Ralph Carter represents companies and individuals in complex commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts, as well as in regulatory matters before various governmental agencies. Mr. Carter is a member of the firm’s Technology, Media and Telecommunications, Insurance/Reinsurance, and Banking and Finance Industry groups. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Carter served as the Electronic Discovery Manager in the legal department of a global financial services institution, in which role he developed expertise in managing electronic discovery in connection with complex legal and regulatory matters and internal investigations. Mr. Carter is a 2014 cum laude graduate of St. John’s University School of Law, where he was a Ronald H. Brown Scholar and Executive Notes and Comments Editor for the Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development. Mr. Carter is a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt in Litigation Project Management in Collective and Class Actions.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Software and Technology Disputes and Internal Investigations
- Incident Response and Counseling
- Cybersecurity/Data Privacy
- Obtained unanimous affirmance on behalf of an insurer on a certified question to the New York State Court of Appeals, in which the Court ruled that there is no implied private right of action under the New York Public Health Law for bad-faith and malicious reporting to New York’s Office of Professional Medical Conduct.
Obtained affirmance of dismissal of patent infringement claim against internet technology company, and an award of attorneys’ fees as prevailing party under 35 U.S.C. § 285.
- Representing insurance company in defense of auto body shop claims under New York consumer protection statute.
- Obtained complete victory in pro bono Hague Convention Child Abduction proceeding resulting in return of child to mother in country of origin.
- Secured voluntary withdrawal of appeal for insurance company after dismissal of health care provider's claim of false reporting to federal prosecutors.
- Obtained successful resolution of complex commercial dispute concerning sale of nursing homes and adult health care centers.
- Obtained favorable resolution for sole shareholder and officer of closely held corporation in dispute with former shareholder.
- Obtained successful resolution of complex commercial dispute on behalf of Danish women's apparel manufacturer in connection with corporate dissolution proceedings involving U.S. distributor affiliate.
- Represented Mexican food processing company in New York federal court action seeking stay of international arbitration pending before the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Obtained complete dismissal for Kingdom of Denmark in case brought by U.S. citizen concerning Danish child custody proceedings on grounds of sovereign immunity.
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2014
- Executive Notes and Comments Editor, Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development
- Ronald H. Brown Scholar
- St. Joseph's College, B.S., Organizational Management, high honors, 2010
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Macquarie Holdings (U.S.A.) Inc.
- Senior Manager, Discovery Support (Group Legal), 2012-2014
- National Bar Association
- Region II Deputy Director
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Commercial Division Committee, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
- New York City Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Civic and Charitable Activities
Board Member, A Call to Men
- Contributing Author, Guide to Private Equity Regulatory Compliance. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (Thompson Information Services; in partnership with the Association for Corporate Growth)
- Author, Too Much Information! The Need for Stronger Privacy Protection for the Online Activities of Employees and Applicants," 28 J. Civ. Rts. & Econ. Dev. (2016)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, "Commercial Division Rules Changes And Application Of Rules To Trial Parts," New York State Bar Association Webinar, April 8, 2021
- Moderator, “Get Started! Maximize Your Finances,” National Bar Association’s Economic Empowerment Institute (in partnership with Wells Fargo), March 25, 2021
- Moderator, "Emerging Practice Areas: Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning; Cybersecurity/Data Privacy; and Cryptocurrency," New York City Bar Association, New York, March 24, 2021
- "The Power of Developing Authentic Relationships," 2020 Associate Leader Institute, New York City Bar, Webinar, September 9, 2020
- Moderator, "Emerging Practice Areas: Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning; Cybersecurity/Data Privacy; and Cryptocurrency," New York City Bar Association, New York, November 4, 2019
Panelist, “Addressing Implicit Bias in the Workplace CLE Program” - Deloitte, Duane Morris & A Call To Men, December 11, 2018
Panelist, “Addressing Implicit Bias in the Workplace CLE Program” - Deloitte, Duane Morris & A Call To Men, November 14, 2018
Moderator, "Emerging Practice Areas: e-Discovery, Privacy, Cryptocurrency," New York City Bar, October 30, 2018
Panelist, "Addressing Implicit Bias in the Workplace," MBBA, Deloitte & Duane Morris CLE Program, August 8, 2018
- Moderator, "On Ramp to Success," City Bar, November 14, 2016
- Panelist, "Opening Session of the 2016/17 City Bar New Lawyer," Nonlinear Careers, September 6, 2016
- Speaker, "An Evening with New York City Corporate Counsel Zachary Carter," City Bar, March 15, 2016
- Panelist, "On Ramp to Success," City Bar, January 5, 2016
- Panelist, "Careers in E-Discovery: Life Beyond Document Review!" City Bar, November 17, 2015
- Opening Speaker, "Law Student Welcome Reception," City Bar, September 12, 2015
- Panelist, "Opening Session of the 2015/16 NLI: Successful Careers with Nonlinear Paths," City Bar, August 26, 2015