Katharyn I. Christian McGee serves as Duane Morris' Associate Pro Bono Counsel and leads the firmwide Pro Bono Program. Ms. McGee supervises and coordinates the firm's delivery of pro bono legal services, including outreach to bar associations, public interest organizations, and business entities. Ms. McGee also works to enhance involvement by firm personnel and provide training for new attorneys and summer associates.
In addition to leading the firm's Pro Bono Program, Ms. McGee maintains a substantive practice in public interest/poverty law, focusing much of her work on representation of domestic violence and sexual trafficking survivors, as well as individuals with disabilities or terminal illnesses, veterans, and immigrants. Ms. McGee also serves as a liaison to the firm's Diversity & Inclusion committee.
Since joining Duane Morris in 2012, Ms. McGee has implemented several pro bono initiatives to aid human trafficking survivors and provide estate planning and legal assistance for oncology patients and families. She similarly leads the firm's pro bono efforts on behalf of veterans.
Ms. McGee has worked with the Southern Poverty Law Center and the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, among other pro bono legal services organizations. She has received numerous honors for her public interest work.
Ms. McGee is an honors graduate of the University of Alabama Law School with a Certificate in Public Interest Law, where she was editor-in-chief of The Journal of the Legal Profession. She also is a graduate of Vanderbilt University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Areas of Practice
- Pro Bono Law
- Domestic Violence/Child Advocacy
- Obtained U.S. Citizenship for various eligible lawful permanent residents residing in the United States.
- Part of a legal team that represented American College of Pathologists, Funeral Consumers Alliance, and experts in pathology and healthcare administration as amici before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt regarding proper disposition of pathological waste under universal standards of care .
- Part of a legal team that represented coalition of doctors, medical administrators and professionals as amici before the U.S. Supreme Court in Whole Woman's Health v. Cole regarding physician admitting privileges.
- Represented U.S. veterans in disability benefits claims and appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, Board of Veterans Appeals, and VA Regional Offices.
- Obtained lawful permanent residency in the United States for domestic violence survivors originally from Malawi and Trinidad & Tobago and other countries under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
- Represented numerous children in custody and abuse/neglect foster care matters to obtain permanency in safe homes.
- Regularly represents individuals in obtaining guardianship on behalf of disabled family members as well as obtaining social security benefits.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D. and Public Interest Certificate, cum laude, 2008
- Editor-in-Chief, The Journal of the Legal Profession
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa
- High Honors in Women's Studies
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate Pro Bono Counsel, 2015-present
- Pro Bono Manager, 2012-2015
- National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
- Pro Bono Coordinator, 2010-2011
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Associate Pro Bono Fellow, 2008-2010
- University of Alabama School of Law
- Clinical Law Program Fellow, 2007-2008
- The Southern Poverty Law Center
- Legal Intern, 2007
- Legal Services of North Florida
- Florida Bar Foundation Summary Fellow, 2006
- Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Upper Cumberlands
- Court Advocate, 2004-2005
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Association of Pro Bono Counsel
- Co-Chair. Reproductive Rights Taskforce
Philadelphia Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Public Interest Section, 2017
- Secretary, Public Interest Section, 2016
-- Executive Committee At-Large Member, 2015
-- Law Firm Pro Bono Committee
-- Women's Rights Committee
- Young Lawyers Division
Honors and Awards
- District of Columbia Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2012-present
- First Judicial District of Philadelphia Pro Bono Roll of Honor, 2013-present
- Hunton & Williams E. Randolph Williams Award, 2008-2010
- National Association of Women Lawyers Outstanding Student Award, 2008
- University of Alabama School of Law Dean's Community Service Award, 2008
- Vanderbilt University Magnolia Award Muliebrity Prize, 2005
- Recognized for promoting gender equity within the Vanderbilt University and Nashville communities.
- Alpha Delta Pi, Inc. Dorothy Shaw Leadership Award, 2005
- Highest national honor given to a collegiate sister.
Civic and Charitable Activities
- Lutheran Settlement House, Philadelphia, PA
- Board Member, 2016-Present
- Board Observer, Philadelphia Bar Association and Philadelphia Bar Foundation Board Observer Program, 2015
- St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA
- Member, Adult Education Committee
- Member, Social Justice Team
- Volunteer, St. Peter's Food Cupboard
- Profiled for "Pro Bono Happy Hour," Pro Bono Institute, September 28, 2017
- Inside Philadelphia's Immigration IMPACT Program, Law360, July 2, 2014
- Putting Legal Doctrines to the Test: The Inclusion of Attorneys as Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse, 32 J. Legal Prof. 215, 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Frequently speaks on ethics of pro bono representation
"Making Headway on the Right to Counsel," Duane Morris Alumni CLE, October 26, 2017
- Panelist, "Clearing Records for Human Trafficking Survivors," Villanova Law Institute to Address Commercial Sexual Exploitation and Drinker Biddle, June 20, 2017
- Panelist, "Collaborating to Clear Records for Survivors of Commercial Sexual Exploitation in California," The American Bar Association and Duane Morris, May 16 and 18, 2017
- Panelist, "Collaborative Clinics: Transformative Partnerships to Promote Access to Expungement Services," May 6, 2017
- Speaker, "Uniting to Serve: Ethics of Pro Bono Service with In-House Counsel," March 29, 2017
- Moderator, "Judicial Intervention: A Second Chance for Survivors of Sex Trafficking," National Council of Jewish Women New York and We Were Slaves: The Jewish Community Unites Against Sex Trafficking, October 19, 2016
- Speaker, "Pro Bono for Newbies," Association of Pro Bono Counsel (APBCo) Academy, September 27, 2016
- Panelist, "Discharge Upgrades," National Conference on Law Clinics Serving Veterans, November 3, 2015
- Panelist, "Coordination to Fight the Good Fight, Working Together," National Conference on Law Clinics Serving Veterans, November 3, 2015
- Speaker, "Ethics of Pro Bono and Board Services," Duane Morris LLP, October 23, 2015
- Speaker, "Ethics Potpourri August 2015 - The Ethics of Pro Bono ... Doing Good the Right Way," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 27, 2015