Mr. Stern is a 2018 summa cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, where he was online editor of the University of Miami Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a magna cum laude graduate of Columbia University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Regulatory counsel to an aromatherapy and essential oils products manufacturer in relation to the company’s entry into the hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) market.
- Regulatory counsel to underwriter in connection with an At the Market (ATM) offering by a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on the development of innovative cancer treatments.
- Provide state-specific medical and adult use marijuana regulatory advice to vertically integrated licensee.
- Counsel to multi-state vertically integrated marijuana operator in connection with facility licensing matters.
- Provided state-specific regulatory advice on the cultivation, manufacture, and sale of CBD products to publicly traded international cannabinoid company.
- Advised a private credit asset management firm on cannabis-related regulatory matters in connection with its provision of a revolving credit facility to support the capital needs of a publicly traded supplier to businesses in the cannabis industry.
- Counsel to publicly traded transportation and logistics conglomerate in civil litigation involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained full dismissal of breach of contract and civil trespass claims brought against a publicly traded telecommunications service provider arising from the alleged misplacement of certain underground fiber optic cables.
Cannabis and Regulatory
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2018
- Order of the Coif
- Online Editor, University of Miami Law Review
- Columbia University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2014
- Phi Beta Kappa
Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2018-present
Federal Bar Association, 2019-present
- Co-author, "Why Reformers Want Disclosure Of 3rd-Party MDL Funding," Law360, January 13, 2020
- Co-author, "Federal Minimum Age for Purchase of Tobacco Products Including E-Cigarettes Raised from 18 to 21," Duane Morris Alert, December 24, 2019
- Co-author, "With a Flurry of Warning Letters and a Consumer Update, FDA Signals Commitment to CBD Enforcement Policy," Duane Morris Alert, December 2, 2019
- Co-author, "FDA's Bark May Be Worse Than Its Bite: Revised Guidance Permits Certain Compounding of Animal Drugs from Bulk Drug Substances," Duane Morris Alert, November 25, 2019
- Co-author, "U.S. Senators Urge Changes to Testing Requirements Under USDA Interim Final Rule for Hemp Program," Duane Morris Alert, November 22, 2019
- Co-author, "In a Regulatory "One-Two," FDA Modifies Terms of Oversight Concerning Homeopathic Drugs," Duane Morris Alert, October 31, 2019
- Co-author, "USDA Releases Long-Awaited Federal Rules on Hemp Production, but State-by-State Regulatory Differences Remain," Duane Morris Alert, October 30, 2019
- Co-author, "In Cannabis Case, Tax Court Dissent Concludes Section 280E Is Unconstitutional," Duane Morris Alert, October 24, 2019
- Co-author, "Federal Agencies Issue Draft Guidance for Drug Master Files for First Time in 30 Years," Duane Morris Alert, October 22, 2019
- Co-author, "Discovery Ruling in District of Minnesota May Have Far-Reaching Implications for FCA Defendants," Duane Morris Alert, October 8, 2019
Contributor, Duane Morris Cannabis Industry Blog
- Co-author, "THC Vaping Health Issues Warrant Safety Standards," Law360, September 25, 2019
Co-author, "FTC Warning Letters and Reports of Vaping-Related Illnesses Hit Cannabis Industry," Duane Morris Alert, September 11, 2019
Co-author, "Much of Oklahoma's $572 Million Opioid Case Likely to Be Replicated Elsewhere, But Unique Cause of Action May Not," Duane Morris Alert, August 28, 2019
Co-author, "OTC Personal Products Manufacturer Cited by FDA for Various Regulatory Violations," Duane Morris Alert, August 27, 2019
Co-author, "Florida’s Budding Cannabis Industry Expands With New Hemp Law," Daily Business Review, July 1, 2019
Co-author, "New Texas Law Advances Hemp Production and Regulation," Duane Morris Alert, June 12, 2019
Co-author, "USDA Provides Memo Clarifying Key Provisions of 2018 Farm Bill Regarding Hemp," Duane Morris Alert, May 30, 2019
Co-author, "A Green Light for the Sunshine State - Florida Legislature Approves Sweeping Changes to Hemp, CBD Regulation," Duane Morris Alert, May 7, 2019
Co-author, “International E-Discovery: How The 11th Circuit’s Interpretation of ‘Possession, Custody, or Control’ May Impact Multinational Corporations,” The Florida Bar Journal, January/February 2019
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "Risks Associated With Cannabis Banking," South Florida Compliance Association, February 11, 2020
- Speaker, "Cannabis Issues in Commercial Real Estate," 6th Annual NAI Florida & Caribbean Conference, Intercontinental Miami, Miami, Florida, November 14-15, 2019
- Speaker, "Overview of New Federal Rules on Hemp Production and Q&A," Duane Morris and American Trade Association for Cannabis and Hemp, Webinar, November 6, 2019
Presenter, "Cannabis 204: The Roundup of State Cannabis Legislation," Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, August 20, 2019
Presenter, "Possession, Custody, or Control Under Fed. R. Civ. P. 34: Implications of Interpretation," Miami, FL, April 12, 2019