Patricia H. Heer practices in the area of business reorganization, financial restructuring and commercial litigation. She has represented all constituencies in and prior to bankruptcy proceedings and litigation spanning across a wide range of industries. She has successfully litigated a variety of business, contract, collection, and director and officer disputes.
Additionally, Ms. Heer advises a wide array of cannabis businesses and ancillary businesses, including national advocacy groups focused on changing cannabis related prohibition laws, investors, license applicants, cultivators and dispensaries and hemp brands.
Ms. Heer previously served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Grossman of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Ms. Heer is a 2006 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, where she was Research Editor for the Hofstra Law Review, and a graduate of St. John's University (B.A., summa cum laude). She is fluent in Polish.
- Represented multiple sellers of an entity in bankruptcy litigation and two separate state court proceedings, where purchaser of entity asserted fraud and contract claims in connection with the sale; won motion to dismiss in bankruptcy litigation and successfully defended against motion to dismiss in state court litigation, allowing negotiations and settlement to proceed on terms satisfactory to clients.
- Advising a national nonprofit advocacy group focused on changing cannabis and cannabis related prohibition laws.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors of a nursing home facility located in Westchester, NY.
- Represented a nonprofit plan sponsor group in the reorganization of the New York City Opera Inc.
- Counsel to the special servicer in obtaining a $30 million judgment against the owner of a $1 million-plus shopping mall.
- Represented an individual bondholder in a contested confirmation hearing over terms of a plan and change of control trigger contained in the controlling indenture.
- Represented an affiliate of Sleepy's LLC in its winning bid to acquire 100% of the membership interests in Mattress Discounters Group, LLC, an 80-store mattress chain in Virginia, for $11.9 million.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee of New England Compounding Company in administering company facing hundreds of lawsuits and criminal investigations, and secured approximately $200 million in compensation for creditors through settlements with shareholders, third-party providers, entities that had business relationships with the company, and the company's insurers.
- Served as special counsel to Chemtura Corporation, one of the largest publicly traded specialty chemical companies in the United States with more than 4,000 employees and thousands of business relationships worldwide, in connection with its chapter 11 proceedings.
- Counsel to the secured lender in a multimillion-dollar contested confirmation hearing concerning a retail shopping center in upstate New York.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2006
Research Editor, Hofstra Law Review
- St. John's University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2002
- Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2017-present
- Associate, 2009-2017; 2006-2008
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Grossman, 2008-2009
Civic and Charitable Activities
- New York City Bar Association, New York City Affairs Committee Member
National Cannabis Industry Association Member
New York City Chapter Women Grow Supporter
- New York City Bar Justice Center Pro Bono Consumer Bankruptcy Project
- volunteer in bankruptcy clinics
- Cannabis Law Digest, Editor
Quoted, "My Legal Eagle," The ABC's of CBD
- "Is Bankruptcy An Option For Ancillary Marijuana Businesses?," Law360, July 21, 2017
- "U.S. Trustee to Marijuana Businesses: 'NIMBC' - Not in My Bankruptcy Court," Duane Morris Alert, June 29, 2017
- "No Tax Relief For New Mexico's Marijuana Businesses," Law360, June 1, 2017
- "No Relief for Marijuana Businesses' Limitations on Tax Deductions," Duane Morris Alert, May 30, 2017
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker, "CWCBExpo NY," Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York City, May 30, 2018
Speaker, "Introduction to Cannabis & Tri-state Medical Programs," Cannabis Law Summit, Duane Morris LLP, New York, New York, May 17, 2018
Presenter, "Cannabis 105: Investing in Cannabis," The Duane Morris Cannabis Webinar Series, May 15, 2018
Panelist, "Cannabis - The New Investing Frontier," ACG New York, New York City, April 17, 2018
Speaker, "Getting Into the Weeds of Legal Marijuana/Cannabis," NJICLE, New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 26, 2018
- Presenter, "Know the Law: The Legal Side of a Cannabis Business," NYC Women Grow, October 12, 2017
- Presenter, "Cannabis and Social Media with Some Practical and Legal Implications," 4th Annual Cannabis World Congress & Business Exposition, October 6, 2017
- Moderator, "How to Do Cannabusiness Without Touching the Plant," NYC Women Grow, June 1, 2017