Joseph F. Caputi practices in the area of litigation and gaming law. Mr. Caputi has represented gaming industry clients in licensing and regulatory matters, including online gaming and sports betting clients. He contributes regularly to the Duane Morris LLP Gaming Blog.
Admitted to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, Mr. Caputi is a 2019 cum laude graduate of Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, where he was managing editor of operations for the Villanova Law Review, and a cum laude graduate of Xavier University.
- New Jersey
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D., 2019
- Managing Editor of Operations, Villanova Law Review
- Xavier University, B.A., cum laude, 2016
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2019-present
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Casino Law Section, Secretary
- Contributor, Duane Morris Gaming Law Blog
- Co-author, "First Circuit Holds Wire Act Applies Only to Interstate Wire Communications Related to Sporting Events or Contests," Duane Morris Alert, January 21, 2021
- Co-author, "Gaming in the United States: Massachusetts," Thomson Reuters Practical Law: Gaming Global Guide, 2020
- Co-author, "Small Business Administration Updates Interim Regulatory Guidelines to Greatly Expand Accessibility of Paycheck Protection Program Loans to Gaming Businesses," Duane Morris Alert, April 24, 2020
- Co-author, "Pennsylvania Governor Announces Three-Phase System for Reopening the Commonwealth," Duane Morris Alert, April 23, 2020
- Co-author, "Governor Returns Virginia Gambling Legislation with Amendments, Including Tax for COVID-19 Fund," Duane Morris Alert, April 17, 2020
- Co-author, "Small Business Administration Updates Interim Regulatory Guidelines to Help Certain Gaming Companies," Duane Morris Alert, April 15, 2020
- Co-author, "Interim Regulatory Guidelines Preclude Gaming Businesses from Receiving Support Under the CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program," Duane Morris Alert, April 3, 2020
- Co-author, "Massachusetts Sports Wagering Bill Expected to Be Approved by July," Duane Morris Alert, April 1, 2020
- Co-author, "New Jersey Economic Development Authority Announces $5,000 Grants for Small Businesses, $100,000 No Interest Loans for Mid-Size Businesses," Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2020
- Co-author, "Virginia General Assembly Passes Expansive Gambling Legislation," Duane Morris Alert, March 17, 2020
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Rapid Expansion Roundtable," Betting on Sports America, Sports Betting Community, Webinar, December 2, 2020
Represented Inspired Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ: INSE), a gaming technology company, in a matter of first impression before the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board in securing a licensing waiver for a significant private equity fund shareholder.
Represented Comcast-owned NBCUniversal, in a multiyear partnership with Australia-based PointsBet, a rapidly expanding sports betting company that entered the US market last year, that allows NBCUniversal to unlock its significant sports-related media assets to help drive sophisticated sports bettors to a new and growing entrant to the US sports wagering market.
Represent Service Experts LLC in ongoing efforts advising and counseling regarding its “Advantage” lease program for HVAC systems, boilers, water heaters and softeners, and other home devices for compliance with federal statutes including the Truth in Lending Act, Consumer Leasing Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and related federal regulations, along with disclosure and notice requirements state laws.
Represented a multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate on gaming regulatory matters in connection with its ownership interest in DraftKings, Inc.