Justus L. Getty practices intellectual property law with a focus on the acquisition, enforcement and licensing of patents. As a former nuclear engineer with the U.S. Navy, Justus is engaged in a range of intellectual property issues impacting the energy industry, particularly in renewable energy and other green technologies. Justus founded and is a frequent contributor to the Duane Morris Green IP Blog, which explores legal issues at the intersection of energy and intellectual property.
As a registered patent attorney, Justus counsels and represents clients in the acquisition of U.S. and foreign patent rights in diverse technologies such as turbine engines, solar cells, fuel cells, telecommunications, semiconductor design and manufacturing, financial transactions, data encryption, thin film deposition, retail and consumer products, and medical devices. He has supported litigation matters in a variety of U.S. District Courts by providing technical and legal analysis, managing discovery, working closely with expert witnesses, preparing depositions, and conducting motions practice.
Justus has additionally been engaged in numerous post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He serves as the training coordinator for the firm’s PTAB practice group, and is an active contributor to the Duane Morris PTAB Practice Blog.
Justus also conducts due diligence reviews of patents and trademarks, performs patent and trademark searches, prepares non-infringement and invalidity opinions, and drafts and evaluates intellectual property licenses.
Justus is active in the startup community and co-teaches “Intellectual Property for Startups” as an adjunct professor at Georgetown Law. He frequently provides training at startup accelerators and early stage companies on the basics of IP protection.
Justus maintains an active pro bono practice in the field of veterans law, and is accredited to represent clients before the Department of Veterans Affairs. He has represented and advised numerous veterans regarding disability benefits, discharge upgrades, and other VA proceedings.
Prior to his legal career, Justus served as a nuclear engineer in the U.S. Navy, where he deployed in support of counter-narcotic operations aboard USS Rentz and diplomacy operations aboard USS Nimitz. He later served as a policy analyst on Navy staff in Washington, D.C.
- Network Managing Solutions, LLC v. AT&T Inc. (D. Del.). Represented defendant AT&T in a four patent lawsuit involving network management and security technology.
- ReefEdge Networks, LLC v. Cisco Systems, Inc., et al., (D. Del); ReefEdge Networks, LLC v. Meraki, Inc. (D. Del); and ReefEdge Networks, LLC v. Aruba Networks, Inc. (D. Del). Assisted in the representation of Cisco, Meraki and Aruba defendants. The three patents-in-suit held by ReefEdge concerned technology for seamless user mobility in wireless networking environments.
- SSL Services LLC v. Cisco Systems, Inc. (E.D. Tex.). Assisted in the representation of Cisco in an infringement suit involving a virtual private networking patent.
- ConforMIS, Inc., v. Wright Medical Technology, Inc. (D. Mass.). Assisted in the representation of defendant Wright Medical against alleged infringement of four patents directed to personalized surgical tools and procedures.
- Inter Partes Review Nos. 2020-00016, 2020-00017. Served as back-up counsel to Petitioner Cisco Systems in challenging patents directed to network routing technology.
- Inter Partes Review No. 2019-00995. Served as back-up counsel to Petitioner AFD Petroleum in challenging a wellsite refueling patent.
- Inter Partes Review No. 2017-01265. Supported representation of Petitioner Marker Volkl USA in successfully challenging a patent directed to ski bindings.
- Inter Partes Review No. 2015-00528. Served as back-up counsel to patent owner Rolls-Royce plc in defending a patent directed to composite vane structures in a gas turbine engine.
- Inter Partes Reviews Nos. 2014-00815, 2014-01077 and 2014-01191. Assisted with representation of Petitioners Arris Group, Inc. and Tellabs, Inc. in IPRs of three patents regarding optical waveguides and filters. Obtained institution on all challenged claims. In one IPR, obtained early judgment in favor of petitioner. Obtained favorable final written decisions in the other two IPRs.
- Inter Partes Reviews Nos. 2016-00198 and 2016-00241. Assisted with representation of petitioner and patent owner PeroxyChem LLC in validity challenges to two soil remediation patents.
- Prosecutes in the area of gas turbine engines and fuel cells for one of the world's premier aero-engine design and manufacturing companies.
- Prosecuted an international portfolio of over 45 patents and patent applications for a manufacturing and design firm specializing in retail systems.
- Prosecuted in the area of integrated circuits on behalf of one of the world's largest independent semiconductor foundries.
- Prosecuted in the area of financial services on behalf of a major U.S. financial institution.
- Manages a substantial trademark portfolio for one of the world’s premier aero-engine design and manufacturing companies.
- Developed an international portfolio of trademark registrations and applications for a manufacturing and design firm specializing in retail systems.
- Prosecutes U.S. trademark applications based on foreign registrations for a foreign-based start-up company.
- Pass & Seymour, Inc. v. Lutron Electronics Co. Inc. (Opposition Nos. 91/208,865; 91/212,524; 91/212,529). Assisted in representing Lutron Electronics in defending three trade dress registrations for light dimmer switches.
- Assisted on intellectual property and trade considerations during one of the largest mergers of renewable energy companies in U.S. history.
- Assisted in representing a foreign-based shipping company before the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) at the U.S. Department of Treasury.
- Conducted due diligence evaluation of a mid-size medical technology firm prior to M&A transaction.
- Conducts due diligence and patentability evaluations for various products developed by a major pet supply retailer.
Patent Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2015
- United States Naval War College, M.A., 2011
- Old Dominion University, M.E.M., 2008
- United States Naval Academy, B.S., 2004
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Patent Agent, 2012-2015
- United States Navy
- Surface Warfare Officer, Nuclear, 2004-2011
Honors and Awards
Named the Pro Bono Volunteer of the Month by The Veterans Consortium, April 2019
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section
Contributor, Duane Morris Green IP Blog
Contributor, Duane Morris PTAB Practice Blog
“Breaking Down the Faraday Future Trade Secret Case,” IP Litigator, September/October 2018
Author, "3 Lessons From Sinovel’s Trade Secret Theft Conviction," Law360, March 8, 2018
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “Trademarks 101: How to Select and Build Your Brand,” presented to Service Academy Business Accelerators, July 18 and October 15, 2019
“Advanced Veterans Topics: Cultural Competency and Legal Ethics,” presentation to Duane Morris, November 28, 2018
“Discretionary Denials of IPR Petitions: the Landscape after iRobot and Oyster Optics,” presentation to Duane Morris Intellectual Property Group, September 27, 2018
“Impacts to PTAB Practice from SAS Institute,” presentation to Duane Morris Intellectual Property Group, May 17, 2018