar Association, Boston, December 7, 2015