Lan Yu is a Special Counsel of Duane Morris & Selvam LLP. She focuses her practice on corporate law, trust law and commercial law. She has been involved in many estate planning and succession matters, family office establishment and immigration matters for PRC high net worth individuals. She advises listed and private companies and high net worth individuals on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate governance, foreign direct investment projects and partnership. She regularly assists PRC corporations in setting up a presence in Southeast Asia and in undertaking corporate restructuringsm and also advises company officers on their duties, responsibilities and potential liabilities. She also advises on the design of, and regulatory compliance issues in relation to, employee share incentive schemes, employment compliance, employment termination and other employment-related matters.
Lan has delivered a number of presentations for China related seminars. She is also a regular speaker for ESSEC Business School Master in Management Program in Singapore.
Lan is a graduate of Columbia Law School in New York as well as Peking University Law School. She is tri-qualified in the People’s Republic of China, England and Wales as well as New York State and is registered as a foreign lawyer in Singapore.
Lan is a committee member of Singapore China Friendship Association and Vice President of Peking University Singapore Alumni Association. She is also an Affiliate member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Areas of Practice
- Private Client Service
- Corporate Law
- Commercial Law
- Represented Best World International, a Singapore-based premium skincare product developer, in its £27.7 million investment to acquire a minority stake in Margaret Dabbs London, a British luxury brand.
- Assisted a PRC real estate developer with its cooperation with Myanmar business partners in respect of a USD 300 million commercial property development project in Yangon, Myanmar.
- Assisted Yangzijiang Shipbuilding with its acquisition of Odfjell's Jiangyin terminals for the consideration of USD 46 million.
- Assisted an Asian top tax refund agency with its acquisition of a French tax refund agency.
- Assisted a leading global visa and immigration solutions company with its asset acquisition of an European company.
- Assisted a SGX-listed company with its acquisition of shares in an international school based in Singapore.
- Assisted a Chinese major corporation in marine electrical and automation with its joint venture establishment in Singapore.
- Assisted a Singapore major gourmet social media firm with the disposal of its shares to a private equity fund based in China.
- Assisted a renowned Singapore early learning center with its VIE structure joint venture in China and assisted with the preparation of a series of cooperation agreements under Hong Kong law.
- Assisted an Indian-listed company with its acquisition of an entity in the air coolants sector in China.
- Assisted leading bank financial leasing company with its regulatory compliance matters in Singapore.
- Assisted China’s leading game streaming platform with its regulatory compliance matters in Singapore.
- Assisted South Korean clients with the regulatory and contractual issues pertaining to initial coin offerings.
- Advised a Taiwanese bank on its application to the Central Bank of Myanmar for its banking license in Myanmar.
- Assisted a one of the world's leading cloud computing service providers with its employment-related matters in Singapore.
- Assisted a Chinese leading real estate development firm with its employment-related matters in Singapore.
- Assisted a U.S. NASDAQ-listed company with employment-related matters under PRC Law involved in a USD 260 million acquisition of a maker of wearable activity trackers, and advised on data privacy compliance issues within China for the launch of its new product.
- Assisted a U.S. NYSE-listed company with its employment-related matters under PRC law in China.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Regulatory and Compliance
- People's Republic of China
- England and Wales
- New York
- Columbia Law School, LL.M., 2018
- Peking University School of Law, LL.M., 2007
- China Pharmaceutical University, Bachelor of Science, 2004
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
- Special Counsel, 2020-present
- Associate 2015-2017, 2018-2020
- Author, "China's Issuance of a New Law and Guideline for Overseas Non-Governmental Organisations," Duane Morris & Selvam, 23 December 2016
Selected Speaking Engagements
- "Singapore's Legal System and Corporate Compliance," webinar organized by the China Family Office Association, September 2021
- "Singapore Family Office Online Course," online course (12 hours) organized by Family Office Connect, August-November 2021
- "Singapore's Legal System and Private Wealth Legal Practice," closed-door seminar organized by Singapore Future Family Office, Shanghai, September 2021
- "Singapore's Legal System and Private Wealth Legal Practice," closed-door seminar organized by Singapore Economic Development Board Shanghai Representative Office, Shanghai, September 2021
- "Singapore - Advantages and Legal Risks for PRC Enterprises’ Investment into Singapore,“ seminar co-organized by DMS and Singapore Economic Development Board, Shenzhen, June 2021
- "Employment Law Compliance in Singapore," seminar organized by Singapore Chinese Enterprises Association, November 2020
- "The Benefit and Legal Risks for PRC Enterprises’ Investment into Singapore," seminar organized by DMS together with Singapore Economic and Development Board, Shanghai, October 2020
- "Legal Risks, Governing Law of Contracts and Available Dispute Resolution Mechanism relating to Chinese Enterprises’ Outbound Investment," seminar organized by Hengdu Legal Group, Beijing, October 2020
- "Boilerplates Clauses in Commercial Contracts," online course for DMS internal training, Singapore, July 2020
- "How to Interpret and Draft Common Law Contract," online course (15 hours) organized by SuperLegal, June 2020
- "The Next Paradise for Offshore Family Trusts - Singapore," seminar organized by Chongqing Zhonghao Law Firm, Chongqing, December 2019
- "Rule of Law in Singapore and Private Wealth Legal Practice," eight seminars organized by Bank of Singapore in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, October 2019
"Rule of Law in Singapore," eight seminars "Singapore Insights" in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, October 2019
- "Risk Mitigation and Allocation – Drafting to Maximize Contract Performance," Training for the in-house team of a China’s leading game streaming platform, August 2019
"Cross-border M&A Practice," Seminar for Gansu University of Political Science and Law faculty, December 2019
- “Offshore Trusts," seminar organised by FO Institute, Shanghai, July 2019
- “Rule of Law in Singapore and Private Wealth Legal Practice,” seminar organized by UOB in Singapore, June 2019
"Contract Enforcement in China," Seminar for ESSEC Business School Master in Management Program in Singapore, April 2019
"The Relationship Between One Belt One Road Initiatives and Singapore," Seminar for Guangdong High Court Judge Delegation in Singapore, 20 March 2017
- "A Brief Introduction to the Investment Laws and Legal Systems of Myanmar and Singapore," Jiangsu Jinpin Lawyers' Alliance Formation Ceremony and Legal Forum in Jiangsu, China, 10 July 2016.