Areas of Practice
- Private Equity/Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Venture Capital
- Represented a substance abuse and mental health treatment company in a $231 million debt and equity financing from a private equity fund to finance the growth of the company's multi-state rehabilitation and recovery center business.
- Represented WineAccess, Inc., a direct-to-consumer (DTC) wine eCommerce company, in its acquisition by Norwest Venture Partners, a global, multi-stage venture capital and growth equity investment firm.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of a portfolio company to strategic for $140.0 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in the control investment in an energy services company and a subsequent add on.
- Represented seller of assisted living services company to a public strategy.
- Represented a privately held healthcare IT software company in negotiation for sale to large strategic investor.
- Represented a growth capital fund in an investment in a bridge-note offering by a provider of an integrated suite of content management, collaboration, portal and business-intelligence software solutions.
- Represented a leading global investor in renewable-energy and energy-efficient industries in a bridge-note financing of a provider of residential energy-management systems for the utilities industry and its consumers.
- Represented a private equity firm as lead investor in a follow-on offering by a provider of high-performance, unified information-security systems.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a $150.0 million health capital fund.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a $150.0 million real estate fund to invest in university student housing projects.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a $250.0 million real estate fund as a subsidiary of a public REIT.
- Advised sponsor on formation of a fund of funds.
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Global Board of Directors, 2010-present
- Chair, 2015-2016
- Philadelphia Chapter, Past President, 2008 and 2009; currently Ex-Officio Board Member
- Advisory Board, Center for Corporate Governance, Drexel University LeBow School of Business
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association - Business Law Section, Past Chair
- New York
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, A.B.
- Duane Morris LLP - Partner, 2010-present
- Ballard Spahr LLP - Partner, 2002-2010
- Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP - Partner, 2000-2002
- Mesirov Gelman Jaffe Cramer & Jamieson LLP - Chairman, 1991-2000
Honors and Awards
Rated as "Highly Regarded" for M&A by IFLR1000, 2018 and 2019
Philadelphia Inquirer: Influencer of Law, 2019
Listed in U.S. News/Best Lawyers "The Best Lawyers in America," 2007-2014, 2016-2020
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007-2019
- Listed in Best Lawyers Greater Philadelphia, 2016
- Association for Corporate Growth - Global Board of Directors
- University City Science Center - Past Chairman, Director
- University of the Arts — Trustee — 2000-2014
Quoted in "ACG Goes to Washington," Middle Market Growth, July 8, 2019
- Quoted in "Private-Equity Lobby: Phila's Jaffe Chairs ACG," Philly.com, October 13, 2015
- Quoted in "ACG Preps for Another Run at Dodd-Frank with New Definition of Middle-Market Funds," Thomson Reuters, November 4, 2014
- Co-author, "SEC Enforcement Actions Against Private Equity: Get Ready for More," Duane Morris Alert, February 6, 2013
- Co-author, "How to Protect a Company's Most Valuable Asset: A Brand's Worth," Philadelphia SmartCEO, June 2011
- "Fraud Risk Factors," Philadelphia SmartCEO, May 2011
- "Private Equity Is a Process," chapter in Inside the Minds: Deal Strategies for Venture Capital and Private Equity Lawyers, January 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
Speaker,"Updates from the Capitol--The Latest on Tax Reform and M&A," ACG InterGrowth 2018, San Diego, Cal., May 3, 2018
Panelist, General Partner/Investment Banker Roundtable with GF Data, New York City, April 17, 2018
- Speaker, "Outlook for Deal Making and Loan Pricing in the Middle Market," BUYOUTS Chicago, June 23, 2015
- Interview of Marc Wyatt, Deputy Director, Office of Compliance Inspection and Examinations, Securities and Exchange Commission — ACG Public Policy Summit, Washington DC, January 27, 2015
- Speaker, "Public Policy and the SEC," ACG New York, Long Branch, NJ, August 18, 2014
- Moderator, "Public Policy and M&A - Governing the Future," 2014 Emerging Leaders Symposium, New York, June 24, 2014
- Moderator, "Inside the Mind of the Limited Partner Intergrowth Edition," ACG InterGrowth 2014, April 30, 2014, Las Vegas, NV
- "Securities and Exchange Commission - Investment Adviser Exam Program," Webinar, May 7, 2014
- Interviewed, "GPs Under Attack: Fundraising and Regulation," Privcap, May 23, 2013