Jennifer Briggs Fisher (“Jen”) is an experienced litigator and focuses her practice on representing businesses and corporate executives in highly-regulated industries. She provides advice on regulatory and compliance issues and has represented corporations and individuals involved in a broad range of complex and high stakes civil, criminal, legislative, and administrative proceedings.
Jen has experience working with clients to successfully resolve both criminal and civil matters, including those involving software implementation, RICO, trade secrets, antitrust offenses, tax liability, environmental violations, health care regulations, government contracts and false claims, homeland security and customs enforcement, and food and drug regulations. Jen is recognized as one of Northern California’s Super Lawyers in the area of white-collar criminal defense.
Jen’s background in handling complex matters for companies in highly-regulated markets led to the development of her cannabis practice. Jen regularly works with cannabis companies and ancillary businesses in California to provide compliance advice and solve business problems. She is active in the firm’s multidisciplinary cannabis practice, which is comprised of lawyers across the country who are familiar with the industry and have expertise in numerous areas of the law.
Jen has been recognized for outstanding pro bono service by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California and the Bar Association of San Francisco Volunteer Legal Services Program. Her pro bono practice includes representation of indigent defendants in litigation, advocating for federal prisoners petitioning for clemency, and serving as co-counsel for the Innocence Project as amicus curiae in cases challenging wrongful convictions.
Before becoming a lawyer, Jen was involved in politics and legislative policy-making at the federal level. She worked on Capitol Hill for Congressman Adam Schiff as a Legislative Assistant and was the Deputy Finance Director for Congressman Schiff's first campaign for Congress in 2000. While in Washington, D.C., Jen also worked in the office of Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher.
Ms. Fisher is a graduate of Boston College Law School and a magna cum laude graduate of Boston College. During law school, Ms. Fisher studied at King's College London and worked for a British law reform and human rights organization.
- Counsel to technology company in false claims litigation involving alleged government contracting abuses
- Counsel to a nursing and rehabilitation center in a qui tam action brought under the civil False Claims Act ("FCA").
- Counsel to individual in civil RICO litigation involving allegations of a wine theft conspiracy in Napa, California.
- Counsel to president of publicly-held company in investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding allegations of overbilling and fraud in federally funded program
- Counsel to foreign executives of a U.S. corporation in U.S. Department of Justice investigation regarding overseas payments implicating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA")
- Counsel to officer of major Chinese corporation in U.S. Department of Justice investigation regarding violations of the Economic Espionage Act
- Counsel to international corporations in U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division investigation and parallel multi-district civil litigation regarding alleged price-fixing in liquid crystal display (LCD) market
- Counsel to executive in investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division regarding alleged price-fixing and market manipulation in the international optical-disk drive market
- Counsel to a real estate investor in a criminal bid-rigging investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division of the foreclosure auction markets
- Counsel to executive in investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice regarding failure to report income
- Counsel to senior manager of customs brokerage firm in a criminal customs fraud investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Counsel to national construction firm in investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Environmental Protection Agency regarding alleged Clean Water Act violations
- Counsel to numerous employees at biotechnology company in investigation of Food & Drug Act violations by the U.S. Department of Justice and parallel False Claims Act case
- Counsel to employees and executives at agricultural producer in investigation of Food & Drug Act violations by the U.S. Department of Justice
- Counsel to victim of extortion in restitution proceedings under the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act
- Counsel to software company in lawsuit by California Office of the State Controller concerning the failed implementation of software
- Counsel to U.S. subsidiary of international corporation in civil RICO litigation brought by municipality. County of Marin v. Deloitte Consulting LLP, 836 F.Supp.2d 1030 (N.D. Cal. 2011)
- Counsel to digital rights management company in fraud litigation brought by international corporation. Micromedia B.V. v. ByteShield, Inc., 2011 WL 5573345 (N.D. Cal. 2011)
- Counsel to world's largest air cargo developer in lawsuit against the City and County of San Francisco arising from planned quarter-billion dollar air cargo facility at SFO, resulting in a unanimous jury verdict
- Counsel to pro bono client through the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights “Second Chances Clinic” in expungement proceedings, resulting in an order granting a motion to dismiss the conviction.
- Counsel to a software company on regulatory and compliance issues related to providing software and payment processing services to cannabis licensing agencies and state and local governments.
- Counsel to a Canadian venture capital firm regarding cannabis investments in the United States and compliance with state regulations related to banking and financial services.
- Counsel to a cannabis manufacturer on intellectual property issues, state regulatory compliance and banking.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2005
- Boston College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1999
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2015-present
- Associate, 2006-2014
- Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Associate, 2005
- American Bar Association
- Steering Committee Member - ABA White Collar Crime Young Lawyers Committee
- Women's White Collar Defense Association
- State Bar of California
Bar Association of San Francisco
- Cannabis Law Committee
Honors and Awards
Listed in Super Lawyers Northern California, 2018
- Listed in Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Stars, 2013-2016
Contributor, Duane Morris Cannabis Industry Blog
Co-author, "California Releases Emergency Cannabis Regulations," Cannabis Industry Blog, November 18, 2017
- Co-author, "Dodd-Frank Act Update: SEC Proposes Rules Applicable to Investment Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, December 6, 2010
- Co-author, "U.S. Financial Reform: Registration of Advisors to Private Investment Funds and Pools, and of Small Advisory Firms," Duane Morris Alert, August 24, 2010
- Co-author, "E-Discovery's Foreign Intrigue," San Francisco Daily Journal, March 24, 2009
Selected Speaking Engagements
Moderator, “Cannabis 107: The U.S. and Canadian Cannabis Markets: 2018 Mid-Year Review,” Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, July 24, 2018
Speaker, "How to Get Your Cannabis Business Permit in San Francisco," Bay Area Women Grow Signature Networking Event, Duane Morris LLP, San Francisco, March 8, 2018
Presenter, "Cannabis 101: Update on the Federal Enforcement & State Regulatory Environment," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, January 29, 2018 (video replay)
- Speaker, "Proper Litigation Hold Process," ESI Roundtable Half-Day Workshop, Duane Morris, San Francisco, October 27, 2016
- Panelist, Associate Business Development, Duane Morris Annual Retreat, Boca Raton, Florida, October 2014
- Panelist, White Collar Criminal Law Practice, Duane Morris Annual Retreat, Boca Raton, Florida, October 2012
- Speaker, "Internal Investigations: A Step-by-Step Approach," Duane Morris, San Francisco, July 18, 2012