Miguel de Leon Perez practices in the area of corporate law, with experience in agreements between private companies and public agencies and cross-border private equity and corporate financing transactions, in particular with cross-border transactions between companies in the U.S. and Mexico and other Latin American countries. He is also a member of the firm's Cuba Business Group. He also works in a wide variety of corporate transactions, including public offerings, mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, reorganizations and bank credit facilities.
Mr. de Leon graduated from Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, cum laude, in 2009. He holds an LL.M. in Corporate and Financial Services Law from the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law and an LL.M. in Global Business Law from New York University School of Law. Mr. de Leon also holds a Certificate in Corporate Law from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas in Madrid, Spain. Admitted to practice in New York and Mexico, Mr. de Leon is fluent in Spanish and English and can speak some German.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Private Equity
- Corporate Financing
- International Law
- Represented Four Springs Capital Trust in expanding its current three-year revolving credit facility from $75 million to $125 million, with ability to increase to $200 million through an accordion feature; additional financing provided flexible, efficient cash management and risk management to grow client’s portfolio of net leased properties.
- Represented Stonemor Partners (NYSE: STON), a leading owner/operator of cemeteries and funeral homes in multiple states and Puerto Rico, in its $447.5 million recapitalization transaction, consisting of a $385 million private placement of 9.875% Senior Secured PIK Toggle Notes to various noteholders and concurrent private placement of $62.5 million of liquidation value of Series A Convertible Preferred Units of the Partnership to Axar Capital Management.
- Represented iAnthus Capital Holdings, Inc. (CSE: IAN; OTCQX: ITHUF) in its acquisition of CBD For Life, a top-ranked producer of innovative CBD-infused wellness, self-care, and beauty products.
- Represented an affiliate of Deerfield Management Company, L.P. in a $540 million acquisition financing for the purchase of an office building at 345 Park Avenue South, New York, New York and for the redevelopment of the building as office building with lab space; financing included three mortgage loans and a mezzanine loan.
- Represented The Lovesac Company (NASDAQ: LOVE), a technology-driven modular furniture designer and manufacturer, in its $64.4 million initial public offering.
- Represented Yonder Music Inc. in its receipt of a preferred equity investment of $10 million by Axiata Digital Services Sdn Bhd, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Asia. The transaction provided funding for the launch of a service-tier-bundle of digital music services on smart devices through a commercial licensing agreement with Celcom Mobile Sdn Bhd, one of Axiata's subsidiaries in Malaysia, under which the Yonder digital music application will be made available to more than 13 million Celcom subscribers in Malaysia.
- Advised The Lovesac Company, an American furniture retailer, in its reorganization and a $10 million bridge offering with different classes of stockholders.
- Collaborated in the divestment by Hill International, a global construction company, of its Construction Claims Group which was sold to Bridgepoint for $147 million.
- Represented CDN Oilfield Technologies & Solutions, in its entry into the Mexican market as well as in a $10 million secured first degree financing by Callidus Capital Corporation and a $5 million second degree financing by Computershare Trust Company of Canada.
- Represented CIBTvisas, Inc. in its acquisition of the Mexican immigration firm Enrique Arrellano Rincón Abogados, S. de R.L. de C.V. as part of its strategy to expand into Latin America.
- Advised Avkem International in its acquisition of Comercializadora de Productos de Sodio, S.A. de C.V. by a Mexican subsidiary.
- Performed due diligence on behalf of Middleby Corp., a global leader in the industry of foodservice equipment, for the acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of Cozzini LLC, a manufacturer of food processing equipment with more than $30 million in annual sales.
- Represented Cott Corp., a leading supplier of private label drinks, in the acquisition of Cliffstar Corp. in a US$500 million cash deal that made Cott one of the world's largest retailer brand beverage companies.
- Collaborated with the placement of debt on the NYSE through four separate private offers by CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. to exchange outstanding perpetual debentures for new senior secured notes denominated in Dollars.
- Assisted in drafting and submitting 20F and 6F Forms on behalf of CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. to the US Securities Exchange Commission.
- Advised Chinese company Golden Dragon Precision Copper Tube Group Inc., during its business start-up in Mexico with an investment of US$100 million.
- Drafted share purchase agreements and formalized liens on shares through the corporate records of Mexican companies, on behalf of J.P. Morgan Chase.
- Conducted negotiations with the Mexican Ministry of Defense on behalf of an aircraft completion company for entering into different services agreements.
- Advised a company in the construction industry for placing debt in the Mexican Stock Exchange under a debt authorized program of $70 million.
- Drafted mortgages, pledge agreements, notes and other documents for perfecting security interests in Mexico under various cross-border finance transactions.
- New York
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Global Business Law, 2012
- National University of Singapore, Faculty of Law, LL.M., Corporate and Financial Services Law, 2012
- Universidad Pontificia de Comillas, Certificate in Corporate Law, 2009
- Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Licenciado en Derecho (Law Degree), cum laude, 2009
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Greenberg Traurig
- Associate, 2013-2015
- JATA – J.A. Treviño Abogados, Monterrey, Mexico
- Associate, 2010-2013
- New York State Bar Association
- German (intermediate)
Co-author, "Mexico's Supreme Court Strikes Prohibition on Private Consumption of Marijuana, Paving Way for Legalization," Duane Morris Alert, November 8, 2018
Co-author, "New Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership Signed by Member States," Duane Morris Alert, March 9, 2018
Co-author, "Practical Manual of the Advantages and Opportunities of the Investment Promoting Corporation (SAPI)," Joint publication between the Mexican Stock Exchange, JATA and PricewaterhouseCoopers (publication date pending)
- Author, "The Mexican Law to Fight Money Laundering," JATA article, November 2012
Co-author, "New Rules for Immigration in Mexico," JATA article, November 2012
Co-author, "Construction," Getting the Deal Through, International Bar Association, Edition 2011