Krishna Ramachandra is Managing Director of Duane Morris & Selvam LLP in Singapore and of Duane Morris & Selvam (Myanmar) Limited. He is head of the Corporate, FinTech and TMT Practice Groups. His practice includes M&A and capital markets, investments funds, private equity, financial technology and telecommunications, media and technology. Krishna also has significant experience in Myanmar, having worked in Myanmar for over 5 years.
Krishna advises issuers, fund managers, investment banks, venture capitalists, listed and private companies, start-ups and high net worth individuals in Asia, Europe and the U.S. on a wide range of equity and debt securities issuances, compliance and regulatory matters. His extensive experience in mergers, acquisitions and take-overs, private equity participation and exit strategies has led to his being regularly cited by the reputable directories as a leading lawyer.
He is regarded as one of the most highly recommended lawyers in the practice area of Capital Markets (Foreign Firms), Corporate and M&A (Local and Foreign Firms) and TMT (Local Firms) in Singapore by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 edition and Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific, which regularly refer to "his creative yet practical and client-focused approach" and his "decisiveness and commerciality." Krishna is also recognized as a Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A (Domestic) in Singapore by Chambers and Partners, 2018 Global edition. In Myanmar, he is regarded as a Leading Lawyer in Corporate and M&A and a recommended lawyer in Projects (including Energy) by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018. IFLR1000 2018 also named Krishna as a "Highly Regarded Lawyer" in Singapore Capital Markets. Krishna has the unique and remarkable record of being recognized as having a Leading Lawyer status in multiple jurisdictions and practice areas. His grasp of commercial issues in the corporate arena is a testament to this.
Krishna is a corporate lawyer with a very commercial approach. His practice develops according to the needs of his clients and currently due to Singapore's emergence as one of the world's leading FinTech hubs, he has more of a focus on the legal and regulatory advice relating to new financial technology business models, including crowdfunding, peer-to-peer lending platforms, blockchain technology, virtual and digital currencies such as BitCoin and Ethereum, e-wallet and trading platforms. As his clients' trusted adviser, Krishna has established himself as one of Singapore's "go-to" lawyers for FinTech, having previously achieved a solid reputation in the TMT space, particularly in relation to telecommunications.
"Krishna’s intellectual stamina and acute appreciation of commercial realities make him a formidable adviser – his ability to come up with creative, workable solution is second-to-none." -The Legal 500.
Krishna graduated from Christ's College, Cambridge with an LL.M. in Corporate Finance on a Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer ("Freshfields") scholarship. He articled and qualified with Freshfields in London prior to relocating to Singapore with Clifford Chance. He subsequently joined Selvam LLC and is now Managing Director of Duane Morris & Selvam LLP.
Krishna is an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore and a Solicitor of England and Wales. He previously sat on The Singapore Law Society's Corporate Practice Committee for Mergers & Acquisitions and Insolvency, Corporate Commercial Matters, and Listing Matters. He speaks regularly on a wide range of topics relating to M&A, corporate governance, listings, fund raising and establishment of an Asian presence at venues around the world. Born in Sri Lanka, Krishna speaks English and Mandarin.
Duane Morris LLP is a law firm based in the United States founded in 1904. We use "Duane Morris" to refer to Duane Morris LLP, a Delaware limited liability partnership, and affiliated entities that practice under the name Duane Morris or a similar name. Reference to a "partner" means a person who is a partner, or person with the equivalent standing and qualifications thereto, in the Duane Morris entities.
In Singapore, Duane Morris Singapore LLP and Selvam LLC operate a Joint Law Venture serving clients throughout Asia, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP, pursuant to Licence 2/2010 granted by the Attorney General of Singapore. Selvam LLC lawyers may provide services to clients of Duane Morris & Selvam under secondment from Selvam LLC pursuant to Licence 2/2010.
To the extent that the representative matters listed above fall outside the context of “permitted areas of legal practice” within the meaning of Section 36A of the Legal Profession Act (Chap. 161), they have been conducted by the above named lawyer in his/her capacity as an Advocate & Solicitor of Selvam LLC, a Singapore law practice of the Joint Law Venture.
Honors and Awards
Leading Individual for Corporate/M&A: Domestic-Singapore - Chambers & Partners Global 2018
Leading Individual (Corporate M&A, Projects (including Energy) Myanmar) - The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
Listed by IFLR 1000 as 2018 Highly Regarded Lawyer for Capital Markets
Listed as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 for Capital Markets - Foreign Firms, Corporate and M&A - Foreign Firms, Corporate and M&A - Local Firms and TMT - Local Firms, Projects (including Energy), Myanmar
- Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific 2017 and Chambers & Partners Global 2017 for Corporate/M&A - Local Firms
- Who's Who Legal: Sports & Entertainment 2017 — Leading Lawyer for Sports Law & Entertainment
- Market-leading lawyer (Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A) - Asialaw Profiles 2017
- Best Lawyers in Singapore (Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity) — Best Lawyers in Singapore
- Global Law Expert (Corporate Law, Singapore; Corporate Finance, M&A Law and Corporate Law, Myanmar) - Global Law Experts Guide
Areas of Practice
Corporate & M&A
- Capital Markets
- Investment Funds & Private Client
- Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology
- England and Wales
- College of Law, London, Postgraduate Diploma
- University of Cambridge, LL.M.
- University of Leeds, LL.B. (Hons)
- Duane Morris & Selvam LLP/ Selvam LLC
- Clifford Chance LLP
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Past Member, Singapore Law Society Committee for Mergers & Acquisitions and Insolvency, Corporate Commercial Matters and Listing Matters
- Member, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Advised an Indian listed company on its takeover of a Singapore listed company.
- Advised the board of Maveric Limited on its reverse takeover by private asset owners.
- Advised British Telecommunications plc on the BT Wireless demerger and the subsequent listing of mmO2 on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advised British Telecommunications plc on their proposed trade sale of Syntegra.
- Advised the independent directors in relation to the voluntary delisting of Cathay Organisation Holdings Ltd. pursuant to Rule 1306 of the Listing Manual.
- Advised Heineken on corporate regulatory matters.
- Advised Sembawang Marine on their acquisition of certain key assets.
- Advised Nogle Group on its investment in TNG (Asia) Limited and TNG Global Limited, two affiliated digital payment companies in Hong Kong as part of a US$115 million Series A funding to support the development and regional expansion of e-wallet technology.
- Advised Vigilant Assets on the set up of its S$50 million fund catered towards investing into FinTech related businesses. The cornerstone investment is Jules Venture’s computing and coding business.
- Assisted a local company involved in the operation of web portals, who have developed a platform facilitating transactions with merchants using bitcoin, in drafting a memorandum setting out whether their business would be regulated by the Payment Systems (Oversight) Act and the Money-changing and Remittance Businesses Act.
- Assisted a company operating a cryptocurrency crowdfunding platform, who has completed an Initial Coin Offering (“ICO”), in preparing a legal memorandum in respect of responses to queries from the Monetary Authority of Singapore on whether its ICO or its business was regulated in Singapore.
- Advised on the sale of Ncell (the market-leading Nepalese telecommunication operator) by TeliaSonera to Axiata, at an enterprise value of USD 1.37 billion.
- Represented Dentsu Inc., a Japanese advertising and public relations company, in negotiating the licence for the media rights for the XXII Olympic Winter Games (2014) in Sochi, Russia, the Games of the XXXI Olympiad (2016) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the II Summer Youth Olympics Games (2014) in Nanjing, China for 22 Asian countries and territories with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and in drafting and negotiating a number of sub-licence agreements for those media rights with broadcast partners.
- Advised a Singapore company on the transfer of its 65% shareholding in a Tanzanian company which holds various telecommunication licenses to a Vietnamese state owned enterprise for US$65 million.
- Advised the selling shareholder of Timeturns Holding Ltd on the sale of its wholly-owned Cambodian subsidiary Latelz Company Ltd to Axiata Group Berhad, South-east Asia's second largest mobile phone provider, for US$155 million.
- Advised Maxis Communications Bhd. on telecommunication infrastructure agreements.
- Advised Morgan Stanley on worldwide technology regulatory issues.
- Advised Corus and Usinor on setting up a multimedia-based trading exchange in Europe.
- Advised Dentsu on various sport-related commercial agreements.
- Advised FIFA on the sale of the US$500 million Asian media rights for the World Cup 2010 and 2014.
- Provided advice on sports and media related regulatory matters to a variety of sports and media promoters including Nimbus Communications Limited.
- Advised various sport-governing bodies in respect to the exploitation of their commercial and media rights.
- Advised various companies including media promoters on a variety of sponsorship, licensing and merchandising deals.
- Advised a global real estate company and the fund manager on the establishment of a US$200-million private equity fund in India.
- Advised Ascott Group Limited and the fund manager on the establishment of a US$500 million private equity fund (China).
- Advised a U.S. investment bank on regulatory and licensing issues in Singapore.
- Advised various hedge funds on establishment and compliance issues in Singapore.
- Advised a private equity fund focused on real estate investments in ASEAN.
- Advised a Middle Eastern fund on the setup of a sharia-compliant real estate fund.
- Advised UOB Asset Management Limited on various funds related regulatory issues involving the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised on the regulatory issues and the setting up of a trading exchange dealing in sharia-compliant royalty entitlement contracts (involving MAS and SGX).
- Advised Jefferies & Co, global coordinator, on the first dual listing of a foreign entity (Omega Navigation) on the Nasdaq and Singapore Stock Exchange valued at over US$240 million.
- Advised British and Malayan Trustees Ltd, as the trustee for Allco REIT, in relation to the initial public offering on the SGX of 321,255,000 units in Allco REIT, sponsored by the Allco Finance Group Limited of Australia.
- Advised on the S$440 million listing of K-REIT Asia on the Singapore Stock Exchange by way of an introduction.
- Advised DBS Bank Limited as manager, underwriter and placement agent in relation to the listing and quotation of Singapore Depository Shares, which represented equity shares in the capital of Varun Shipping Company Ltd. (India).
- Advised on the US$1.6 billion international offering of subordinate notes issued by United Overseas Bank Limited under Rule 144A/Regulation S.
- Advised Yellow Pages (Singapore) Limited on their S$213 million flotation on the Singapore Stock Exchange under Rule 144A/Regulation S.
- Advised the underwriters on the Macquarie International Infrastructure Fund's $460 million IPO under Rule 144A/Regulation S.
- Advised Otto Marine Ltd. on their successful IPO on the Singapore Stock Exchange in November 2008.
- Advised on the US$-800 million IPO of ASTRO with international offering under Rule 144A / Regulation S (Malaysia).
- Advised Kenetics Innovations Ltd. on its admission onto the Alternative Investment Market (AIM).
- Advised Creative Technology on the voluntary delisting of its shares from the NASDAQ Global Market (NASDAQ).
- Advised on the US$300 million convertible bond issued by Prime Venture (Labuan)/Genting Berhad (Malaysia).
Corporate M&A / Takeovers
Financial Technology ("FinTech") and Cryptocurrencies
Telecommunications, Media and Technology
Investment Funds / Private Equity and Islamic Finance Advisory
Capital Markets (Equity and Debt)
- "An intelligent strategist that you simply need in your corner when negotiating a difficult deal." The Legal 500, 2016
- "Krishna's intellectual stamina and acute appreciation of commercial realities make him a formidable adviser - his ability to come up with creative, workable solutions is second-to-none." The Legal 500, 2015
- "He is very insightful and knows how to identify our concerns and those of the other parties so that he can reconcile things." Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014
- " … a sharp, polished lawyer who offers clever solutions to our problems." Chambers Asia Pacific 2011, A Client's Guide
- " … wonderful interpersonal skills, and ability to see things from the client's perspective." Chambers & Partners, Client Guide 2008
- " … clients recommend 'creative and meticulous' capital markets expert Krishna Ramachandra" The Legal 500 – Asia Pacific 2009/2010
- " … clients have highlighted the 'detailed and creative' approach of Krishna Ramachandra on M&A transactions" The Legal 500 – Asia Pacific 2009/2010
Co-author, "Implications of Delay in Commencement of New Myanmar Companies Law 2017," Duane Morris Alert, January 9, 2018
- Featured in the Myanmar Section of Annual Review, Mergers & Acquisition, Financier Worldwide, August 2017
Featured in video series "Doing Business in Myanmar," Conventus Law, June 26, 2017
- Quoted in, "Even without TPP, Trump presidency promises increased activity for lawyers," Asialaw, December 1, 2016
- Co-author, "Chapter 48: Myanmar," Mergers and Acquisitions Review, 2016
- Author, "Htin Kyaw — What Now?" Acquisition International Magazine, April 1, 2016
- Quoted in "All-Round Calibre Is Key for New Awards," The Straits Times, March 27, 2016
- Co-author, "Chapter 46: Myanmar," Mergers and Acquisitions Review, 2015
- Co-author, "Myanmar Insider," Storm, February 17, 2015
Featured in "Potential and Risks of Investing in Myanmar," Conventus Law, May 19, 2014
- "Investing in ASEAN: What Foreign Investors Need to Know," Investing in ASEAN, 2011
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "A Rising Asia: Developments and Opportunities from 'on the ground' in Singapore," San Francisco, March 2011
- "Disclosure Requirements for Listed Companies," Company and Securities Law 2009 Conference, Singapore, August 17-18, 2009
- "Due Diligence 'How Tos' for Young Corporate/Commercial Practitioners," September 9, 2008
- "Setting Up New Ventures in India: India Business Insights and Economic Outlook," Singapore, April 15, 2008
- "M&A and REITS,"Asia Business Forum's REIT Conference, February 27-28, 2008
- "Listing on AIM: Undertaking AIM Listings," June 29, 2007
- Private Equity / Investment – The 2012 Sweet Spot for Global Investment: Seizing Opportunity and Mitigating Risk in Southeast Asian Markets