Joseph J. Pangaro helps clients resolve complex commercial litigation disputes. He has experience in trial and appellate litigation in both state and federal courts. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes cases involving a wide range of issues, including antitrust, class actions, construction, and breach of contract disputes.
After law school and before joining Duane Morris, Mr. Pangaro worked in the transportation industry as a logistics and supply chain analyst for several third-party logistics providers. Due to his professional experience, Mr. Pangaro possesses unique insight into the logistics industry, and the complex world of ocean, air, and ground transportation that allows him to anticipate issues, assess litigation risk, and develop practical solutions.
Mr. Pangaro is also a member of the firm’s cannabis practice group. He has worked on cannabis-related legal issues including intellectual property disputes and the limitations on a state’s authority to disrupt interstate transportation of federally lawful hemp. Mr. Pangaro has also provided regulatory and compliance guidance to companies throughout the country with respect to the laws, regulations, and governmental guidance regarding hemp, medical marijuana, and adult-use marijuana.
Mr. Pangaro is a member of the firm’s commercial, securities and antitrust litigation division, is certified to represent veterans before the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and is an enthusiastic participant in Duane Morris’s pro bono program. He is also a member of the Maritime Lawyers Association.
Mr. Pangaro is a 2016 magna cum laude graduate of Temple University Beasley School of Law, where he was an editor for the Temple Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a 2008 cum laude graduate of Saint Joseph’s University. He is also an avid supporter of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2016
-Robert E. Lamberton Award for Constitutional Law
-2014-2015 Samuel E. Klein Scholar for Excellence in Constitutional Law
-Note/Comment Editor, Temple Law Review
-Order of the Coif
- St. Joseph's University, B.A., cum laude, 2008
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2016-present
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation
Germantown Face to Face, Board Observer (2016)
Transportation Lawyers Association
- Counsel to class of approximately 48,000 doctors in a nationwide antitrust class action alleging that their Trade Association's conditioning of professional certification on the purchase of membership in the Association constituted unlawful tying in violation of the antitrust laws.
- Counsel to investors of acquired pharmaceutical company seeking in excess of $200 million in damages related to acquiring company’s failure to pay milestone payments in violation of the parties’ merger agreement in case pending before the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Counsel, at both trial and appellate level, to a statewide class of emergency room physicians in Tennessee asserting class action claims against a health insurance company arising out of improper reimbursement for so-called “non-emergency” services.
- Counsel, at both trial and appellate level, to a construction company asserting breach of contract claims against a subcontractor.
- Represent THC and CBD vaping and infused product manufacturer in first ever federal trademark infringement action involving federal trademark rights in smoking related products, including vaping devices and hemp oil.
- Represent a national cannabis trade association as amicus curiae in a Ninth Circuit appeal regarding the interstate transportation of federally lawful hemp.
- Provide regulatory advice to a company in the tobacco industry in connection with its expansion into the hemp-derived CBD vaping category.
- Provide state-specific regulatory advice to a global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution capabilities that stretch across five continents.
- Provide regulatory advice to an internet advertising network in connection with advertising cannabis-related products using its health market online advertising services.
- Provide cannabis-related regulatory advice to a private credit asset management firm in connection with a potential investment in a publicly traded company that provides products and services to businesses in the cannabis industry.
- Seconded with a 700+ employee company offering technology solutions, professional services, and business process outsourcing for national and regional banks, large credit unions, captive banks, start-ups, and sub-servicers within the auto, mortgage, and consumer lending space. Counseled on issues including contract negotiations and drafting, corporate policy updates, and employment issues.
Commercial and Complex Litigation
Author, "Transportation Law Shows How the Supreme Court's Newest Justice May Vote on the Most Significant Legal Issue His Court Will Ever Address," The Transportation Lawyer, 2019
Co-author, "The Iran Sanctions Are Coming for Your Supply Chain," Industry Week, October 19, 2018
Co-author, “Renewed Sanctions Against Iran Require Supply Chain Care,” Supply & Demand Chain Executive, September 2018
Author, "My Bill of Lading Does What?" American Shipper, May 29, 2018
Author, "Fifth Circuit Announces New Test to Determine if Certain Contracts for Services on Navigable Waters Are Maritime," Duane Morris Appellate Review Blog, May 14, 2018
Author, "Getting the Most Out of Foreign Trade Zones," Inbound Logistics, April 13, 2018
Co-author, "Contracting Against Supply Chain Chaos," American Shipper, January 5, 2018
Co-author, “The Future of Administrative Deference in Pennsylvania,” Duane Morris Appellate Review Blog, May 19, 2017
Co-author, "New Texas Law Advances Hemp Production and Regulation," Duane Morris Alert, June 12, 2019
Co-author, "USDA Provides Memo Clarifying Key Provisions of 2018 Farm Bill Regarding Hemp," Duane Morris Alert, May 30, 2019
Co-author, "A Green Light for the Sunshine State - Florida Legislature Approves Sweeping Changes to Hemp, CBD Regulation," Duane Morris Alert, May 7, 2019
Selected Speaking Engagements
Presenter, “Federal and State Cannabis Law: Risks and Variances,” Philadelphia Insurance Society NextGen Symposium, June 21, 2019
Presenter, "Cannabis 201: CBD and Hemp Regulatory Update," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, May 7, 2019