16 Collyer Quay #17-00
Mark Wong is a Director of Duane Morris & Selvam in Singapore in the Corporate Group. He serves as a team lead for the Duane Morris Transportation/Automotive industry group. His practice focuses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, includes advising on commercial contracts, joint ventures, private equity investments, corporate restructuring, SGX-ST listing rules, and construction and financing matters. He is listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 as a Recommended Lawyer for Projects & Energy (Local Firms) and Corporate and M&A (Local and Foreign Firms) in Singapore. IFLR1000 2019 reported the following client feedback: “Partner Mark Wong was very meticulous and knowledgeable in his work and showed great client handling skills and was commercially savvy. He is spot on in anticipating legal and commercial issues, probably as a result of his extensive experience in M&A work previously in France and China. I fully recommend him.”
Mark has extensive experience handling cross-border transactions—including advising and representing major companies and business groups in China, France, Myanmar, Singapore and other countries in Europe, Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa—across such industries as manufacturing, natural resources, power, insurance, transportation, pharmaceuticals and real estate.
Prior to entering private practice, Mark was Counsel-in-Charge of one of the six teams at the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration Secretariat in Paris.
Mark speaks fluent English, Mandarin, French and Cantonese.
Mark is admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore and as an avocat of the Court of Appeal of Paris.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Law
To the extent that the representative matters listed above fall outside the context of “permitted areas of legal practice” within the meaning of Section 36A of the Legal Profession Act (Chap. 161), they have been conducted by the above named lawyer in his/her capacity as an Advocate & Solicitor of Selvam LLC, a Singapore law practice of the Joint Law Venture.
- Advised a Sovereign Wealth Fund in its acquisition of a significant stake in a mixed property development project in Indonesia, and in the setting up of a strategic partnership for ongoing development.
- Advised Singapore subsidiary of PRC oil and gas company PetroChina in the acquisition of a stake in terminal storage facilities in the Union of the Republic of Myanmar.
- Advised PRC Sovereign Wealth Fund China Investment Corporation on its acquisition through block trade of a stake in a French satellite company listed on the Paris Stock Exchange.
- Advised China Merchants on its acquisition of a stake in a French container terminal developer and operator, which operates container shipping terminals in China, Korea, France, Malta, Belgium, Morocco and the USA.
- Advised Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production on its acquisition of oil and gas deposits in Kazakhstan.
- Advised Chongqing Sanfeng Environmental Industry Group on a consortium bid in relation to the development of a solid waste treatment and management project in India on a BOT basis.
- Advised State Grid Corporation of China on its acquisition of 7 high voltage electricity transmission assets in Brazil.
- Advised Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical on its acquisition of a Greek pharmaceutical company with affiliates in Greece, India, UK, Cyprus and Iceland.
- Advised Taiyuan Iron & Steel Group on its acquisition of nickel mines in Indonesia and mining related assets in the PRC, Panama, the British Virgin Islands, Labuan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Advised Chery Heavy Industry on its acquisition of an Oslo Stock Exchange listed agriculture equipment manufacturer and on its subsequent delisting.
- Advised the largest Chinese state-owned agribusiness conglomerate COFCO on its landmark acquisition of a French vineyard.
- Advised France Telecom on the acquisition of a substantial stake in a DRC based mobile services company from China's largest listed telecommunications manufacturer and wireless solutions provider, and on the acquisition of the remaining stake from the DRC government.
- Advised IBM on French securities law aspects of its French and US cash tender offers for the shares, bonds and warrants of a business intelligence company listed on Euronext Paris and Nasdaq.
- Advised French national rail freight operator SNCF Cargo on its acquisition of a substantial stake in an Italian rail freight operator.
- Advised electrical appliances manufacturer Legrand France on the acquisition of a Swedish holding company of the Russian Wessen Group, from a Finnish private equity firm.
- Advised France's leading poultry processor Groupe LDC on the acquisition of a chilled and frozen foods manufacturer from an English chilled prepared food company.
- Advised European private equity firm Bridgepoint on its investment in a French healthcare group involving a management package.
- Advised French mineral water company ALMA SA on its acquisition of a mineral water mountain from a major French multinational food products company.
- Advised leading French beer and wine producer Groupe Castel on the carve out and disposition of assets to a Japanese pharmaceutical group.
- Advised major British property development and investment company Hammerson Plc on the sale of a French shopping center to a South Korean pension fund.
- Advised European private equity firm Butler Capital Partners on the sale of shares in a French mushroom product cooperative company to a French food processing company.
- Advised CITIC Construction on a consortium bid for the design, build, finance, operation and transfer of a deep sea port and an industrial part at a Special Economic Zone in the Union of the Republic of Myanmar.
- Advised PRC property developer Qingjian Group Co., Ltd. on the setting up of a joint venture for the construction, development and management of a mixed-use development project in Yangon, Union of the Republic of Myanmar.
- Advised Tian Ping Auto Insurance on the setting up of a joint venture in the property and casualty insurance sector with a French multinational insurance firm, through merger.
- Advised State Grid Corporation of China on the setting up of a consortium with a Spanish civil engineering and construction company, for a consortium bid to own, construct, operate and maintain power transmission grids in Chile.
- Advised China Africa Development Fund on the setting up of a joint venture in Mali and Burkina Faso with a PRC vendor, for the operation of a group of pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised Air France-KLM on the establishment of a joint venture company in Canton with a major PRC airline for their respective air cargo businesses, and the setting up of cargo route revenue and profit sharing arrangements.
- Advised Air France-KLM on the establishment of a joint venture company in Mumbai with an Indian private sector maintenance, repair and overhaul services provider.
- Advised the French State through l'Agence des participations de l'Etat in high-level negotiations with a South Korean shipbuilding company, on the partial nationalization of a strategic French shipyard.
- Advised leading French beer and wine producer Groupe Castel on the setting up of a strategic multibillion alliance with the world’s second largest brewer for their respective beer and wine activities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advised French national railway company SNCF on the cross-border restructuring of rail partnership Eurostar for the creation of a stand-alone railway entity.
- Advised French national railway company SNCF on the restructuring of a rail partnership with the national rail companies of Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, involving complex quadri-party negotiations for the creation of a stand-alone railway entity.
- Advised Group Castel on a complex restructuring with the world's second largest brewer involving tracker shares, in relation to multibillion agro-industrial operations in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Acquisitions / Dispositions
Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Court of Appeal of Paris
- Institut d‘etudes politiques de Paris, Masters in International Economics
- Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense, Masters in International Commercial Law
- National University of Singapore, Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law
- University of Leicester, LL.B.
- Duane Morris & Selvam LLP/ Selvam LLC (Singapore)
- Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP (Singapore)
- Baker & McKenzie LLP (Beijing)
- Gide Loyrette Nouel (A.A.R.P.I.) (Paris)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration (Paris)
- Allen & Overy Shook Lin & Bok (Singapore)
Honors and Awards
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 as a Recommended Lawyer for Projects and Energy (Local Firms) and Corporate and M&A (Local and Foreign Firms)
Listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 as a Recommended Lawyer for Projects and Energy (Local Firms)
Featured in "How Myanmar Government is Encouraging Growth in Foreign Investment," Conventus Law, October 4, 2017
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "Outbound Investment in Southeast Asia", the New York State Bar Association Beijing Chapter Meet, Beijing, China, 17 October 2018
Co-Speaker, "ASEAN Manufacturing Outlook-Opportunities & Pitfalls," Solidiance & Duane Morris & Selvam LLP Joint Seminar, Marriot Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand, 5 April 2018