Jeffrey J. Anhalt primarily provides advice and litigates insurance coverage issues arising under professional and general liability policies. He also provides advice on insurance claims management and contractual indemnity to insurers and policy holders. Mr. Anhalt has extensive experience with coverage matters involving architects and engineers, contractors, public entities, health care providers and a wide variety of insured entities and types of policies.
Pre-Lawyer Experience: Prior to his legal career, Mr. Anhalt was a claims manager for a property and casualty insurance company where he had policy limit authority over a diverse book of professional, general liability, and first-party property exposures. In that position, he mediated and arbitrated hundreds of cases; successfully testified as the insurer representative in a three-week no-liability bad-faith jury trial against the company; oversaw a nationwide network of defense counsel handling high-profile litigation, performed outside claim audits; managed a team of in-house adjusters; and was routinely consulted by underwriters regarding policy language drafting.
Education: Mr. Anhalt graduated from Golden Gate University School of Law in 2001 in the top 2 percent of his class and has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from the University of San Francisco. He was honored as the Outstanding Visiting Advocate at the University of San Francisco School of Law's Intensive Trial Advocacy Program in 2001 and earned AmJur and Witkin awards for top academic performance in Torts, Contracts, Property, Employment Law, Criminal Law, and Wills and Trusts.
- Represents insurers in all aspects of insurance coverage, including the assessment of coverage, negotiation of coverage disputes, litigation of declaratory judgment actions, and bad faith litigation. Advises clients on claims handling and insurance coverage issues that arise under general liability, professional liability, umbrella and excess policies, including numerous contractual indemnity, additional insured, contribution and subrogation, and long-tail pollution liability issues.
- Represents public entities in contract drafting, negotiation, and insurance advice.
- Successful resolution of complex environmental pollution coverage matter involving perchlorate-contaminated water.
- Successfully represented a client in a contentious multimillion-dollar residential view easement dispute.
- Represented businesses and individuals in a wide range of property damage and personal injury matters, involving complex construction litigation, products liability, and catastrophic injuries. Cases with favorable settlements include: construction defect litigation against a paver and grader for a large San Jose housing development; personal injury litigation against a sewer contractor for a worker falling into an open manhole; and products liability litigation against a seller of a drain cleaner alleged to have created a toxic cloud at a restaurant which resulted in a workers' compensation lien in excess of $500,000.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., with highest honors
- University of San Francisco, B.A.
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2007-present
- Associate, 2006-2007
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP (Merged with Duane Morris)
- Associate, 2004-2005
- Bradley, Curley, Asiano, Barrabee & Crawford PC
- Associate, 2002-2003
- Rudloff, Wood & Barrows LLP
- Associate, 2002
- Bar Association of San Francisco, including extensive pro bono work with the Volunteer Legal Services Program, where he received the Outstanding Volunteer Award in 2007, and again in 2008, for his work representing low-income tenants on the verge of eviction in mandatory pre-trial settlement conferences.
- American Bar Association
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "E-Discovery," presentation to County Counsels Association Spring Meeting, Land Use Section, Palm Springs, May 2010
- "Transferring Risk: How to Stay Ahead of the Shell Game," presentation to County of Monterey County Counsel, March 2009
- "Careers in Insurance Law," Golden Gate University School of Law, 2008
- Multiple Presentations to Golden Gate law students on "Navigating Law School," 2006 to 2008