Hari Kumar is a litigation attorney with a focus on insurance coverage and commercial liability matters throughout Washington State, California, and Oregon. He also works with the firm’s employment labor group by representing clients in their Washington and Oregon matters. Mr. Kumar also co-authored the “Procedural Issues in Class Actions,” chapter in the 2023 Duane Morris Class Action Review.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Mr. Kumar represented insurers in insurance coverage disputes and insurance bad faith cases in both State and federal courts throughout the United States. He also represented private clients, including Fortune 500 companies in general liability matters across the country.
After completing law school Mr. Kumar worked as a Post Graduate Legal Fellow at the California Department of Justice, Health, Education, and Welfare division and also clerked for the Sacramento County Public Defender’s office.
Mr. Kumar is a 2017 graduate of the University of California, Davis, School of Law. During law school Mr. Kumar clerked for Justice William Murray of the California Third District Court of Appeal. He also served as the Senior Articles Editor for the UC Davis School of Law’s Journal of International Law and Policy. Additionally, Hari was a member of the UC Davis Trial Practice Honors Board and competed in a number of mock trial and moot court competitions.
Mr. Kumar holds a MSc in Modern South Asian Studies from the University of Oxford and completed a B.A. (Hons) at the University of St. Andrews in International Relations and Business Management. During his time at the University of St. Andrews Mr. Kumar was an active member of the St. Andrew’s Union Debating Society.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Senior Articles Editor, Journal of International Law and Policy
- University of Oxford, M.S., 2014
- University of St. Andrews, B.A. (Hons), 2011
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2021-present
- Selman Breitman LLP
- Associate, 2019-2021
- DKM Law Group LLP
- Associate, 2018-2019
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Fellow, 2023 Washington Leadership Institute
- Fellow, 2022 Western District of Washington Litigation Academy
- Committee Member, South Asian Bar Association of Washington, 2019-present
Honors and Awards
- 2023 Fellow of the Washington Leadership Institute
- 2022 Fellow of the Western District of Washington’s Litigation Academy
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "West Coast States Legal Update," Duane Morris Institute (DMi), Webinar, March 14, 2023