Paul D. Moore focuses his practice on business reorganization bankruptcy law and related litigation and loan workouts and restructuring. With more than 40 years of experience, he represents debtors in possession and Chapter 11 trustees in a wide range of reorganization cases under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code pending in various jurisdictions, including Delaware and New York, as well as Massachusetts, and has served as a Chapter 11 trustee and state court receiver. He also represents creditors in bankruptcy and loan workout matters..
A Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy, Mr. Moore is a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors. For a number of years, he has been recognized as a "Super Lawyer" in Boston magazine and named one of Corporate Counsel magazine's "Best Lawyers." He also has been listed in multiple editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Who's Who in America, "The Best Lawyers in America", and the Insolvency & Restructuring Expert Guide as well as on the web sites "Best of the United States" and "Madison Who's Who." A frequent author and lecturer on bankruptcy and loan workout matters, Mr. Moore is a 1976 graduate of Boston College Law School and a graduate of Boston College.
- Represented CrossHarbor Capital Partners LLC in connection with its acquisition of The Yellowstone Club, a world-class private ski and golf community situated on more than 13,500 acres of private land located in Big Sky, Montana, in the Yellowstone Club’s Chapter 11 case in Montana. Also served as lead counsel in a wide range of related appellate matters, litigation and adversary proceedings arising out of the acquisition and related appeals to the Montana District Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals challenging confirmation of the plan. After nearly a decade of litigation and appeals between and among numerous parties, all or substantially all of those disputes have been concluded.
- Served as Chapter 11 Trustee of New England Compounding Company (“NECC”) and lead counsel of the Duane Morris team representing the Chapter 11 Trustee. NECC faced hundreds of lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the United States and related criminal investigations arising out of the largest outbreak in United States history of fungal meningitis alleged to have resulted in more than 78 deaths and 750 serious injuries. Secured over $200 million for distribution to creditors as a result of settlements with various shareholders, third-party healthcare providers and others, and their respective insurers.
- Represented private equity firm Clarion Capital Partners and its portfolio company Lenox Corporation in Lenox's successful $22.2 million bid in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts to acquire, in a Section 363 sale, substantially all of the assets of Reed and Barton Corporation, a prominent American silversmith manufacturer.
- Represented purchaser and its joint venture partners in the acquisition of the Spanish Peaks ski resort in sale proceedings in the Montana Bankruptcy Court.
- Palm Harbor One, LLC
- Lan-Tel Technologies
- SOS Realty LLC
- Integrated Fuel Cell Technologies, Inc.
- Seafood Services, Inc., d/b/a Macleans Seafood
- USM Corporation, d/b/a United Shoe Machinery
- Med Diversified, Inc. (publicly held) and various subsidiaries
- Olympus Healthcare Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries
- Co-counsel to BREED Technologies, Inc. and numerous subsidiaries, one of the world's largest manufacturers of passive restraint systems, in their chapter 11 reorganization.
- Co-counsel to Video Update, Inc. and its various subsidiaries in chapter 11 reorganization of their retail network of 585 corporate-owned specialty video stores and 35 franchised stores located in 29 states and five provinces in Canada.
- Counsel to CareMatrix Corporation (publicly held) and its various subsidiaries in their chapter 11 reorganization. The companies owned and operated 36 assisted living and other long-term care facilities for the elderly in 11 states.
- In re Lids Corp. (Counsel to the Debtor)
- Co-counsel to Caribbean Petroleum, LP, the largest petroleum producer and distributor in Puerto Rico, in its Chapter 11 case in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Digital Broadband Communications
- Vitts Networks, Inc.
- Peter Tourtellot, as Ch. 11 Trustee of Color-Tex International, Inc.
- Post Tool, Inc.
- Counsel to the Creditors' Committee of Learningsmith, Inc., a retailer of children's educational products with stores located throughout the United States.
- John J. Aquino, Esq., as Creditors Trustee of First New England Dental Centers
- Stephen S. Gray, Chapter 11 Trustee of V&M Management, Inc., d/b/a Mandela
- Arrow Automotive Industries, Inc. (publicly held)
- Symbolics, Inc. (publicly held)
- Sanborn, Inc. (publicly held) and subsidiaries Environmental Compliance Corporation and Centrifuge Consultants, Inc.
- Heron Pond LLC
- Heron Pond Construction Company
- Home Life Medical, Inc.
- Antaeus Energy Corporation and Affiliates:
-Mineral Development Corporation
-Resource Recovery II, LLC
-Coal Recovery I, LLC
-Coal Recovery II, LLC
-Coal Recovery III, LLC
-Greenfield Environmental Recovery II, LLC
-Antaeus Gary Project Inc.
-MDC of Illinois, Inc.
-Anateus Technical Services, Inc.
- Martha's Vineyard Hospital, Inc./Martha's Vineyard Hospital Foundation, Inc.
- Harrison J. Goldin, Chapter 11 Trustee of Monarch Capital Corp. (publicly held)
- Boston Harbor Marina Corp.
- Lincoln North Associates Ltd. Partnership
- Spencer Companies, Inc. (publicly held) and 27 subsidiaries
- Happy Legs, Inc.
- Provincetown-Boston Airlines, Inc. (publicly held)
- One Bancorp (bank holding company)
- Leading Edge Products, Inc.
- Chelmsford Medical Associates, Inc.
- Choate-Symmes Hospitals, Inc.
- Morton Shoe Stores, Inc.
- Financial Equity Services, Inc.
- Commercial Management Services, Inc.
- Roxse Homes, Inc
- Paul's Distributors, Inc.
- Logical Software, Inc.
- A.H. Leeming, Inc.
- Clermont, Inc.
- Stephen S. Gray, Chapter 11 Trustee of William T. Bates
- Stephen S. Gray/Henry Boroff, Chapter 11 Trustees of Fidelity Mortgage Company, Inc.
- Stephen S. Gray, Chapter 11 Trustee of CIM Communications, Inc.
- Stephen S. Gray, Chapter 11 Trustee of TLX Communications, Inc.
- Stephen S. Gray, Chapter 11 Trustee of Katie Brooke, Inc.
- Stephen B. Darr, Chapter 11 Trustee of Claude C. Rancourt and Matriarch, Inc.
- Encryption Technology Corporation
- Wholesale Depot, Inc./Warehouse Depot, Inc.
- Sportsmed, Inc.
- TCM Holding Corp., d/b/a Tile City
- Edward G. LeRoux, Jr.
- Winchester Associates Limited Partnership, d/b/a Gables at Winchester
- Guilford Development Associates Limited Partnership, d/b/a Gables at Guilford
- Albert F. Curran, Sr.
- Bradford, Inc.
- 110 Beaver Street Partnership
- Second West, LLC
- First West, LLC
- South City, LLC
- Neponset Village Associates
- Cityside Realty Trust
- Third West Realty Trust
- Widett Slater & Goldman, P.C.
- H. J. Davis Development Corp
Current/Recent Chapter 11 Cases
Past Chapter 11 Representations
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1976
- Boston College, B.S., 1973
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1999-present
- Choate, Hall & Stewart, Boston, Massachusetts
- Partner, 1990-1999
- Foley, Hoag & Eliot, Boston, Massachusetts
- Partner, 1982-1990
- Associate, 1979-1982
- Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault, Boston, Massachusetts
- Associate, 1976-1979
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Boston Bar Association
- Co-chair, The Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors' (AIRA) 21st Annual Conference, Boston, June 2005
- Co-chair, The Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) 27th Annual Conference, Boston, June 2011
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers, 2020
Named an Avvo Top-Rated Lawyer, 2019
Selected for 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who's Who
Multiple annual ratings as "Highly Regarded" for Restructuring and Insolvency by IFLR1000
Multiple annual listings in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers
- Multiple annual listings in The Best Lawyers in America
- Multiple annual listings in Best Lawyers in New England for Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law
- Multiple annual listings in Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation by ALM Legal Leaders
- Multiple annual listings in Who's Who in America
- Multiple annual listings in Massachusetts Super Lawyers
Multiple annual listings in Expert Guide's Guide to the World's Leading Banking Finance and Transactional Lawyers
Multiple annual listings in Top Rated Lawyers for Banking & Finance Law
Multiple annual listings in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition
Multiple annual listings in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Multiple annual listings in Who's Who in American Law
Multiple annual listings in Madison's Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals
Multiple annual listings in Marquis Who's Who
Multiple annual listings in Super Lawyers Top Lawyers in New England
- Multiple annual listings in Corporate Counsel's Top Lawyers - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law
Multiple annual listings in the Insolvency & Restructuring Expert Guide (formerly Guide to the World's Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers)
Multiple annual listings in "Best of the United States" (www.bestofus.com)
Multiple annual listings in Boston's Best Lawyers
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
Contributing Author, “Local Bankruptcy Rules: Massachusetts,” Thompson Reuters Practical Law (online resource), 2018
Co-author, "First Circuit Rejects Seventh Circuit's Approach to Rejection of Trademark Licenses: Licensees Retain No Post-Rejection Trademark Rights," Duane Morris Alert, January 25, 2018
Co-author, "Second Circuit Reverses Lower Court's Restrictions on the Restructuring of Bondholder Rights in Marblegate," Duane Morris Alert, February 16, 2017
- Co-author, "First Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel Latest to Warm Up to Protections for Trademark Licensees in Bankruptcy," Duane Morris Alert, December 12, 2016; republished in IP Frontline on December 21, 2016
- Author, "Colleges Should Note A New Trend Among Bankruptcy Trustees," Law360, October 12, 2016
- Co-author, "Massachusetts Bankruptcy Court Rules That Parents Receive Reasonably Equivalent Value in Exchange for Paying Their Child's Tuition," Duane Morris Alert, September 14, 2016
- Featured in, "Judge Acknowledges Duane Morris Partner's Exceptional Results in NECC Bankruptcy," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, January 15, 2016
- Co-author, "Personnel Files and Documents Relating to "Hand-Picked" Directors Ruled Discoverable in Breach of Fiduciary Duty Action Against Private Equity Firm," Duane Morris Alert, November 23, 2015
- Co-author, "New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Upholds Trademark Licensees' Rights to Use Trademark Despite Licensor's Bankruptcy," Duane Morris Alert, November 26, 2014
- Contributing Author, Bankruptcy Litigation, Second Edition, 2007, published by Thomson Reuters/West
- Author, "Pre- and Post-Bankrupcty Strategies Involving Section 1104 and the Implications for Turnaround Professionals: Contrasting in re The 10311 Tax Group, LLC with In re ASARCO, LLC," Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, June/July 2008
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "The Assault on the Secured Creditor," American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, Brewster, Massachusetts, July 8, 2010
- Speaker, "Dos and Don'ts of Being an Expert Witness," AIRA's 24th Annual Bankruptcy and Restructuring Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 5, 2008
- Speaker, "Financial Advisors Toolbox," AIRA's 27th Annual Bankruptcy and Restructuring Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, June 8, 2011