Miriam O. Hyman practices in the area of international corporate law, representing clients predominantly based in Brazil, including manufacturers, banks, financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds, and high net worth individuals in their activities worldwide. She also has extensive experience in employment matters.
Ms. Hyman is a 1977 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, where she was articles editor for Hofstra Law Review, and a summa cum laude graduate of Brandeis University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She speaks Portuguese.
Areas of Practice
- International Corporate Law
- International Banking Law
- Capital Markets
- Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Represented Bank Negara Indonesia in a borrowing in which Bank of America acted as lender.
- Obtained approval from the Federal Reserve Board and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) for Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul, S.A. to open a branch in Miami.
- Represented Brazilian-based clothing designer, cachaça manufacturer and cosmetic company in financing, organizing and operating their businesses in U.S.
- Prepared disclosure documents for numerous structured products and account agreements for several banks and financial institutions.
- Advised U.S. investor in structuring private equity fund for investment in Brazilian portfolio companies.
- Represented U.S. banks in secured financings in U.S., Mexico, Portugal and Brazil.
- Represented Dutch private equity group in the formation of Cayman private equity funds and in acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio investments in the U.S. and Europe.
- Represented Spanish-based group in disposition of assets and liquidation of U.S. retail operations.
- Represented Brazilian banks in cross-border aircraft leasing and secured financing transactions.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 1977
- Brandeis University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1963
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Robinson Silverman/Bryan Cave LLP
- Partner, 1989-2007
- Hofstra University Law School
- Adjunct Professor - International Business Law, January-June 2007
- Cameron & Hornbostel (formerly Cameron Hornbostel & Butterman)
- Partner, 1984-1989
- Katz Leavy Rosensweig & Sindle (merged with Greenbaum, Wolff & Ernst)
- Associate, 1980-1982
- Fulbright & Jaworski LLP (formerly Reavis & McGrath)
- Associate, 1977-1979
- Appellate Division, Second Department, Nassau County
- Law Clerk to Hon. Leon Lazer, 1979
- New York Civil Liberties Union, Nassau County Chapter
- Executive Director, 1969-1973
- Nassau County Family Court
- Probation Officer, 1963-1966
- Brazilian American Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Committee on Trade and Business Investment
- American Foreign Law Association, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Women in Law, Hofstra University Law School, Awardee, 2019
- Listed in Avenue Magazine's Legal Elite: New York City's Top Women Lawyers, 2011
- Listed in Manhattan edition of Super Lawyers, 2006
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Advisory Board of the Women's Studies Research Center
- Hofstra University Law School
- Law Review Alumni Advisory Board
- Business Law Advisory Committee
- 71st Street Lexington Corporation
- Board of Directors, 2013-present; 2004-2007; 1998-2001; 1990-1993
- President, 2006-2007; 1999-2001; 1991-1993
- Court Appointed Special Advocates - NYC
- Board of Directors, 2011-2015
- Brooklyn Child and Family Services, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Vice President, 2009-2011
- Kinhaven Music School, Weston, Vermont
- Board of Directors, 2000-2007
- New York Civil Liberties Union
- Governance Committee, 2005-2010
- Board of Directors, 1998-2006; Director Emeritus - Elected 2013
- Mayor's Task Force on Status of Women
- Steering Committee, 1991-1992
- EAC, Inc. (Social Service and Court Diversion Agency)
- Counsel and Member, Board of Trustees, 1987-1992
- Co-author, "LIBOR Set to End by 2021," Duane Morris Alert, August 2, 2017
- Co-author, "IRS Proposes New U.S. Tax Reporting by Foreign-Owned U.S. Limited Liability Companies," Duane Morris Alert, May 18, 2016
- Co-author, "U.S. Financial Reform: The Regulation of Derivatives and Swap-Trading Provisions," Duane Morris Alert, August 24, 2010
- "Are Sweep Accounts at Risk if Bank Fails?" American Bar Association Banking Journal, July 2005
- Contributing Columnist on Issues of Employment Law, www.workingwoman.com, 2001
- "Foreign Government Offices in U.S. Subject to U.S. Employment Laws," Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, October 2001
Quoted, "A Cautionary Tale: The High Price of a Wall Street Office Romance," New York Magazine, January 8, 1990
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, "Corporate Law Boot Camp," Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York, October 25, 2019
Speaker, "The Challenges of Arbitration and Arbitration Clauses," New York State Bar Association, São Paulo, March 12, 2019
Panelist, "Corporate Law Boot Camp," Hofstra Law, Hempstead, New York, October 2018 and 2019
Speaker, "Getting a Green Card with EB5 Visa-How Does It Happen?," Hong Kong Association of New York, November 16, 2017
Speaker, "Starting a Business in NY," Hong Kong Association of New York
- Panelist, "Breaking the Glass Ceiling - Is It Worth It?" Hong Kong Association of New York, March 29, 2017
- Speaker, "International Sales Contracts: what practitioners need to know," New York State Bar Association, Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 7, 2015
- Speaker, "Jurisdiction Selection Clauses in International Contracts," International Law Conference sponsored by Buranello & Passos, Sao Paulo, Brazil