Joanna B. Lardin practices in the area of wealth and estate planning, probate, and taxation. Ms. Lardin advises high net worth clients with respect to the design and implementation of tax minimizing and wealth transfer planning strategies, addressing U.S. income and transfer taxes, domestic and international estate planning, tax compliance, asset protection and business succession planning. She also advises fiduciaries and individuals regarding the tax treatment and reporting obligations of foreign trusts with assets or beneficiaries located in the U.S. Additionally, Ms. Lardin advises personal representatives/executors and trustees on complex estate and trust administration and postmortem planning.
Her practice includes preparation of wills, revocable trusts and irrevocable trusts, marital agreements, sophisticated trusts, such as dynasty trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts (IDGTs), beneficiary defective irrevocable trusts (BDITs), irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs) and related split-dollar agreements, grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), first-party and third-party supplemental needs trusts (SNTs), spousal lifetime access trusts (SLATs), domestic and offshore asset protection trusts, charitable remainder trusts (CRTs) and foundations including charitable income tax planning, and family limited liability companies and limited partnerships (FLLCs and FLPs). Her practice also includes trust administration matters, modifying trusts, structuring new trusts, decanting, and transferring situs of existing trusts.
Prior to joining Duane Morris, Ms. Lardin served as Judicial Staff Attorney for the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit of Florida. As Staff Attorney, she assisted the court in estate, trust, and guardianship matters. After serving as Staff Attorney, Ms. Lardin took on the role of Trust Officer at a national trust company, providing fiduciary oversight for high net worth clients. Ms. Lardin is a graduate from Boston University School of Law, where she earned her LL.M. in Taxation, and the University of Florida Levin College of Law. She also graduated with a degree in Finance from the University of Florida. Ms. Lardin was named “Rising Star” in Super Lawyers Rising Star for 2015, and was admitted to the Florida Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Class II.
- Represented the principals of YouVisit, LLC, a company that has created virtual tours of campuses for more than 600 educational institutions, in their personal income and estate tax planning. YouVisit, LLC was subsequently sold to EAB, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners that provides research, enterprise technology, and data-enabled services for education institutions.
Areas of Practice
- Wealth and Estate Planning
- Trust and Estates
- U.S. Tax Court
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2013
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A., Finance, 2003
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2016-present
- Carlton Fields Jorden Burt P.A.
- Associate, 2016
- Posternak Blankstein & Lund
- Associate, 2015
- Cushing and Dolan
- Associate, 2013-2015
- Merrill Lynch Trust Company
- Assistant Vice President, Trust Officer II, 2011-2012
- 17th Judicial Circuit
- Judicial Staff Attorney, Probate Division, 2006-2011
- Simon Sigalos & Spyredes
- Associate, 2006
Honors and Awards
- Named to Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch," 2021
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, "Guardianship-Proofing Your Client's Revocable Trust Plans," Suntrust Roundtable, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, March 17, 2016
- Presenter, Court-Appointed Examining Committee Training, Examining Committee Educational Course, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, April 16, 2010
- Presenter, "Reducing Time Between Filing and the Judge's Signature," Continuing Legal Education Course, Bench Bar Convention, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, October 16, 2009